Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,827   Posts: 191,328   Members: 6,703   Active Members: 266
Welcome to our newest member, zacattac.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A30: Verde/NWS or wait for Steel/UV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone,

I couldn't decide. What will you choose? Verde/NWS or wait for Steel/UV?

I owned Ballistic Navy and Coyote. Love both colosr. I really hope to try Ballistic Steel and at the same time, I really want a NWS Lining too. I have not try Ballistic Verde, but I am fond of other green like Parapack Olive, Wasabi Cordura. Unfortunately, not yet Olive Cordura and, Wasabi Dyneema is definitely not my choice as lining.

I am also somewhat reluctant to try on Verde because I really do not wish to have a Tactical-feeling Bag. When I compare to Verde and Steel, I feel Verde is more casual while Steel is more sophisticated.

Just a few weeks ago, I discover that I really like Steel 200d Dyneema than 400d Dyeema colors. I have plan to like all my Packing Accessories in Steel 200d Dyneema. For an example, Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (PCSB), Packing Cube Backpack (PCBP), 3D Organizer Cube.

What you guys think? Please feel free to comment, even your thoughts of the colors and/or even correct me.
    If anyone has an Aeronaut with Northwest Sky lining, I would like to ask for your help to share a few photos here. Or if such photos had been shared elsewhere before, I could really need your help to direct me.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate your help.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

First, you are making me jealous with this question, because I love Verde, and I keep eyeing that particular combination on the web site. However I do not need another Aeronaut 30.

In my opinion, only order a bag in a color you really like. So if steel is your preference, I would advise waiting until steel is available. Particularly for something this expensive
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Comment

I had a steel/UV A45 and thought it was nice (I like UV linings generally). However I struggled with the steel as I just didn't like the green tint to it.

I love the NWS and would make an excellent lining. I've not seen the Verde in person but I imagine a rich deep colour. If it were me, I'd therefore go for the Verde/NWS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

Originally posted by Perseffect View Post
        I had a steel/UV A45 and thought it was nice (I like UV linings generally). However I struggled with the steel as I just didn't like the green tint to it.
        @Perseffect, I think you bought your steel/UV A45 just at the end of the last batch of Steel Ballistic Nylon with the "greenish" tint. See my post that was titled "The Gospel According to Luke on Steel Ballistic Nylon color …". As best I can determine, they got in new batches of Steel Ballistic Nylon without the greenish tint and started using them for new production batches by mid-May 2015 (based on when this started showing up in Pilots that were second orders of Steel Ballistic in "bluish" rather than "greenish" tones). Yes, one of our forum members ordered a second Steel Ballistic Nylon Pilot and could tell the difference in the colors.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Thanks for that Moriond. It had missed that change (mine was an older 2013/14 ish model) and was avoiding steel now for that reason. Knowing it has a blueish tint now will certainly make me reconsider it in the future. Thanks.

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

@Perseffect,

You weren't alone with your concerns over the greenish tint of that earlier batch of Ballistic Nylon. The specific reason that prompted my post on the "Gospel according to Luke…" was the release of new Side Effects in Steel/UV near that time. Many people, including @Ilkyway who had ordered an earlier Steel Ballistic Nylon Side Effect with the greenish tinge, were holding off on orders until it could be established that the current batch did not have a green tinge. That was what led to my query to Luke, but the switch the "bluer" tones of Steel had already taken place for bags produced a few months earlier.

moriond

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
              First, you are making me jealous with this question, because I love Verde, and I keep eyeing that particular combination on the web site. However I do not need another Aeronaut 30.

In my opinion, only order a bag in a color you really like. So if steel is your preference, I would advise waiting until steel is available. Particularly for something this expensive
              True, it is really quite an expensive item.
              Actually, you don't have to envy me or get jealous with my question/purchase. I am justifying it with "two costs". One, traded away my only Nordic PCSB to get additional funding. Second, I am thinking to let go my current Navy/Solar Aeronaut 45 after successfully acquired an A30 and plenty of comparison between these two. The reason is I don't feel like getting two almost similar feature/function Bags and I really hope to spread out my Bag Inventory to seek a 40-45 Litre Travel Bag Carry-On with Padded Waist Belt and/or some kind of internal frame. But. But. Who knows, I couldn't help myself of letting go my Solar. Haha. That's another entirely different issue.

Originally posted by Perseffect View Post

I love the NWS and would make an excellent lining. I've not seen the Verde in person but I imagine a rich deep colour. If it were me, I'd therefore go for the Verde/NWS.

I also really think I would like the UV linings too. Before you decide to on your Steel/UV A45, mind to share more your thoughts why you choose Steel Ballistic over others?

Is Ballistic Steel is a brighter grey? Can I assume Ballistic Steel will look more brighter than Navy, Verde?

Thanks @moriond too for your great insights. It really help in my decision making.

Comment

If this helps at all, I used to own some items in olive, and did feel that they had a bit of a "tactical" look. In my opinion, the ballistic verde is a different shade and I think it is a bit more sophisticated. However, colors are very personal things, and I think something either appeals to someone or it doesn't.

In terms of the price I wasn't trying to be critical or dissuade you in any way. The Aeronaut 30 is a great bag and totally worth it. My only point was that it is worth waiting to get it in the color you prefer.

Good luck with your decision-making!
                ----
                All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                Edmund Burke

Comment

Thanks @bchaplin,

I'd settled and ordered Verde/NWS. I am really looking forward it and hopefully, I will like it. I'm trying not to put in too much expectation, either.

Once arrived, I will snap a few photos to share here. I am kinda surprised that there isn't any photo showing NWS Lining in the Forum.

Thanks every again for your input.

Comment

If this helps at all, I used to own some items in olive, and did feel that they had a bit of a "tactical" look. In my opinion, the ballistic verde is a different shade and I think it is a bit more sophisticated. However, colors are very personal things, and I think something either appeals to someone or it doesn't.

In terms of the price I wasn't trying to be critical or dissuade you in any way. The Aeronaut 30 is a great bag and totally worth it. My only point was that it is worth waiting to get it in the color you prefer.

Good luck with your decision-making!
                    Is there much difference in batches of the same color? Perhaps it's my monitor, but I thought Verde was a little brighter than the piece I just received. If asked to describe it, I'd say it was an olive green. Perhaps compared to TB Olive, it isn't. By any chance do you have a comparison photo of your Verde items next to your Olive ones?

Comment

Unfortunately, I no longer have any olive items.
                      The Verde seems to me to be a richer color, and also looks darker to me in person than in the product photos. I'd call it closer to avocado than olive, but not in a bad, "60's kitchen" kind of way.
                      Maybe someone who owns the two can post a photo? I seem to remember that there was a post like that somewhere.
                      ----
                      Edmund Burke

Comment

I will be happy to take photos of both Verde A30 and Olive Parapack SCB but I do not have Olive Cordura for a complete Olive/Green comparison. Also, my Verde A30 just leave US (after a grueling 80 hours wait) and currently en-route to Asia Sort Facilities. I believe I need to wait an another 48 hours before I will get them on my hand.

Comment

Unfortunately, I no longer have any olive items.
                          The Verde seems to me to be a richer color, and also looks darker to me in person than in the product photos. I'd call it closer to avocado than olive, but not in a bad, "60's kitchen" kind of way.
                          Maybe someone who owns the two can post a photo? I seem to remember that there was a post like that somewhere.
                          Avocado is the perfect description of Verde. Thanks also for the link to the kitchens of yesteryear. I remember those!

Comment

Just in case this helps, I had posted a photo of some of my green bags a while back. This has verde, kiwi, olive parapack, and wasabi. Sorry, no cordura.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
                            "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Comment

Originally posted by NWhikergal View Post
                              Just in case this helps, I had posted a photo of some of my green bags a while back. This has verde, kiwi, olive parapack, and wasabi. Sorry, no cordura.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Are those both Q Kits? Ohhh, now I need the Small one!

Comment

Working...
                              X