Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,636   Posts: 189,039   Members: 6,623   Active Members: 299
MartyAuste
Forum Member
Welcome to our newest member, MartyAuste.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synapse 19 - SO excited til I put it on...Any others have this problem???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chill View Post
    Hi deemav, can you share a pic of the straps on you?
    I haven't forgotten about this. I threw out my back last week and haven't been super jazzed about putting any weight on it until today. I'll try to add a pic this weekend.

Comment

I'm attaching two pictures. On a good day, I'm about 5 feet tall. I don't wear the chest strap because sometimes I carry a small crossbody bag which would often gets tangled up in the straps. That last comment may be operator error...

Anyway, I do find that I have to adjust the straps quite often to fit the load I'm carrying/the jacket I'm wearing, in order to avoid the feeling like the bag is going to slide off my shoulders. Hope this helps!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-25 15.30.53.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	465.3 KB
ID:	295478Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-25 15.31.16.jpg
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	295479

Comment

Thanks deemav, the straps look pretty snug on you :) I sure hope they will fit me well... I can't do the sternum straps too because that's where my baby will be secured... In front of me :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I came across a possible solution someone had to the sliding shoulder straps which might help (or perhaps make better).

The person basically tightened together the top part of the shoulder straps where they join the top of the backpack using some webbing. I tried to do something like this with 2 8" keystraps as per below (each end was hooked to the base of the other keystrap hook as opposed to the hook itself). Trying the backpack on again, it did seem to make it feel more secure on my shoulders. Here is a picture of what I did.

Click image for larger version

Name:	S25_Neck-Strap.jpg
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	295485

Hopefully this (or something similar) might be a good workaround to improve things for those people who prefer narrow separated shoulder straps.

Maybe someone with this issue could try this out and see if it helps.

Cheers!
          tpnl
          Volunteer *********
          Last edited by tpnl; 01-28-2015, 11:01 PM.
          TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

I just got my new 2017 Synapse 25 and am having the same problem as the original poster. All the weight is on the outside edges of the straps, and the inside edge of the straps wants to splay outward. Maybe the straps will soften and conform to my shoulders, but I'm concerned I'll have to return it. I'm 6'0" and 220 lbs with broad, muscular shoulders. Here's a thread I started about this before I found this one: https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...ying-flat.html

Comment

I travel a lot. This year I've decided to check a bag, but still need a carry-on/edc for airports, and keeping my electronics and optics safe. So I've been going crazy trying to find THE bag. I believe ALL-i.e every single bag period should load carry as efficiently as an Osprey Aether, or at least a Stratos, or Escapist 25. The technology is here to make this possible. Many companies are starting to get the idea. Include a proper harness. (Check out Mindshift Gear, eg.) There is no excuse for carry problems such as these. Try putting a 10-15 pound dumbell in the bag and walking around Penang for 4 hours and see if you want to shoot yourself. This is more important than having a cool compartment for Kleenex. That said, I like the Synapse 19, but will not buy. The reviews should state "This is the most comfortable bag I've ever had. The weight disappears", instead of these comments. Tom Bihn is a great, small company who gets organization. Now get weight carry with no compromises.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmanlaurence View Post
                I travel a lot. ... The technology is here to make this possible. Many companies are starting to get the idea. Include a proper harness. (Check out Mindshift Gear, eg.) Tom Bihn is a great, small company who gets organization. Now get weight carry with no compromises.
                Well, to be fair, Tom's bags have always been form over function for serious carry and you kinda have to know that buying them...

Example, the aeronauts didn't have frames until very recently (and still really don't), no hip belts, and certainly no torso harness adjustment. For anybody that sees a lot of bags, it should be obvious that Tom's bags aren't designed for serious carry (except maybe the new HJ) - sure they could be used for it, but they're not designed for it. Although recently he's starting to add in the hip belt (but still no frame). If you have serious carry needs you need to reach for some of the others you mentioned - for most of my average serious carry I use the Mission Workshop Rambler which has a carbon frame, load lifters, expands from 20+ to 40+ liters, has a roll top for ultra long items, exterior straps for weird stuff like bike wheels, etc and that's still not up to the job a serious trail pack would do.

Personally I'd love to see a convertible Bihn bag with a carbon frame, adjustable torso harness, load lifters, hide away full size hip belt, etc and that tech could filter down the lines, but it likely won't happen because I don't think that's Tom's customer.

That said, Bihn bags are wonderfully designed for average EDC, business travel, and light leisure travel - For most people, this is 90% or 100% of their use and for that reason I don't see Tom adding in these more serious carry features because most people don't need them and they'd ruin the look of the existing bags.
                GrussGott
                Forum Member
                Last edited by GrussGott; 10-01-2017, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mozltovcoktail View Post
                  I just got my new 2017 Synapse 25 and am having the same problem as the original poster. All the weight is on the outside edges of the straps, and the inside edge of the straps wants to splay outward. Maybe the straps will soften and conform to my shoulders, but I'm concerned I'll have to return it. I'm 6'0" and 220 lbs with broad, muscular shoulders. Here's a thread I started about this before I found this one: https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...ying-flat.html
                  I just got my 2017 S25 in black halcyon (which may affect things) and I have a pre-2017 in nordic which I hadn't noticed a problem with. Anyway, this thread got me concerned as I haven't used my new one yet, so I grabbed it and put a 25lb dumbbell in it and tried it on - it seems great! Super comfy, and I haven't really adjusted the straps yet.

As an FYI, whenever I have a heavier load I set the bag on a table or chair, loop my left arm through the left strap and then bring my left hand all the way back to grab the top handle. Then I lift the bag all the way up so it's over my head, loop my right arm through the right strap, and then set the bag down on my shoulders. It's one simple smooth motion, but just typing that up because I've always found it helps ensure the load sits secure and comfy.

Anyway, I walked around a little, jumped around, and it was all just fine. I took a pic and you can see the straps are lying flat:

GrussGott
                  Forum Member
                  Last edited by GrussGott; 10-01-2017, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X