Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,741   Posts: 190,275   Members: 6,602   Active Members: 265
Welcome to our newest member, Cycw95.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cadet - with or without the Cache?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cadet - with or without the Cache?

Hi all

I'm planning on getting a Cadet, but I had a question first about the Cache. I have a 15" retina Macbook Pro that I'm going to put in the bag; would it be too loose by itself in the Cadet, without the Cache? I don't travel very much so the TSA trickery doesn't really appeal to me, and I'd prefer to save some money. But would the Macbook jangle around/be too unprotected in the bag without the Cache? There would probably also be a notebook/papers/book in the main compartment.

Thanks

Dear kctrev,

Welcome to the forum!

I would be hesitant to carry the laptop in the Cadet without the Cache for fear of sufficient protection for the laptop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -m

Comment

Originally posted by kctrev View Post
      Hi all

I'm planning on getting a Cadet, but I had a question first about the Cache. I have a 15" retina Macbook Pro that I'm going to put in the bag; would it be too loose by itself in the Cadet, without the Cache? I don't travel very much so the TSA trickery doesn't really appeal to me, and I'd prefer to save some money. But would the Macbook jangle around/be too unprotected in the bag without the Cache? There would probably also be a notebook/papers/book in the main compartment.

Thanks
      I don't have a Cadet, but based on my experience with the Caches, I think it is only necessary if you're carrying a laptop in a large bag and want to prevent it from moving about a lot (the rails function will help your machine stay in one place) and/or need the TSA feature.

Why not just get a non-TB laptop case? There are many cheaper and okay quality (not great, but acceptable) options with comparable padding. To share my experience, my now-dead 11" Acer travelled just fine in an old freebie Toshiba foam case. The Cadet is quite a narrow briefcase (I think?) so it seems to me that a cheap non-TB soft case may well do a decent job in a Cadet that's got other items in it too.
      Last edited by adalangdon; 11-07-2015, 02:02 AM.

Comment

I have a Cadet and a 15" MBP, and I think I wouldn't want to carry the MBP in it without some kind of a sleeve. The Cache is nice but obviously you could replace it with another slim case.

Comment

Working...
        X