Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,649   Members: 6,657   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, CamMattie.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smart Alec to bungie or not to bungie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart Alec to bungie or not to bungie

I just got my first TB bag today and its a smart alec. I also order the front clasps just because I'm used to bags with these on them. Now can any of the TB family tell me what they use and why and include pics if you can. I just do not want to remove the bungie unless its completely useless and I'm looking for idea.

I just use the bungee to tighten the bag if I'm not carrying much. It's such a small thing, maybe just take it off and keep it somewhere in the bag. It would be handy for a wet rain jacket if it stops raining and you don't want to wear it anymore. Or a yoga mat.

Comment

Whenever I use my Smart Alec for air travel, I stow my light jacket or sweater under the bungee on the outside when I am walking briskly through the airport. Then the jacket is easily accessible when I board, just in case it is cool on the plane. I have used the bungee for all sorts of miscellaneous items, such as a loaf of french bread when doing Sunday farmer's market shopping. I find it incredibly versatile for objects that are either oddly shaped or that I would like to have immediately handy.
      "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
      "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Comment

Originally posted by NWhikergal View Post
        Whenever I use my Smart Alec for air travel, I stow my light jacket or sweater under the bungee on the outside when I am walking briskly through the airport. Then the jacket is easily accessible when I board, just in case it is cool on the plane. I have used the bungee for all sorts of miscellaneous items, such as a loaf of french bread when doing Sunday farmer's market shopping. I find it incredibly versatile for objects that are either oddly shaped or that I would like to have immediately handy.
        I am actually going to the green market tomorrow am with it! I will try bring it with me just in case. I do like the jacket idea which is great because I am flying up north from South Florida and I will need a jacket easily accessible when I land in up north but not necessarily here in the humidity.

Comment

I don't have a Smart Alec yet, but I also use similar straps on other bags for a jacket - it's especially nice if the jacket is damp and you don't want it inside your bag.

Comment

I leave my bungee cord on because of the flexibility to carry bulky / wet items as other forum members have mentioned above. I also imagined using it to carry camera tripods and tubes with drafting drawings or posters. I also envisioned using it as a place to hold over flow that were in bags (e.g. a Side Effect in the bungee or a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag or even the Smart Alec Upper Module Pocket). I have attached things above the bungee with no issue so I feel it is a no cost flexibility option.

I have personally used it to carry my jacket, winter gloves and also used it to carry an extension cord. Here is a picture with the extension cord:

I also took pictures using the bungee with a Yoga mat for another forum member:

Also, see this pic and link to forum member @trip putting shoes in the bungee:

Smart Alec with running shoes in bungee

Note that the earlier versions of the Smart Alec (as shown in the pictures above) have a reflective bungee cord which I found useful when walking at night. Though current versions use the glow wire or Guardian light options for nighttime visibility, you can probably find some reflective bungee out there to use if you want that additional functionality - or perhaps TB has some extra.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
            Last edited by tpnl; 11-02-2015, 09:23 AM.
            TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

I love the sneakers idea! Thanks for the pictures!

Comment

The bungee cord on the front of the Smart Alec is a huge part of the reason why I chose it as my main daily carry and travel bag. I don't use it often, but when I do nothing else would work. It's also a handy place to stash things that I want to keep track of when I'm not wearing the bag, like at work or when visiting family.

I've also added a pair of Gate Keeper straps to the top of the bag to extend the bungee's ability to cinch and carry. I actually ordered five of them, just in case I want to make a full webbing ladder up the bag, but typically just use two.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_O1S1315_1200.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	674.5 KB
ID:	297730

Comment

I have a SA too, recently acquired, and I did swap out the included black bungee cord for some reflective bungee cord I found on Amazon. It was pretty cheap, and I found it in a lovely dark blue that looks really nice with the aubergine ballistic. Apart from the usefulness of the bungee (I have also used it to hold jackets, and think it looks nice as part of the design to boot) the reflective cord is a good safety feature for those of us out walking/biking at night.

Comment

Working...
                  X