Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,995   Posts: 193,761   Members: 6,894   Active Members: 244
Welcome to our newest member, gojonnie.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Little Briefcase that Can Fit Almost Anywhere: early Daylight Briefcase review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kkintea View Post
    @moriond, if you've got the 13" MBA in the cache and two 3D cubes in the inner pocket, is there a bulge, like you can get on the WF or TS? How much could go into the outer pockets in that scenario?

Trying to envision the contents of my imago in the daylight. Sidebar, what is the acronym to distinguish the briefcase from the backpack version??
    @kkintea, In practice, I wouldn't load up my DLBCase that way with 3D Clear Organizer Cubes in the zippered pockets, because you're right, this cuts into the space available for the front, easy-to-access pockets, and does cause things to bulge. I was trying to pick accessory combinations that were highly visible so people could distinguish what went where and stay oriented. My inclination would be to use the back zippered pocket for a merino jersey (if I were at a workshop in a place that might be overly air conditioned), and to drop small Travel
    Stuff Sacks on Keystraps into the central pocket or use Dyneema Fabric organizer cubes that compress more). I like the access to the front pockets, and I have a predilection for carrying around reading material.

The Imago does have more volume, but it's also slightly taller. And if you want to know, at the last conference I got by carrying my iPad (full size rather than Mini) in the Little Swift for most note taking. This wouldn't work if I actually needed to pull up work and raw data on the laptop. I know that's probably not a complete answer,

BTW I've been using DLBPack and DLBCase when I want to emphasize the distinction between bags.

moriond

Comment

Thank you all for the dog/cat pics - please put a name with each - each face needs a name....
      never skate faster than your guardian angel can fly....black and gold til I'm dead and cold....
      be nice - until it's time to not be nice.......what separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize...

Comment

Once again moriond, your thoroughness is ever so helpful. I needed to see the DLBC in reference to the Imago because for me, that would be my biggest competitor/overlap/redundancy in TB bags. Your pictures show how there are applications in which each bag excels over the other.
        I still haven't decided if I must have one. Though my compulsion is to just collect bags to have more bags, my inner sensibilities drive me to have a specific or unique use in order to seek a new bag. I only do one or two conferences a year, and my "work" is at home.
        One other comparison that may push me over to the DLBC side however is seeing the comparison with the PCSB. I have yearned for a slightly larger version with more pockets and o-rings. . .
        I really, really like TB Bags!

Comment

Hi all,

Is the DLBcase a thicker bag than the Pilot?
          On the webpage its stated DLBCase as 13.4 x 9.8 x 6.5 / 340 x 250 x 165 mm, while the Pilot has Dimensions: 15.4" x 11.4" x 5.1" / 390 x 290 x 130 mm

I'm asking because I wanna use this bag as a travel + camera bag after adding in an insert. Hope to hear from you soon! Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Yapster View Post
            Hi all,

On the webpage its stated DLBCase as 13.4 x 9.8 x 6.5 / 340 x 250 x 165 mm, while the Pilot has Dimensions: 15.4" x 11.4" x 5.1" / 390 x 290 x 130 mm

I'm asking because I wanna use this bag as a travel + camera bag after adding in an insert. Hope to hear from you soon! Thank you.
            Welcome to the forums, @Yapster. My take on this is that you'd be better off with a Pilot (or Co-Pilot) style bag for camera gear. The thickness refers to overall space in compartments, and the DLBC does better at letting you slip a series of items into the front and back zippered pockets, especially if these tend to be flatter (laptops, papers, books). If you want a large block if space for camera gear, I think you're better off getting the Pilot. Have you taken a look at the video review of the Pilot and Co-Pilot by @itsablur? Take a look at this thread:
            A Pilot Video Review (and comparison to the Co-Pilot)

HTH moriond

Comment

Originally posted by dorayme View Post
              Once again moriond, your thoroughness is ever so helpful. I needed to see the DLBC in reference to the Imago because for me, that would be my biggest competitor/overlap/redundancy in TB bags. Your pictures show how there are applications in which each bag excels over the other.
              I still haven't decided if I must have one. Though my compulsion is to just collect bags to have more bags, my inner sensibilities drive me to have a specific or unique use in order to seek a new bag. I only do one or two conferences a year, and my "work" is at home.
              One other comparison that may push me over to the DLBC side however is seeing the comparison with the PCSB. I have yearned for a slightly larger version with more pockets and o-rings. . .
              @dorayme, I've always shared your bag preferences for the Little Swift (tote style), Shop Bags, and the preference for the horizontal Imago over the vertical style Cafe bags. I haven't cottoned as much to the Co-Pilot as some other forum members who use this as an EDC, because if the sneaking suspicion that it would be much more useful to me if it were just a bit bigger. The feature I love about the DLBC (and the Imago) compared to the Pilot, is its more body hugging nature. For traveling, I love the fact that it shares some of the properties of the PCBP. I've also ordered another DLBC in Dyneema (after everyone else, since I didn't get past answering questions until they had sold out. I can't tell whether you would find this useful enough to use as a separate bag to warrant a separate purchase, but in my mind it's quite distinct (and definitely worth it compared to a Large Cafe Bag, for example, in my mind). Part of it is the easier one handed access to compartments (on the Co-Pilot and Pilot I generally need two hands to open the zippered compartments, even with the older zipper structure) combined with the organization. Part of it is the pack ability. Part of it is the body-hugging nature (the Pilot feels too big for me for some usages, such as moving through crowds.). I like the way the back and front pockets zip up closed. And I like the easy access to items like an iPad Mini or Kindle, or to tickets/letters. These are distinct features special to this bag. It's also packable and light weight, should I need that. For me, it's worth it

HTH moriond

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                @dorayme, I've always shared your bag preferences for the Little Swift (tote style), Shop Bags, and the preference for the horizontal Imago over the vertical style Cafe bags. I haven't cottoned as much to the Co-Pilot as some other forum members who use this as an EDC, because if the sneaking suspicion that it would be much more useful to me if it were just a bit bigger. The feature I love about the DLBC (and the Imago) compared to the Pilot, is its more body hugging nature. For traveling, I love the fact that it shares some of the properties of the PCBP. I've also ordered another DLBC in Dyneema (after everyone else, since I didn't get past answering questions until they had sold out. I can't tell whether you would find this useful enough to use as a separate bag to warrant a separate purchase, but in my mind it's quite distinct (and definitely worth it compared to a Large Cafe Bag, for example, in my mind). Part of it is the easier one handed access to compartments (on the Co-Pilot and Pilot I generally need two hands to open the zippered compartments, even with the older zipper structure) combined with the organization. Part of it is the pack ability. Part of it is the body-hugging nature (the Pilot feels too big for me for some usages, such as moving through crowds.). I like the way the back and front pockets zip up closed. And I like the easy access to items like an iPad Mini or Kindle, or to tickets/letters. These are distinct features special to this bag. It's also packable and light weight, should I need that. For me, it's worth it

HTH moriond
                So you know the next series of requested pictures is the DLBC worn :)
                I know tpnl shows his worn, but I'm having a hard time mentally transposing myself into his scenario. Halp?
                I really, really like TB Bags!

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                  Welcome to the forums, @Yapster. My take on this is that you'd be better off with a Pilot (or Co-Pilot) style bag for camera gear. The thickness refers to overall space in compartments, and the DLBC does better at letting you slip a series of items into the front and back zippered pockets, especially if these tend to be flatter (laptops, papers, books). If you want a large block if space for camera gear, I think you're better off getting the Pilot. Have you taken a look at the video review of the Pilot and Co-Pilot by @itsablur? Take a look at this thread:
                  A Pilot Video Review (and comparison to the Co-Pilot)

HTH moriond
                  Thank you very much Moriond. I watched the review but it was hard to compare the pilot to the DLBC. I was hoping that the DLBC would be good enough, since it's half the price of the pilot =) Thank you very much for your advice.

Comment

Moriond, thank you so much for your comparison shots. They are incredibly helpful. I am blessed to own both a Nordic/Solar Pilot and a Navy/Cork/Wasabi Imago. I am going to resist the pull of the DLBC (I know it will be hard, especially because it is so affordable) for the moment. I love @dorayme's assessment that the DLBC would function well as a bible-study-materials-conveyer (love that kenning?). Maybe for something like that I could be convinced to buy it, but I'm going to hold out for the DLBP (don't have one yet), the ever-useful Synapse Freudian Slips, hopefully a replenished stock of colorful Field Journals, and maybe a P.U. That won't keep me from enjoying all the lovely photos as people post their new shots of their bags, though!

Comment

Thanks for the pictures Moriond. They were very enlightening, especially the colour comparison. Plum doesn't look nearly as clashing as I thought. Now to wait for backorders and the UPS man.

Comment

Originally posted by Yapster View Post

@Yapster

The main compartment of the DLBC is 3" wide if you measure the fabric on the bottom. So, with a bit of stretch/bulge, you can probably fit something that is 3.5" wide comfortably. The question is how wide is your camera equipment with insert padding (as there is no padding in the DLBC). If around 3-3.5", the DLBC should be good as long as you do not exceed the other dimensions ~13" long or ~9.5" high. Note that the front compartment stretches to hold more if needed (but bulges - same as any other bag). This is why the total width can be up to 6.5".
                        Perhaps let us know more about the camera pieces / inserts you will be carrying and we can better see if things will work.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
                        Last edited by tpnl; 11-06-2014, 12:16 PM.
                        TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

To add to @tpnl's comments about the width of the DLBC: the width of the DLBC base measured as a rectangular block is 3"; the width of the Pilot base measured as a rectangular block is 5, with a back compartment of 2.5" and front compartments of another 2.5" in width. However, the difference is that the Parapack linings of the DLBC compartments are designed to "billow" out, while the design of the Dyneema separators of the Pilot compartments will move forward preserving much of that rectangular structure, nearly floor to ceiling, so I can easily fit a stack of books that are 3" wide into the main back compartment of the Pilot, providing their dimensions do not go out exactly to the full cross-sectional dimensions of the Pilot.

This is why the Pilot is better for carrying large volume, or blocky items than the DLBCass, and is also why I find the DLBCase better for carrying things as a minimalist briefcase (as opposed to an overnight bag) than the Pilot -- I don't have to deal with that extra width that is present, even in the Dyneema version, against my body. The structured compartments of the Pilot also make it better for carrying separate camera components in, for example, the water bottle pocket or two front side compartments. This additional structure and organization are what contribute to the higher price of the Pilot. Some people have experimented with using accessories like the slightly smaller (Dyneema) Packing Cube BackPack as a simple shell for a camera case. If that is all you are looking for, and don't need the extra volume or structured compartments for other items, then the DLBC might be a good choice. But I assumed that you needed more in the way of floor to ceiling volume and depth.

HTH moriond

ETA: See my post (#58) in this thread) for comparison pictures of the Pilot, Daylight Briefcase, and Co-Pilot seen from the outside. None of these bags are loaded (e.g. to make the DLBC "billow" to maximum thickness), and the Co-Pilot in particular will look slimmer than most views because the front compartments are empty.
                          Last edited by moriond; 11-06-2014, 10:12 AM. Reason: added reference to picture comparison post

Comment

Originally posted by Dee View Post
                            Thanks for the pictures Moriond. They were very enlightening, especially the colour comparison. Plum doesn't look nearly as clashing as I thought. Now to wait for backorders and the UPS man.
                            If your other bags are Aubergine, then you're correct that Aubergine is a bit too red to easily go with Plum. The color I chose to use to coordinate with Aubergine, Nordic, Navy, and Steel bags was French Blue, for the Daylight Backpack. However, my Aubergine bags are the Aeronaut 30, Smart Alec, and Imago, and Little Swift. I don't imagine simultaneously carrying any of these outside while wearing the DLBC cross-body, whereas I might pack the DLBP and use it with A30, Imago, or LS. Neutral colors that would work include Grey and Linen, and Burnt Orange is another possibility (but I'm not really an enthusiast for this color). I also have some Indigo bags, so Navy is not such a good option for me here.

HTH

Comment

Hey there are some great-looking images and reports coming out on this bag! I'm on the edge of pulling the trigger for a plum version, but have a big question.

Much as I love TB and respect the labeling, I've seen two pictures of this bag's reverse side with a curved zipper – –one which is blessedly clear of labeling (red plane which throws off my aesthetic sense against the purple, just saying…) and another which has a second label kind of triangular shaped up at the top of that side.

What's the deal? Is there one side with the usual label and another that's clear? Or is it a duo of labels?

Comment

Originally posted by celtical View Post
                                Hey there are some great-looking images and reports coming out on this bag! I'm on the edge of pulling the trigger for a plum version, but have a big question.

Much as I love TB and respect the labeling, I've seen two pictures of this bag's reverse side with a curved zipper – –one which is blessedly clear of labeling (red plane which throws off my aesthetic sense against the purple, just saying…) and another which has a second label kind of triangular shaped up at the top of that side.

What's the deal? Is there one side with the usual label and another that's clear? Or is it a duo of labels?
                                The reverse side (with the slightly curved zipper) has no label:

The front side with both horizontal zipper and diagonal zipper has the label:

Click image for larger version

Name:	daylightbriefcase_19b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	293646

HTH

moriond

Comment

Working...
                                X