Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,741   Posts: 190,276   Members: 6,602   Active Members: 265
Welcome to our newest member, Cycw95.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I did not want to like this DLBP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did not want to like this DLBP

When it was first announced, I ridiculed it in my head (okay, I'm not proud of myself here, but it's true). I already had a S19 and a S25, and love them both for different purposes. But this Daylight Backpack... it had no padded straps, no lining, and only two pockets?!? What were they thinking. You'd never find me buying this particular bag.

I went on a few trips, and found myself struggling to bring along a daypack. I was either emptying out my backpack, or I was trying to bring along another bag (like a Pilot or SCB) just for daypack use... but it just never seemed to "work" like I wanted it to, and was always too bulky to pack well.

Then I was aimlessly browsing the TB website (a daily activity, I'm not ashamed to say) recently when I saw the note under the S19 Freudian Slip:
    Note: the Synapse 19 Freudian Slip also fits in the Daylight Backpack.
    What?!? What did that say? It fits inside the DLBP? That was enough to make me stop and re-evaluate this thing. Suddenly, there was structure. There were pockets! Could this thing really work for me after all?

And then I saw that it was still available (at that time) in Black Dyneema. Nuts. Now I'm gonna have to place another order. TB's never let me down, so I have to trust they know what they're doing. But do I?

I placed the order, and had it shipped to Singapore, where it would be held until I showed up again almost two weeks later. The shipping crew was as good as always, and had it there waiting for me when I arrived. I brought no other daypack along, so I was gambling that this bag would work for me during a four-day stint in Singapore, where I'm on the MRT, the busses, and walking, walking, walking... But I had my doubts.

I loved the look of it immediately... the black Dyneema is striking, and works very well with my Iberian accessories. The fabric is so very light that it sits on my back and I hardly even know it's there if I haven't loaded it down. The inside pockets are very well thought-out, and make it easy to carry a light rain jacket in the long pocket, while small items go in the higher pocket, which doesn't go all the way to the bottom (brilliant!).

I put inside my S19 Freudian Slip, which fit perfectly and added just enough organization for me. Inside went a small stuff sack, an Iberian large shop bag, a pocket pouch, an organizer wallet, a small dymeema pouch, and a mesh org pouch (See picture).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-21 09.31.39.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	311473
    I hoisted it on my back, and wow... the straps are very comfortable, despite not being padded. They are wide enough to distribute the weight evenly, and are sewn in such a way that they contour around my shoulders, despite my being a slender guy.

Over the last two days, I have put this bag to the test in Singapore... I logged over eight miles of walking on that first day, with the DLBP on my back or slung over a shoulder. The second day (yesterday), I logged over ten miles of walking. And these are not exaggerations or estimates... my FitBit will attest to every step. My DLBP and I visited stores, Hawker Centers, various bus stops, and other places. We got caught in the rain together, and it barely even noticed. I've stuffed it with things during our travels, and it always closed without a problem.

Keep in mind the beginning of this post: I did not want to like this bag. I did not believe it would be of any good to me. But I was wrong. This DLBP will now be a constant traveling partner of mine. It's easy to fold up or roll up into a larger suitcase or bag, and just have along. It weighs next to nothing on its own, but has strength enough to hold everything I would need for a day out, and hold everything I might pick up along the way. The minimalistic straps are extremely comfortable without adding bulk. And the pockets inside are genius.

I don't mind admitting that I was wrong here... My DLBP is ready and waiting for me to finish writing this so we can go out again today, despite my feet wanting to spend the day inside! Thank you Tom Bihn... once again this company has proven itself to me as indispensable for my travels. Can't wait for my DLBC to arrive... that's another post!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-21 09.32.02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	311474
    Synapse 25; Tri-Star w/FS; Aeronaut 45; Pilot; Small/Med Cafe Bags w/FS; Snake Charmers; Travel Trays; DLBC; DLBP; Side Effect; Side Kick; Empire Builder; Parental Unit
    (Caches; Stuff Sacks; Packing, Mesh & Clear Cubes; Passport & Organizer Pouches)
    -------------------------------------------------
    Proud to display "Tom Bihn -- Made in USA" no matter where I travel in the world!

AsiaChuck love your post and you pictures. Hitting the like-button felt not enough, just had to say this.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

Wonderful post, and fantastic pictures!! Thanks for sharing. It makes me want to give the DLBP a try now too ��

Comment

You've made it a good deal harder for me not to order one now. Nice work, your mission as a fellow TB forum member has been accomplished. ;-)

Comment

Just watch out, @Asia Chuck! Like you, my first reaction when the DLBP was announced last summer was a big, "Meh! Not for me." And now I have four of them: the first of which, just like yours, was in Black Dyneema. It is an amazing bag: so comfortable, and so perfect for either daytrips or for EDC [every day carry]. Congratulations on your new bag; it sounds like the two of you are already joined for life. :D

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, gang. I know I'm in good company here: people who understand the obsession with quality... and with those great colors. You're scaring me, @ncb4... I could indeed see how DLBPs in different colors would be very classy.
            And yes... I wouldn't go back to Singapore without it. In fact, it's already packed for my trip to Medan in a few days.
            Synapse 25; Tri-Star w/FS; Aeronaut 45; Pilot; Small/Med Cafe Bags w/FS; Snake Charmers; Travel Trays; DLBC; DLBP; Side Effect; Side Kick; Empire Builder; Parental Unit
            (Caches; Stuff Sacks; Packing, Mesh & Clear Cubes; Passport & Organizer Pouches)
            -------------------------------------------------
            Proud to display "Tom Bihn -- Made in USA" no matter where I travel in the world!

Comment

Working...
            X