Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,743   Posts: 190,294   Members: 6,602   Active Members: 258
Welcome to our newest member, Hokie12.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Ego shoulder strap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have owned a Super Ego briefcase for several years. I bought from Bihn direct with the standard shoulder strap.

The only thing I dislike about the Super Ego is this: If I could order a Super Ego with the same kind of quick-remove/quick-install clasp shoulder strap as the Empire Builder and the Zephyr, it would be ideal. It takes only a couple seconds to remove or install a clasp-mounted shoulder strap on those other briefcases.

It there a way to address this? If I bought an Absolute Shoulder Strap for an Empire Builder or a Zephyr, is there a good way to rig the Super Ego to accept the clasps?

Just curious.
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

One question:

Is your Super Ego Shoulder Strap Webbing 2" or 1.5" wide?

Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

Mtn
      This is my only gripe too with the S.E. and it has been a ongoing issue and problem for me for years now.
      Seemingly there is no way out too?

Comment

^ I don't know the answer to that. I'm assuming there's some workaround. This is why I posted the original question above.
        Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Comment

Originally posted by tpnl View Post
          One question:

Is your Super Ego Shoulder Strap Webbing 2" or 1.5" wide?

Cheers!
          I'll measure and get back with you tomorrow.

Comment

The Standard Shoulder Strap on my Super Ego is 1.5 inches wide.

Comment

@MtnMan

The easiest (and cheapest - $2) solution I found (beside the Cheater D adapters that TB used to sell) is to use a pair of the larger 1.5 inch Triangle Metal Hooks (same hook used in the front of the Brain Bag) from the TB Parts page. Because the normal Ego attachment point has a generous loop, you can easily thread it through or just over it. I like that the triangle hook is mostly plastic - so does not wear the black coating on the metal snaphooks of the absolute shoulder strap as much.

Here is how it looks when I threaded the Triangle Metal Hook through the loop connection that connects the tri-glide clamp. I like this setup best.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Triangle_InLoop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	297582

Name:	Triangle_CloseupInLoop.jpg
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	297584

You can also just thread the tri-glide clamp though the inner hole of the Triangle Metal Hook. It is not as firmly in place as the above solution and does tend to rotate but is another option and does not feel like it would fall off especially if you have the Shoulder Strap clamped on. It is a very low profile look.

Name:	Triangle_OutsideLoop.jpg
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	297583

Name:	Triangle_CloseupOutsideLoop.jpg
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	297585

IMHO, this could also work with the 2" width straps of the older versions of the Ego / Super Ego but it would scrunch the webbing as the Triangle Metal Hook is only 1.5". I cannot comment either way as I do not have one of those Egoes to try.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
              Last edited by tpnl; 10-15-2015, 10:14 PM.
              TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

I cannot find a link to the Tom Bihn parts page. Where is it?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by MtnMan View Post
                  I cannot find a link to the Tom Bihn parts page. Where is it?

Thanks in advance.
                  You can find Parts listed under the Accesories page, but I've provided a direct link. Select items in the drop-down menu to see each part, and you can also read the text description list that starts: "Here's a general guide to which parts go where:"

HTH

moriond

Comment

My Super Ego currently has the standard (non-clasp) shoulder strap attached. If I wanted to convert it over to a quick-remove shoulder strap like what's already illustrated in this thread (costumizing the existing strap), what other parts do I need?

This would allow me to buy the Absolute Shoulder Strap later.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

You would need 1.5" metal snap hooks (on the parts page) and some metal or plastic single-bar toothed slides in order to adjust the length of the strap (and might already be on the strap now). Those are not on the parts page; it wouldn't hurt to ask, or if you Google "single bar toothed slides for webbing straps" you will have a wealth of manufacturers to choose from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by Badger; 10-16-2015, 11:38 AM.

Comment

@MtnMan

If you are talking about adding a Metal Snaphook to your existing Super Ego shoulder strap (so your shoulder strap can "snap" onto the solution I posted earlier), I agree with @Badger - get a pair of 1.5" Metal Snap Hooks ($2). Also, get 2 1.5" plastic Tri-Glides ($1) - also on the Parts Page. Both items are sold as Pairs.

BTW - while you are there purchasing the parts, get a Brain Bag too .... and end the decision indecision!

Once you have them, look at this video by @Maverick on the converting between using the Snap Hooks and without. Essentially, you are doing the reverse of what he is showing in the video:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOpmHKpMQfo

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Comment

So, the Tri-Glides are the only other part that I need? Sounds reasonable.

Comment

Yes

To do the conversion of a Shoulder Strap to use Snap Hooks, you need a pair of 1.5" Metal Snap Hooks and a pair of 1.5" tri-glides
                            To do the conversion of your Super Ego allowing it to accept Shoulder Strap Snap Hooks (any), you need a pair of 1.5" Triangle Metal Hooks.

If using TB parts, see the items I have highlighted with Red Arrows:

Name:	Conversion Parts.jpg
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	297602

In addition, when ordering, you could call TB customer service and see if they could send it regular mail as these parts as so small - saves a bit on shipping perhaps.

... and if TBAS gets to you and you add a Coyote Brain Bag - as close as you can get to the retired Camo version you liked ... so be it!

I might also suggest ... if you want the Stabilizer Strap option, get a Q-AM Shoulder Strap. The 1.5" Stabilizer attachment (not sold separately unfortunately - but you can call and ask) works with the existing 1.5" Super Ego Waist Strap (check that it is 1.5" as well). The good thing too is that you can slide it off and use it with the Absolute Shoulder Strap and (I believe) the Simple Shoulder Strap. It will be a bit looser because the Stabilizer is meant to go over the padded part of the Q-AM but I find this is fine as, on the other Straps, it can be easily slid down the webbing (ie slid out of the way) when not in use. Oh - and you can also convert the Q-AM Shoulder Strap the same way to use Snap Hooks if you want.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Edit: As for the load bearing capacity of the Triangle Metal Hooks, I cannot say empirically - but I can say they are thick and probably as good as most of the other eye-loops I have seen out there. I have seen these same hooks used as part of other Shoulder Straps so they should be able to handle most loads well. I personally have not had an issue with using them for medium to heavy loads.
                            Last edited by tpnl; 10-18-2015, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I ordered the parts last night. Shipping today, according to Bihn Central.

The Brain Bag will have to wait a little longer.
                              Last edited by MtnMan; 10-22-2015, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X