Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,630   Posts: 188,957   Members: 6,612   Active Members: 296
Thunder
Forum Member
Welcome to our newest member, Thunder.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S25 User Considering Smart Alec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S25 User Considering Smart Alec

I own a S25 and find it to be a well designed pack with lots of great organization built in. However, at times I have found the main compartment to be a little tight, so I’m considering the Smart Alec. For those of you who have used both does the Smart Alec accommodate more gear in the main compartment. Also, any advice pro/con on the issue of ballistic v. dyneema? I like the S25 in dyneema, but was just curious if the design of the Smart Alec might lend itself better to ballistic.

You are considering the SA as an addition I assum?
    The SA has a lot of space in the main compartment. If you leave the side pockets empty you gave in fact all the volume in one big compartemt. The side pockete, when stuffed full, will take away from the main compartment.

As for Balistiv versus Dyneema: I have both and am right now in my Dyneema one. If you like the Dyneema S25 you will be happy with the dyneema SA too. It is a bit more squeezable and it can hold just as much as the balistic one. But if you want this to be the extra tuff heavy duty workhorse I'd consider to go for the ectra tuffness of the balistic/cordura version.
    It is an emazing pack as is the S25 and I love them both for different reasons.

HTH

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

Hey, thanks for the feedback.
      Yes, this would be an addition and not a replacement for the S25. I guess what I want is a bag that can handle a little more gear specifically larger items like books, lunch bag, rain coat, etc.

Comment

That he can take and than some. I'd only go for the Balistic/Cordura version (apart from color choice, love me my Aubergine!) if it where to be hiking bag mainy. And as I understand, my preowned Dyneema SA was on hikes (wave at Darcy for confrirmations) so that would most probably just me and my need for reassurance.

If I can make a recomandation: the Upper Modular Pocket adds 2,5 L to the pack without making it look any bigger and it is an easy-acces outer compartment. I have one on both of my SAs and I like that extra organisation and space for smalish items. But for full discloser: I have managed to make the lid of the SA havy enough between the UMP and the two inner zipp compartments on the lid that it was heavy enough to tip my SA over. No books in there though. Closed or better packed it can stand very well on its own.

Ilkyway

PS: If you want to see something particular just wissle. If I have something simelar I can take some pictures for you.
        “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

Comment

If you have time I would love to see some pictures of the interior of the bag empty and maybe with a few items in there.

Comment

Hope these help:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1614.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	500.2 KB
ID:	296902

Name:	IMG_1615.JPG
Size:	468.2 KB
ID:	296903

Name:	IMG_1616.JPG
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	296904

Ilkyway

PS: the hole stash of books is 17 cm or 6,69 in just for reference

ETA: That is a Travel Stuff Sack size 2 in Ultraviolet at the bottom.

Comment

By the way: that Guardioan Light lives in there for a reason. This pack is cavanous!

Ilkyway

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkyway View Post
                By the way: that Guardioan Light lives in there for a reason. This pack is cavanous!

Ilkyway
                I was just going to say that having the Guardian Light in there makes it so much easier to see! If I ever get my own SA, the light will definitely be added to my order.
                kindness is contagious.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkyway View Post

Ilkyway
                  When I saw that picture, I thought "what a good idea!"

BarryLee, regarding Dyneema vs ballistic: I've had both in the Smart Alec. I really like Dyneema, but traded a Dyneema Smart Alec because it was too floppy when empty. For some people, that's a good thing though. I have a steel ballistic Smart Alec right now, and like how it holds its shape. However, I am fickle, and if the right color Dyneema bag comes along, I might switch again.
                  I also have a Synapse 25. The Smart Alec is definitely designed to be stuffed with more, bigger things. I use it as a grocery getter, and library book returner. It's also a great rainy day forecast bag and will swallow all rain gear.

Comment

Hey, thanks everyone. It does appear that the SA has the size advantage that I’m looking for. My initial thought is I like the idea of the dyneema being little less structured and maybe appearing smaller when not fully loaded. Decisions, decisions…

Comment

The light is a great idea. I don't have a Smart Alec yet, but I'd like one. I've waffled back and forth on Dyneema vs. ballistic and I think I've settled on the ballistic for extra structure. My current problem (aside from the self-imposed requirement that I sell some other packs before buying an SA) is that I really want an all-Verde SA with a Wasabi lining. Ah, well. I'll figure it out. Haven't sold those other bags yet, anyway.

Comment

I had a SA in Steel dyneema for about a year before selling it. (I've since converted to the Synapse 25). If I had to do it all over again and I was still in the market for a SA, I would buy it in ballistic. My Dyneema SA always sagged a bit because I didn't tend to fully pack it as my EDC. I ended up having to pack more into it in order to make it sag less and not fall over. That defeated the purpose of trying to pack light!

I'd say that if you plan to use a Dyneema SA with the idea of packing it full or close to full on a more consistent basis, then Dyneema should be fine. Otherwise, I'd suggest going with the ballistic. Of course YMMV.

Comment

I'm in the same boat. Last night I was going to pull the trigger on a Dyneema SA with all the fixings but the missus gave me the are-you-sure? look because I've been pining for the Dyneema S25 (new batch late July). I would get the bigger pack and the better half gets my beloved S19. The thing I find odd is that all S25 LxWxH dimensions are greater than the SA yet dimensionally smaller SA is 26L > 25L of the S25. We're guessing the S25 design folds in some volume. Any dual S25/SAers care to mention how well each carries an equal load? That is, is one more comfortable than the other carrying the same ?

Comment

ThreeLeaves I'd but the different volume/size down to the organisation-front pannel of the S25, as you suggest yourself.

Both are very near to each other in size (dah) and I feel, that both are equally compftable IF PACKED GOOD. You have a S19 so you know that it is possible to pack, that things "pock" into the weares back.
                            I have had all that stuff I houl around on a daily bases in both packs. If I where to choose only one of them I'd go by the content I want to carry: that stack of books in the picture abuve would not work in a Synapse.
                            But if I had mere a thinner load of large things (Laptop a few foulders and a magazine for example) and loads od smaler items than the Synapse is the way to go.

At the end of the day: due to its big inner room, the SA is the more versitail of the two. But also the one where small stuff can "get lost".
                            At the moment I have a Standart Spiff Kitt in my SA for all the little bits and bobs which can wither lai flat across or stand up due to how I pack. I find the Spiff Kits both to be great in providing a lot of organisation way beyond bath stuff.
                            But there are so many different ways to organize a SA just keep in mind it needs more of that than the S25.

If I where in the USA and sending back would be a real option for me (and I had more selfdisceplin....) I'd order both packs (the balistic/dyneema SAs in BarryLees case and an SA/S25 in ThreeLeavs' case) and have my better half send the less admired one back. I'd consider these 10 bugs as an investment in a in deabth hands on research.

HTH
                            Ilkyway

Comment

Great thread with lots of helpful info! I've been hoping for a black dyneema/island Smart Alec, but I realize now that it might be a bit too floppy for me as it wouldn't be packed fully. Perhaps, my S25 is the better bag for me anyway.

ETA: after thinking about it today, I find I'm still jonesing for the dyneema/island SA...
                              bubmum
                              Forum Member
                              Last edited by bubmum; 06-26-2015, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X