Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,766   Posts: 190,583   Members: 6,646   Active Members: 252
Welcome to our newest member, YSAKit5982.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where did your TB bag go lately

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No photo of my bag, but my new DLBP and I (with others from my dragon boat team) volunteered at a high school regatta today.

Packing list
    Main compartment:
    Team jacket in the bottom of the main compartment.
    Nikon monarch 7 10x42 binocular in a Size 2 TSS iberian on top of jacket.
    Olympus tough tg3 in a case next to bins on top of jacket.
    SE steel parapack/UV (inside is my COW (for cards), small double OP (cash, coins, receipts) - put this in the bottom pocket, short end up. I tethered one end of the SE's shoulder strap to the O-ring in the DLBP.
    Small Qkit with lip balm, sunblock, tylenol - tethered to O-ring. It hang inside the bottom pocket next to SE.
    I put my team cap in the top pocket. Pocket was empty when I put the hat on.

Front pocket:
    Medium COP iberian with medical information, doctors and contact list (need to carry this in whatever bag I am using).
    Case for my prescription sunglasses.
    Prescription eyeglasses in its hard case.

They gave us t-shirts when we signed in. We did not wear them since we were in our team uniform. I threw mine and 2 of my teammate's t-shirts inside the main compartment of the DLBP.

We did a bit of going about: helped people park, moved ice, water and other items, set up a few service areas (tables and tents). I carried the DLBP the whole time. It was comfortable to carry. I was glad to have my hands feee and still keep my stuff with me.

We were relieved off our tasks shortly, so we got to watch a bit. I enjoyed watching so much, did not bother taking photos, except for the one above.

Several of us then went to brunch. I dropped my car off at a car wash a few blocks away to get clean while I was at brunch. I pullled out my SE, put my DLBP in my car trunk, alerted the car wash owner about what are in my DLBP (I patronize this car wash regularly) and hoofed it to the restaurant.

The DLBP and the SE were perfect for today's adventure.

Comment

Tri-Star + Absolute Shoulder Strap to San Francisco for a week-long business trip! Here's the pack-out:

- New Balance Running Shoes
      - Gym Top
      - Gym Shorts
      - Gym Socks
      ... in packing cube, smaller part of divided side

- Blue Business Blazer, travel-folded
      - 1/4 Zip Sweater
      - 2x T-shirt
      ... in packing cube, larger part of divided side

- MacBook Pro Retina 15 in HBC
      - Horiz Freudian Slip filled with Mac Power, AMZN FireStick, pens, micro-charger, battery for iPhone, mags and paperwork.
      - Hair Brush, comb, toothbrush, hair product in extra space on either side of HBC
      ... in center compartment

4x Dress Shirts
      2x Dress Slacks
      2x Dress Socks
      2x Boxer Briefs
      and 3D Clear Org Cube with balance of toiletries
      .... all in a Packing Cube Backpack, in undivided side (backpack straps not deployed)

In Tri-Star side zipper pockets (size)
      - keys (small)
      - journal (medium)
      - Kindle (large)

Wore casual shirt, jeans, boxers, dress belt, socks, dress shoes and Arc'Teryx GammaMX with iPhone + charger, another battery for iPhone, Klipsch noise canceling earbuds, etc.

Breezed thru TSA Pre, and even a packed to the gills Tri-Star slips into overhead with room to spare. Many colleagues had to check, plus have separate laptop bags.

For a 3-day, I would've super packed my SA with UMP/LMP extensions and gotten away with it. But for the week, had to go Tri-Star!

Comment

Where did your TB bag go lately

Another trip with my Aeronaut 30, this time an easy holiday weekend from Boston to Maryland, via JetBlue.

The A30 is really perfect for me, to the point where I decided to trade my Aeronaut 45 for a dyneema A30 to have as an alternate to the one I currently own in ballistic. For longer trips that require a lot of internal travel, I think shaving off even a few ounces by carrying the A30 in dyneema will be worth it. I'm eager to see the newest Tom Bihn addition to my stable of luggage. It should arrive later this week.

I took the Synapse 19 as a personal item. As someone suggested earlier (maybe @kkintea?), wearing the lighter bag and carrying the A30 on the shoulder is actually quite comfortable. I found that to be easier on my back than the other way around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428335844.273425.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	296109
        Last edited by bchaplin; 04-06-2015, 09:09 AM.
        ----
        All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
        Edmund Burke

Comment

DLBP at Fort Flagler

Recently my DLBP explored Fort Flagler with my granddaughter.

Name:	getting ready to explore apr15.JPG
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	296110

Exploring the gun batteries

Name:	exploring a gun battery 1 apr15.JPG
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	296111

Name:	exploring a gun battery 2 apr15.JPG
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	296112

Name:	underground apr15.JPG
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	296113

Name:	top of a gun battery apr15.JPG
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	296115

Headed back to the cabin.

Name:	heading back to the cabin apr15.JPG
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	296114
          Last edited by bunchgrass; 04-06-2015, 09:54 AM. Reason: add photo

Comment

Maybe @moriond can recall if I said it.... I might've mentioned shifting clothes out of the S25 (back carry) to the NFTD (shoulder carry). I am stuck contemplating whether I should also go for a dyneema A30. The awesome Crew has backordered my potential A30 color combo, giving me more time to think on it :-)
            Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
              Another trip with my Aeronaut 30, this time an easy holiday weekend from Boston to Maryland, via JetBlue.

The A30 is really perfect for me, to the point where I decided to trade my Aeronaut 45 for a dyneema A30 to have as an alternate to the one I currently own in ballistic. For longer trips that require a lot of internal travel, I think shaving off even a few ounces by carrying the A30 in dyneema will be worth it. I'm eager to see the newest Tom Bihn addition to my stable of luggage. It should arrive later this week.

I took the Synapse 19 as a personal item. As someone suggested earlier (maybe @kkintea?), wearing the lighter bag and carrying the A30 on the shoulder is actually quite comfortable. I found that to be easier on my back than the other way around.

[ATTACH]11137[/ATTACH]
              @bchaplin, that Aubergine is beautiful!

Comment

Sorry... may not have been you!
                I'm really bad at remembering who said what.
                I will do some comparison shots of the two A30's once I have the second one.
                Beth

Originally posted by kkintea View Post
                Maybe @moriond can recall if I said it.... I might've mentioned shifting clothes out of the S25 (back carry) to the NFTD (shoulder carry). I am stuck contemplating whether I should also go for a dyneema A30. The awesome Crew has backordered my potential A30 color combo, giving me more time to think on it :-)
                ----
                All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                Edmund Burke

Comment

What dyneema colorway did you get?
                  Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *

Comment

Originally posted by kkintea View Post
                    What dyneema colorway did you get?
                    Black dyneema with wasabi inside. As much as I love the purples and blues, it's good to have some neutral pieces too.
                    ----
                    Edmund Burke

Comment

Most recent travel with the Night Flight: a funeral. Sad passing of the mother of a friend of mine -- a smart, funny, gracious, multi-talented woman who was kind to me on the several occasions that I met her. I was asked to record the service (the choir in particular), and the Night Flight was a compact way to carry:

- video camera
                      - two stereo (audio-only) recorders
                      - headphones
                      - cords, cables, batteries, etc.
                      - a compact folding tripod (Gorillagrip)

(I carried two compact tripods separately.)

Sad occasion, but also joyful, and the kind she would have designed.

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post

[ATTACH]11137[/ATTACH]
                        Hi bchaplin,

I am curious, if you had to choose only one bag to keep...either your A30 or your WF...which would you choose and why? I have been primarily using my SA for travel, but there are occasions when I travel for work that it might be preferable to have the option of a bag that can be carried with a shoulder strap. You always have such excellent analytical reviews that I would appreciate your insights. I had purchased a WF this past summer that I ended up sending to a new home since I was not traveling much. However, some job changes indicate that I will be traveling significantly more, so I am re-thinking that decision. Luckily, I do not need to bring a laptop for work travel.

I would welcome any other folks' insights too. Thank you!
                        "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
                        "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Comment

Originally posted by NWhikergal View Post
                          Hi bchaplin,

I am curious, if you had to choose only one bag to keep...either your A30 or your WF...which would you choose and why? I have been primarily using my SA for travel, but there are occasions when I travel for work that it might be preferable to have the option of a bag that can be carried with a shoulder strap. You always have such excellent analytical reviews that I would appreciate your insights. I had purchased a WF this past summer that I ended up sending to a new home since I was not traveling much. However, some job changes indicate that I will be traveling significantly more, so I am re-thinking that decision. Luckily, I do not need to bring a laptop for work travel.

This is a great question. If I could only have one bag, I'd stick with my dyneema WF. My feet are small so I can easily fit a pair (or two) of shoes in the bag. I like the option of carrying a laptop with easy access. It also fits better under the seat on a plane. I also like how it fits on my back compared to the A30. The A30 can get a bit heavy after about a mile of walking with it so the smaller capacity help me to not get to high on the weight side. Because my hands are small, the single poron handle of the WF is much more comfortable for me to carry. The advantage of the A30 is the ability to keep stuffing things into the little crevices and corners. Of course, this makes it heavier. That said, my A30 is ballistic nylon so maybe that influences my assessment due to the heavier weight of the ballistic fabric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NWhikergal View Post
                            Hi bchaplin,

I am curious, if you had to choose only one bag to keep...either your A30 or your WF...which would you choose and why? I have been primarily using my SA for travel, but there are occasions when I travel for work that it might be preferable to have the option of a bag that can be carried with a shoulder strap. ..

Actually, I had a Western Flyer that was re-homed, once the Aeronaut 30 was released. I liked the form factor of the Aeronaut and was delighted when the smaller size was released. Let me tell you the reasons I prefer the A30. My preferences are highly specific and you'll have to decide if they are meaningful to you. I notice that lots of folks prefer the Western Flyer as well.

1. Easier to pack, particularly if you have odd-shaped items. This may not apply to everyone, but I always found that the WF and Tri-Star-type required a precision to fit just the right amount and shape of items so that it kept its shape and did not bulge. In contrast, the first time I used my A30 on a trip where I had to move to a new city every few days, I thought it was much easier to throw all my things back inside, zip it up, and get on the road.

2. Easier to live out of. I like the way the A30 (and A45) lie flat when at rest, with the three compartments opening at the top. I often keep the bulk of my things inside as they are visually accessible.

3. Perfect size (for me). The extra 4 liters of the A30 over the WF were helpful. On the other hand, if you are comfortable with the Smart Alec, the WF may be fine for you.

4. No internal organization. This is a matter of preference. I prefer the weight savings of an open compartment, and the ability to use cubes to decide how to organize my things inside.

5. End pockets. For long international flights, I dedicate one end pocket to hold whatever I need for the flight. It is quick to pull out during the boarding process, without opening the main zipper.

Both bags fit well in the overhead, and possibly under a seat in front of you (though the WF may be better in that respect).

Hope this helps!

Beth
                            Last edited by bchaplin; 04-07-2015, 04:06 AM.
                            ----
                            Edmund Burke

Comment

Thank you, Pokilani and bchaplin, for taking the time to respond to me with your preferences and reasoning! While I love the size on me and the sleek aesthetics of a well-packed WF, I suspect I might prefer the open compartment style of the A30. I love the fact that I get to choose the organization of my SA's cavernous compartment, but on a multi-day trip, I do appreciate having the spillover of the top pocket, which brings the volume closer to the A30. And I do max out with stuffing things inside organizational cubes into the SA's large compartment. Since I can likely just make one purchase for the near future, I want to choose wisely. The one thing that might be difficult for me is exercising the discipline to not overpack so the bag gets too heavy, since I do not like the hipbelt placement on those bags, so I would be unable to use that. And these will not have the same backpack cushioning as a SA. While I adore the durability and selection of certain ballistic colors, I would probably stick with my tried and true dyneema. Thank you both! And sorry to others for sidetracking this thread.
                              "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
                              "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Comment

My SCB linen/olive accompanied me to the Miami Dragon Boat Race today. Beautiful day for a race.

SCB carried my nikon monarch 7 binoculars. The latter did not get used much since I was racing. But it was worth toting it for the couple of times I used it. I put the somewhat padded case that came with the binoculars inside the SCB with the top flipped back against the back of the SCB . I put my galaxy note 2 phone in the front pocket.

The SCB is a perfect fit. But next time, I think I will use my MCB. I like my bag "roomy."

Comment

Working...
                                X