Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,817   Posts: 191,200   Members: 6,711   Active Members: 264
Welcome to our newest member, toomuchlove.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A30: Verde/NWS or wait for Steel/UV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wolpertinger
    replied
    My A30 arrived last week and I finally take the time to answer here.
    I immediately liked verde, when I saw it in person. It has similar qualities as navy, in my opinion. It's shimmery, which means that it changes it's appearance depending on the light. It can be a vibrant green in broad daylight and quite inconspicuous in lower light.
    It's hard to describe for me. I think the pictures capture it quite well.
    Thank you again @weirdguy.

Leave a comment:

• wolpertinger
    replied
    I see, we have a similar taste in color. My A45 is also navy, so is my night flight, but navy/iberian is a combination i don't like that much.
    So I broke with my usual color choice.
    My A30 will not arrive before next Wednesday. I'll share my thoughts with you gladly.

Leave a comment:

• weirdguy
    replied
    Originally posted by wolpertinger View Post
    I'd like to say, thank you for this thread. It helped me to make up my mind after my first choice Navy/NWS was gone (again).
    So now a Verde/NWS A30 is on it's way to me. I had big trouble to decide if I like Verde or not, your pics and descriptions were very helpful.
    I'm glad that my posts helped out.

I'm not sure whether I had brought this up before. Before I chose Verde/NWS A30. My first choice was also Navy/NWS or Navy/Zest because I fear Verde or Green could be too tactical. Unfortunately when I decided, Navy with NWS or Zest were also gone. Luckily the Navy options were actually gone. Or else, I wouldn't get myself to try such awesome Ballistic color.

I still feel my Verde A30 looks slightly tactical in its own way. I still like it a lot though. Honestly, I think I find Verde more appealing than my A45 Navy. I'm guessing my next Carry-On Backpack gotta be Blueish-Steel Ballistic or Coyote Ballistic.

I hope you will like yours when it arrive. Do feel free to post your thoughts after that.
    Last edited by weirdguy; 10-09-2015, 06:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wolpertinger
    replied
    I'd like to say, thank you for this thread. It helped me to make up my mind after my first choice Navy/NWS was gone (again).
    So now a Verde/NWS A30 is on it's way to me. I had big trouble to decide if I like Verde or not, your pics and descriptions were very helpful.

Leave a comment:

• weirdguy
    replied
    NFTD's Packing Cube vs 3D Cube vs Travel Tray

Thanks @catherder & @pammy.

More Photo:
    I also get myself a (NFTD) Night Flight Travel Duffle's Packing Cube only. I find it is slightly more affordable, more volume due to its flexible-built than almost similar size of 3D Organizer Cube. Yeah, the squarish Packing Cube may not have pleasing/colorful look but I think it is more functional. I prefer this than, even my Travel Tray especially when I need the content to be secure, in a sense of not having any small things falling out without myself knowing. The Mesh could be an issue for super-tiny stuff and best to keep them in pouches first. Also, I have personal issue with closure with drawstring. Small item like SIM-Card/Coins (Tiny) may escape through the Tiny Holes of a closed Drawstring. Overall I feel, the squarish Packing Cube is more organizable/versatile as it can swallow the Small & Mini squarish Pouches and 3D Cubes without their Dimensions/Corners being affected.

I am not sure whether anyone may have discuss in the Forum before. I will just like to add my opinion: NFTD's Packing Cube vs 3D Cube vs Travel Tray.

The 3D Fabric Organizer Cube Black Parapack in the photo isn't belong to me. My friend ordered one and I borrow it to take some shot and also make few comparison. I don't have Side Effect, Lead Pocket or any other 3D Fabric Organizer Cube. Since I only have 1 3D Fabric Organizer Cube, I couldn't try to see exactly how many the Packing Cube could hold. Perhaps, 2 full 3D Cubes? When I placed the 3D Cubes into the Packing Cube, it isn't a tight fit on the side. There is still ample space available around it.

In the photo, I used my half-dead yellow Lumia 1020 Mobile (5.13" x 2.81", slight bigger than iPhone 4S 4.5"x2.31") as some sort of measurement. Also, just for testing purpose, I stacked in the following and the Packing Cube isn't tightly pack either.
    • 4 Small Cordura Pouches Empty
    • 1 Small Padded Pouches Empty
    • 2 Mini Cordura Pouches Empty
    • Half Empty 3D Cube

It will be lovely if TB could, one day, introduce an All-Fabric (Dyneema) Small Packing Cube for NFTD.

Have a great weekend, Everyone!
    Last edited by weirdguy; 09-13-2015, 02:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pammy
    replied
    Wow, I really love that verde. It is a beautiful color. Congrats on your new bag.

Leave a comment:

• catherder
    replied
    @Weirdguy, gorgeous bag!

Leave a comment:

• GoStanford
    replied
    Originally posted by brendabethman View Post
    This seems to be popular way to wear backpacks on my campus.
    At least they are wearing the backpacks on both shoulders. I confess I spent 2 years in high school wearing my backpack on one shoulder because that was the trend.

Leave a comment:

• weirdguy
    replied
    Part 2: More Photos. Enjoy!

I find myself hard to capture the true/vibrant color of Verde. The Verde Ballistic share similar difficulty with Parapack Olive. The Sheen of both Fabric, I believe is what so great about that color.
    I don't have Olive Cordura, hence I have no opinion on that.

Last edited by weirdguy; 09-12-2015, 08:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• weirdguy
    replied
    Haha. I am too. I always tease my friends and my wife to remind them that we are already old and we will getting older by day, month and years. The ladies would shot me that "Dare you!" glare!

Anyway, I manage to get more shots of my Verde A30. Hope you guys enjoy it.
    Best view at Display Resolution of Minimum 1280 x 1024 to ensure no in-scrolling required

Note: I am not sure what happened to the Forum's Hosted Photos. Every time I tried to attached photos, it converted it into a tiny thumbnail. Personally, I don't like the experience of the need to click the thumbnail in order to preview the photo on my screen. Hence, I came out with an alternative solution. I hosted my own photo at my OneDrive and attached the link for you guys' convenience. It will definitely more of my time to update this Post but I think it is worth it. Enjoy!

This remind me or Extra Extra Extra Large Q-Kit.

Last edited by weirdguy; 09-12-2015, 07:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pokilani
    replied
    Originally posted by brendabethman View Post
    This seems to be popular way to wear backpacks on my campus. I have to stop myself from going up to students I don't know to tell them a) this looks terrible and b) it's likely not good for their shoulders. This is how I know I am getting old. I will know I am old when I am no longer able to restrain myself from scolding them :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I guess that makes me old too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• brendabethman
    replied
    Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
    Too funny! Yes, I have noticed people wearing their backpacks like this and I completely agree. That would bother me.

So glad you like the Verde! Even if it is a *lot* like olive.
    This seems to be popular way to wear backpacks on my campus. I have to stop myself from going up to students I don't know to tell them a) this looks terrible and b) it's likely not good for their shoulders. This is how I know I am getting old. I will know I am old when I am no longer able to restrain myself from scolding them :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• bchaplin
    replied
    Originally posted by weirdguy View Post
    I haven't start test pack my new A30, neither make any test pack comparison between my two Aeronaut but I do currently put pillow in each Aeronaut and test backpacking it for the feel between the two. I realized that the A30 feel better. I am not really sure how to express this. Hence, pardon my maybe-weird explanation. When I am backpacking any type of Backpack, I like to wear it high. Strapping the strap to the end of Backpack Strap. I don't like backpacking low. It is like dragging the Bag when walking and the Bag constantly hitting one butt. I think it is a fashion statement or style for some.
    Too funny! Yes, I have noticed people wearing their backpacks like this and I completely agree. That would bother me.

So glad you like the Verde! Even if it is a *lot* like olive.

Leave a comment:

• weirdguy
    replied
    Thanks @tpnl.
    Yeah, I agree carrying backpack "high" is really normal and strongly recommended due to health issue. But surprisingly, I still find my local-TB friend about the same age as mine, prefer to carry it low. Not Aeronaut, but Smart Alec and Brain Bag. I haven't ask her why but it seems to be her style so I don't bother to ask.

@tpnl, do you own both Aeronaut? Do you find the different feeling of carrying them in both "high" height?
    I am really surprised that Tom Bihn Team get it right. Even I pushed my A45 to the maximum "high" height, I still feel a slightly drag behind. I could the feel the Bag isn't high enough, though I had used up the Strap. Probably, it is only occur to my Body Length. Nevertheless, TB Team get my new A30 right. The feeling is much more comfortable and I believe it will really help on the full weight of the Bag + Contents. I tried on my Wife to get her perspective, she felt the same conclusion.

Sorry, I have to repeat myself on that statement. I will see over the weekend, whether there is any obvious differences from Photos.

Leave a comment:

• tpnl
    replied
    Nice pictures. I especially like the matching green Double Carabiner in one of the pictures.

I agree about carrying my backpacks "high" which is normal. Having it ride "low" as is the fashion these days actually is worse on your back - defeating one of the purposes of using a backpack (to reduce / eliminate back and shoulder pain)

Enjoy your new A30 - looks great!

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X