Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,950   Posts: 193,073   Members: 6,828   Active Members: 294
Welcome to our newest member, JuniorCyclist.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Little Briefcase that Can Fit Almost Anywhere: early Daylight Briefcase review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the S19 in Grey/UV and it is a really nice medium grey. Not as dark as my A30 in Steel ballistic. I like it because it is neutral but not basic black.

Comment

Thanks very much for the color help. Thankfully I can see them but comparing the swatches to the photos just wasn't computing for me! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
        Pictures of Plum DLBC in Nordic Dyneema Swift. The DLBC is holding a 13" MacBook Air in a cache, but is not otherwise loaded.

Top view showing where the top of the Plum Daylight Briefcase sits relative to the clear zippered pockets (measured to rest about 1.2" or 30 mm below the zipper). You can see the sag in the Nordic 400d Dyneema near the bottom of the bag.
        [ATTACH]8953[/ATTACH]

Upright Nordic Dyneema Swift holding plum Daylight Briefcase containing 13" MacBook Air in Cache
        [ATTACH]8954[/ATTACH]

Sorry, the lighting is really terrible for these pictures.

HTH
        Your pictures are very nice, thanks for taking the time to make and post them. It is lovely of you to do that!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiviander View Post
          Can anyone post some interior shots? I would love to see what the divided front pocket and elastic topped interior pocket look like. I have been wanting a CoPilot for a while but feel the ballistic fabric is more bulk and structure than I need. Can a travel mug stand up in a corner?
          Okay, I'm not really sure if these will be much help. It's really hard to photograph the inside of the divided front pocket and the sun.is.setting. Stupid winter. All right, here are two pics of the bag turned inside-out:

Elastic pocket side

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00216.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	293616

Rails attachment side

And here are two pics of that front divided pocket. The first is my lame attempt to show where the fabric meets; the second shows a small OP and a Moleskine Volante notebook. Each fill up either side of the divide.

Name:	IMG_00218.jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	293618

Name:	IMG_3720.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	293617

Comment

Thanks for the photos! I do think I want a CoPilot but I hesitated too long and now Dyneema is gone.

Comment

A few comparison pictures of the Daylight Briefcase with the Imago:

Daylight Briefcase in Plum Cordura at top, Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago below, Hunter/Cork/Sage Imago at right, All bags are holding 13" laptops in caches. Because both Imagos are made of the stiffer Ballistic Nylon, the Daylight Briefcase has been filled with a few more items (including inserting and iPad Mini in its case in the front diagonal zippered pocket) to show these bags have comparable depth. A medium organizer pouch in Storm Cordura has also been inserted under the iPad Mini to show the maximum height of the front diagonally zipped pocket of the DLBC.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415228632.401944.jpg
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	293628

Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago with front flap opened and Kindle Paperwhite inserted in right front Imago pocket. These comparison pictures are meant to give an idea of what you can fit into the different front pockets, and where the curvature of the Imago and the flat nature of the front pocket design limits what you can put in.

The keystraps show the O-ring attachment points. There's another O-ring on the right side of the left front zippered pocket, slightly above and to the left of where the 16" Wasabi keystrap crosses the center of the bag. (I tend to forget about this because it's not in my older Hunter/Cork/Sage Imago.) The curved design of the Imago sides and bottom corners makes this pleasing to the eye, but it also means that the top opening is more constricted in terms of the laptops it will accept, despite the bag's being "wider" (because the top sides curve in), and also that the rectangular objects you can fit into the front pockets are also slightly constrained by the curve: the Kindle is small enough and thin enough that likely even in a case it will fit the front pocket. My iPad Mini will also fit if there is no case or cache. In the very thin hard case that I use, it will not fit into the front right pocket unless I force it, probably with longer term damage to the seam. This is because the slight curvature of the right side and bottom edge is just enough to constrain things. In practice, I would move this to one of the two inner pockets on the revers side of these pockets in the main compartment if I wanted to carry it. But the Daylight Briefcase is designed so the front pockets can expand in depth, and also better fit rectangular objects.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415229064.653167.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	293629

Plum Cordura Daylight Briefcase on top with Nordic Packing Cube Shoulder Bag below. the DLBC is slightly longer than the PCSB (as expected, since the PCSB just barely fits an 11" MacBook Air). The front horizontal zippered pocket is unzipped, and the location of the two O-rings at the top left and right corners, just above the open zipper, can be seen from attached Clear Organize Wallet at the left, and the Crimson 8" keystrap to the right. The divided front pocket easily holds an iPad Mini in its case on either side. (I could put a regular paperback or my Kindle Paperwhite in front of the iPad Mini, but it would obscure the view.). On the right I've placed a trade paperback. The divided pockets are very nicely sized for either Kindle or iPad Mini to easily pull out, I also have the option of using the diagonal front zippered pocket for these, or even larger tablets. Unlike the case for Co-Pilot or Pilot front compartments, all of these on the Daylight Briefcase easily unzip and zip one-handed. The diagonal front pocket is particularly easy to use to access tickets, boarding passes, letters in envelopes, etc, Unlike the Imago front pockets, these pockets with their Parapack linings are designed for depth.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415230863.062305.jpg
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	293630

HTH moriond

Comment

Wonderful pictures, @moriond. I love the Imago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice photos, moriond. You really got the colors right!
                  Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Some more shots of the Daylight Briefcase. Here's the open front horizontal zippered pocket showing the steel Parapack lining and the sewn center divider, To the right is the 8" Crimson keystrap attached to a Grey Clear Organizer Wallet, and to the left is another Clear Organizer Wallet (an old Plum Cordura one, but you can't see the fabric color side). I've pulled forward the zippered section so the inner lining is more easily seen. The top of the front diagonal zipper is visible just above the wallet to the left,

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415232142.947661.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	293632

Back zippered pocket of the Daylight Briefcase with 16" Wasabi keystrap attached to left O-ring above zipper, and Size 1 Wasabi Travel Stuff Sack attached to a Triangular connector, directly to right O-ring above zipper. The back compartment is also designed for depth, with the steel Parapack billowing inwards, This is where I stowed an Ibex merino jersey in an earlier photo sequence. it's also where I stored a rolled up French Blue Daylight Backpack in an even earlier photo post in this thread.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415232110.972647.jpg
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	293631

Open view of main compartment of Plum Daylight Briefcase. The Wasabi Keystrap and Travel Stuff Sack attached to the open back horizontal zippered pocket may be seen at the bottom of the picture, At the top of the picture is a view of the Steel Parapack Pocket that rests against the front side of the DLBC. An 8" Plum Cordura Keystrap is attached to the O-ring at the top left, and an 8" Storm Cordura keystrap is attached to the O-ring at the top right. The stitching down the center that divides the front pockets lies below the top of the elastic band for the pocket.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415232922.526943.jpg
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	293633

Opening the pocket to see the center stitching for the split front pockets:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415233170.306225.jpg
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	293634

Solar 3D Clear Organizer Cube attached to Plum keystrap at left and Small Padded Organizer Pouch holding digital camera attached to Storm keystrap at right, both in Parapack Pocket The rail loops for attaching a laptop cache can be seen at the bottom of the picture, where they appear at the top of the zippered opening for the side of the main compartment that faces the back of the bag. There's one rail loop just above each of the two Wasabi colored keystrap/Stuff Sack attached to O-Rings for the open back zippered pocket of the DLBC.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415233189.477015.jpg
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	293635

HTH. Think I've hit a maximum of 5 attachments,

moriond
                    Last edited by moriond; 11-05-2014, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Continuing with Plum Daylight Briefcase sequence. This shows the attachment of the cache with rails to the rail loops at the back of the main compartment (the side opposite to the pocket now holding Solar 3D Clear Organizer Cube and Small Padded Pouch). You can still see the 16" Wasabi keystrap and the Size 1 Wasabi Travel Stuff Sack attached to o-Rings of the open back zippered pocket at the bottom of the picture, The Cache holds a 13" MacBook Air, and the view has shifted to face the back of the bag in the main compartment.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415233900.125297.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	293636

A quick view of how I attached theTravel Stuff Sack to the O-ring in the back pocket (experimenting with Parts, as an alternative to using just one ring of a Double Carabiner Clip. I was trying different ways of looping the draw string through the securing clip, so I could hang the TSS at different lengths from the securing o-Ring. (Work in progress)

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415234149.628658.jpg
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	293637

Another comparison with the Nordic PCSB, showing the empty Plum Daylight Briefcase rolled up and packed inside the PCSB. This shows the top of the PCSB folded down.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415234252.206013.jpg
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	293638

Top view of the rolled up Daylight Briefcase in the Nordic PCSB. You can obviously also pack this into the end of your Aeronaut 30, stash this into the bottom pocket of your Synapse Backpack, carry it in one of the compartments of your Western Flyer or Tri-Star, etc. Also, while you can obviously secure the rail straps of a horizontal cache with rails to the rail loops of your DLBC, it's pretty convenient and easy to just insert any cache (horizontal or vertical, with or without rails) into the back compartment of the DLBC and use it.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415234301.710363.jpg
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	293639

HTH moriond

Comment

@moriond, if you've got the 13" MBA in the cache and two 3D cubes in the inner pocket, is there a bulge, like you can get on the WF or TS? How much could go into the outer pockets in that scenario?

Trying to envision the contents of my imago in the daylight. Sidebar, what is the acronym to distinguish the briefcase from the backpack version??

Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *

Comment

The Little Briefcase that Can Fit Almost Anywhere: early Daylight Briefcase r...

While I was writing, @ncb4 used 'DLBC', which makes sense.

But still interested in potential buldge issues...

Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *

Comment

Originally posted by tpnl View Post
                            @marbenais - Thanks for the pic of Rosalind and her furry neighbour. It is cute that Rosalind can play-bow! Rosalind reminds me of my cousin's dog when we were young, always "smiling" and doing tricks.

Congrats on naming all the briefcases - you are right on all accounts. You know your TB stuff. There should be a certificate of merit for people who know so much about TB bags! I hope you get the opportunity to get a DLBC soon!
                            Rosalind is always, always, always smiling. She's a very happy girl and the light of my life. (She is currently in my lap under my laptop, in fact, because she always wants to be as close to me as possible.) She's very good with tricks/commands/actions/whatnot, eager to show off how well she can perform. She does have an unfortunate taste for the extra ends of the backpack straps (the webbing ones) (as well as any soft toys or materials which means none at all because she eats them instead of just leaving a pile of destruction).

Hhhhhmmm . . . certificate of merit . . . I'll take mine in the form of this bag, please! :-) And my beloved Imago (and Large Cafe Bag and Ruck's Sac) in the old, gorgeous plum. Such a great color.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
                              Just popping in to say I have it confirmed that the Black Dyneema DLBC is lined in 200D Steel Dyneema. HTH!
                              That's the one I want! I love Dyneema. I still miss the 200d exteriors (my ex got the original Synapse with 200d, although I voluntarily gave it up since I don't like Solar and she didn't care -- hey, that's a fraught forum topic, how to split up bags, almost as difficult as the books) but I do like the increase in options of Dyneema bags, even with the 400d instead of 200d.

Comment

Originally posted by marbenais View Post
                                I do like the increase in options of Dyneema bags, even with the 400d instead of 200d.
                                I agree. I'm hoping that down the road the DLBC will be offered with a contrasting Dyneema interior, but that would probably drive up the cost due to additional structural work. I think the current list price of $80 is very favorable for a bag that can do as much as the moderators/testers have outlined. Full disclosure, I could not decide, so have ordered Cordura and Dyneema versions to test pack.

@moriond - thank you for posting so many pictures showing the interior! Though it's a fairly solid color, the parapack lining, it's still useful to see.
                                Last edited by GoStanford; 11-05-2014, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X