Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,818   Posts: 191,201   Members: 6,712   Active Members: 264
Welcome to our newest member, toomuchlove.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A30 vs. A45?! & 14"/15.6" laptop in TB Cache fits securely in Aeronaut 30/45?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A30 vs. A45?! & 14"/15.6" laptop in TB Cache fits securely in Aeronaut 30/45?

First off, I just want to admit (as most new forum members do ) that I've been lurking in the TB forum for a while, getting to know all things TB, officially joining the Forum in the last week. This community is so welcoming, and I love how we can all relate to each other's obsession and fascination with this amazing brand. Thank you all for making me feel right at home!

Anyways, along with the forum lurking, I've been contemplating over the last year whether I should bite the bullet and just get an Aeronaut (a common dilemma among Forum members for sure). However, the thought that always holds me back is if I'd regret buying the A30 and want the A45 for more capacity (or vice versa -- i.e., wishing I had something smaller). For reference, I usually pack a 21" spinner luggage snugly (but not tightly) for a 4-5 day trip and a 24" spinner luggage very loosely for a 7-10 day trip.

I currently own a S19 and a CP, and I absolutely love both, so I'd probably use one of those as the EDC alongside whichever I decide to get. Would either of those work well with the A30/A45? How have your experiences been?

Additionally, in the event that I wish to bring a laptop with me a trip, would a 14" (mine) or 15.6" (boyfriend's) fit securely in either? Does anyone know if one would fit better over the other (or advice on how to make it work best)?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
    in omnia parata

SCB SSB TT MCB CP DLBP LSB SE SK LS PU P L PT S19

Hi @fieewanders and welcome to the forum! I only own the A45 (but have been contemplating the A30), and can tell you that I absolutely love mine. I find that for me at least when I don't fill it all the way, it still works out just fine. I usually pair it with a CP or S19, just like you're thinking of doing, and that combo works really well. One upside of getting the A45 is that if you are on a shorter trip and it's not completely full, you have room for souvenirs on the way home. You could also use the extra room in an A45 to put your CP, making for one-bag travel. I've done this for short 2-4 day trips by air. It makes is so much easier to get through the airport, plus I've never had a problem smooshing it in the overhead once I take the CP out.

I can't really speak to your laptop questions, since I have an 11" MAcBook Air that I usually squeeze into my CP.

Hope this helps!
    Eat well, travel often.

Comment

Hello fieewanders,

Yup, a common dilemma for Forum Members. I was in your position, last 2 weeks regarding which color to go for the A30. I'm lucky that I like the color when it arrived.

Back to your dilemma.
      • I have both A30 (Current Edition) and A45 (Last Year Edition, few months before the introduction of A30. Interior isn't using Zip)
      • I only have Brain Cell Size 1 for my 15.6" M4600 Mobile Workstation, no Cache
      • But I do have a 13" Macbook Pro Retina for my Dell Ultralight E7240

To my experience, I could fit my Brain Cell Size 1 (15.6") into my A45. It takes quite a while to get it in. I think Cache with its smaller dimension should be easier without any much problem.

While on my A30, I try my 13" Cache on my A30 with interior zip intact, it is a close fit. Just right. Hence, I think shall you wish to fit a 15" Cache, you need to unzip the interior zip for more space. Taking some space from the End Pockets.

I took a few photos for you to understand easier. Hope this helps!
      Navy Blue is my A45, while Verde Green is my A30.

On another part of your question "fits securely" in Aeronaut. You used the term securely. I guess you expect some kind of attachment to the Cache so it wouldn't move around. If this is the case, unfortunately the Aeronaut isn't design to have Cache/BrainCell being securely attached to the Bag unlike Smart Alec, Synapse, Daylight Briefcase and others. Yet, at least not the current design. Probably in the future. If you really like to have one though I am not sure whether it is recommended, you could use the Cache's Gatekeeper Rail Clips on both bottom and top. See below.

I only have two Gatekeeper Rail Clips hence I only can secure the bottom so you could understand what I am trying to propose. One main disadvantage is zero accessibility to the Laptop while on the move. Because the Cache will be stack on the bottom. Is this recommended? I would like to hear from the Senior Members for their input.

Anyway, thanks @fieewanders for bringing up a unique questions. Again, I hope those helps.
      I think I could be using this down the roads especially if I am acting the A30 as bigger Night Flight Travel Duffle for those half-way around the World journey. I couldn't live without my Laptop and NFTD couldn't fit a 13" Laptop.

Add: Another main concern is the Cache is being stacked at the problem. I fear the pressure from the top (stack of clothing in compressed packing cube) could somehow affect the Laptop. Like the recent news of "bent" iPhone. I am not an iPhone user but it is a concern nevertheless. While also, the Cache is very thick-hard protective cover unlike those Neoprene sold in the market.
      Last edited by weirdguy; 09-14-2015, 05:30 PM.
      Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
      Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
      Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
      Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Comment

Thanks, @nukediver! I think I'm now leaning more toward the A45 -- one-bag travel isn't a bad option to have!
        in omnia parata

Comment

Originally posted by weirdguy View Post
          I was in your position, last 2 weeks regarding which color to go for the A30. I'm lucky that I like the color when it arrived.
          Yay! I have a S19 in the same color. Verde is lovely shade of green!

• I have both A30 (Current Edition) and A45 (Last Year Edition, few months before the introduction of A30. Interior isn't using Zip)
          Not sure what you meant by "Interior isn't using Zip" -- does that mean you don't have the inside compartment unzipping to the outer pockets? Or are you referring to something else?

While on my A30, I try my 13" Cache on my A30 with interior zip intact, it is a close fit. Just right. Hence, I think shall you wish to fit a 15" Cache, you need to unzip the interior zip for more space. Taking some space from the End Pockets.
          That's exactly what I was wondering (whether I would need to unzip the interior) -- thanks for your commentary and thorough photographs. Definitely helps in visualizing how the two different sized laptops will fit via Cache.

On another part of your question "fits securely" in Aeronaut. You used the term securely. I guess you expect some kind of attachment to the Cache so it wouldn't move around.
          [...]
          Add: Another main concern is the Cache is being stacked at the problem. I fear the pressure from the top (stack of clothing in compressed packing cube) could somehow affect the Laptop. Like the recent news of "bent" iPhone. I am not an iPhone user but it is a concern nevertheless. While also, the Cache is very thick-hard protective cover unlike those Neoprene sold in the market.
          I probably should've been a little clearer with this part of my question. By "securely" I meant whether or not the laptop Cache would be moving around a lot inside the A30/A45 and how snug it would be with/without the interiors zipped (as you had addressed earlier). Thank you for the photographs of the Cache/Gatekeeper Railclips with the tie-down straps. Like you said, I would also be worried about the weight of the A30/A45's contents on top of the laptop Cache as well as lack of hassle-free accessibility there. With the current design of the A30/A45, sounds like putting the Cache at the top/near the top is the most sensible option. I think my concern would be if I went with the A45, would the laptop remain stable while the bag was being carried (especially in backpack form), but I suppose with the interiors still zipped, the laptop would rest atop whatever contents were at the bottom of the bag (one of the end pockets).

I also found a video posted by Tom Bihn in 2009 for the Aeronaut 45 on YouTube where they show a Macbook Pro in its Cache being packed inside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nXibDqW-Gc

So perhaps that was the recommended Cache usage for the A45 all along!
          in omnia parata

Comment

Greetings and welcome!
            Just a thought for your consideration: does the Aeronaut45 meet the carry on restrictions for the European airlines? They have smaller bag dimensions and usually impose a weight restriction as well. I'm not sure I could keep the weight down if I had the A45. If your plans don't include airlines with the smaller bags it won't make any difference.

No matter which bag you get, I'm sure you will love it! elisa

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
              Greetings and welcome!
              ...restrictions for the European airlines? They have smaller bag dimensions and usually impose a weight restriction as well. I'm not sure I could keep the weight down if I had the A45. If your plans don't include airlines with the smaller bags it won't make any difference.
              Thanks for pointing that out @AlaskaGirl -- I'll have to look into that!
              in omnia parata

Comment

Originally posted by fieewanders View Post
                Yay! I have a S19 in the same color. Verde is lovely shade of green!
                I'm glad you like the color, Verde. I got a feeling that I will like the Green/Olive in Cordura too. I haven't have any Bag in Olive Cordura. Yet!

Not sure what you meant by "Interior isn't using Zip" -- does that mean you don't have the inside compartment unzipping to the outer pockets? Or are you referring to something else?
                Sorry, I should have been more clear. In those days before A30, user could expand the Main Compartment's space by unbutton 4 buttons (2 on each Side) on Main Compartment (See the Below Right Photo, with Solar Yellow Lining). The buttons will release the border to a certain degree between the End Pockets and Main Compartment. By the introduction of A30, the design was revised by using Zip. I had took a comparison photo for you to understand better. Also, the Youtube link you attached previously is like my A45's button in Main Compartment. Because the Lining of the Youtube A45 is Steel, slightly darker and the button is in Black color too. Viewer may not realise there were actually buttons there.

Is those called buttons?
                Left to Right: A30 and A45

That's exactly what I was wondering (whether I would need to unzip the interior) -- thanks for your commentary and thorough photographs. Definitely helps in visualizing how the two different sized laptops will fit via Cache.

I probably should've been a little clearer with this part of my question. By "securely" I meant whether or not the laptop Cache would be moving around a lot inside the A30/A45 and how snug it would be with/without the interiors zipped (as you had addressed earlier). Thank you for the photographs of the Cache/Gatekeeper Railclips with the tie-down straps. Like you said, I would also be worried about the weight of the A30/A45's contents on top of the laptop Cache as well as lack of hassle-free accessibility there. With the current design of the A30/A45, sounds like putting the Cache at the top/near the top is the most sensible option. I think my concern would be if I went with the A45, would the laptop remain stable while the bag was being carried (especially in backpack form), but I suppose with the interiors still zipped, the laptop would rest atop whatever contents were at the bottom of the bag (one of the end pockets).

I also found a video posted by Tom Bihn in 2009 for the Aeronaut 45 on YouTube where they show a Macbook Pro in its Cache being packed inside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nXibDqW-Gc

So perhaps that was the recommended Cache usage for the A45 all along!
                No problem, @fieewanders. I'm glad that I could help.
                The Youtube Link you gave earlier, showed the Cache (15" Cache?) a great fit on the Top. I also would like do a quick test pack with a 13" Cache Vertically Fitted on the Side of the Main Compartment (Top).

I can conclude that fitting the 13" Cache on the Side is a close fit. The Cache Vertical Dimension is a right fit to the Main Compartment as well.
                Note: I did not pack "compactly full" for my Packing Cube. You may like to know this. Also, I didn't release any of my A45 Main Compartment's button when test pack.

Again, hope this will help you out. Enjoy!
                Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
                Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
                Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
                Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Comment

I'm glad you like the color, Verde. I got a feeling that I will like the Green/Olive in Cordura too. I haven't have any Bag in Olive Cordura. Yet!
                  Oops, made a total newbie mistake here. Forgot that the Aeronauts are made of ballistic nylon, not the cordura. I meant to say that the S19 I have in Olive is similar to the A30 you have in Verde!

In those days before A30, user could expand the Main Compartment's space by unbutton 4 buttons (2 on each Side) on Main Compartment (See the Below Right Photo, with Solar Yellow Lining). The buttons will release the border to a certain degree between the End Pockets and Main Compartment. By the introduction of A30, the design was revised by using Zip. I had took a comparison photo for you to understand better. Also, the Youtube link you attached previously is like my A45's button in Main Compartment. Because the Lining of the Youtube A45 is Steel, slightly darker and the button is in Black color too. Viewer may not realise there were actually buttons there.
                  Thanks for the additional photos -- I now understand the zip/button situation in the current and former iterations of the A30/A45.

The Youtube Link you gave earlier, showed the Cache (15" Cache?) a great fit on the Top. I also would like do a quick test pack with a 13" Cache Vertically Fitted on the Side of the Main Compartment (Top).

I can conclude that fitting the 13" Cache on the Side is a close fit. The Cache Vertical Dimension is a right fit to the Main Compartment as well.
                  Note: I did not pack "compactly full" for my Packing Cube. You may like to know this. Also, I didn't release any of my A45 Main Compartment's button when test pack.
                  Thanks again for the additional clarifications and photos -- certainly restores my confidence in using a Cache with the A30/A45 as well as in placing it at the top of the clamshell opening.

Now...onto deciding whether it's gonna be an A30 or an A45 (or, dare I say it, both?!)!
                  in omnia parata

Comment

Working...
                  X