Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,741   Posts: 190,275   Members: 6,602   Active Members: 265
Welcome to our newest member, Cycw95.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Co-Pilot O-ring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Co-Pilot O-ring question

The page for the Co-Pilot says that it has four O-rings. I found one in the main pocket, and one each in the two front pocket.s

Where is the fourth? (sorry if this is a silly question)

Originally posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    The page for the Co-Pilot says that it has four O-rings. I found one in the main pocket, and one each in the two front pocket.s

Where is the fourth? (sorry if this is a silly question)
    @ladyinblack1964, There's an O-ring in each of the three front compartments and the main compartment of the Co-Pilot, so I think you have missed the O-ring at the top of the water bottle pocket that is just to the right of the zipper.

HTH

moriond

Comment

bingo! Thanks, moriond!

Comment

Glad that helped, @ladyinblack1964. By the way, since there has been some discussion in different forum threads about why the Pilot does not have an O-ring at the top of it's water bottle pocket (similar to the design of the Co-Pilot), I thought I'd add Darcy's answer about this. (it shows up in the middle of the extremely long The New Pilot Available for Pre-Order in January 2014 thread, in response to @Trailhiker's post titled The Case of the Missing "O" Ring:

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
        Solved! Here's the deal: we thought the front left and right pockets on the Pilot would be even more useful if they were just a little roomier. To make that happen, we cut the mesh sides of the water bottle pocket at a slight slant so that they curve inward into the water bottle pocket. That worked great, but we also discovered that change made it so there wasn't room leftover for an o-ring in the water bottle pocket. This was one of those design and usability judgement calls, and after much consideration and even a little debate, we decided that the extra roominess in the front left and right pockets was of greater importance than the o-ring in the water bottle pocket.
        HTH

moriond

Comment

In the Copilot (at least, in the newest version), there are actually 6 o-rings total: 3 in the main compartment-- one on the center middle wall, and one above each of the open inner pockets. In addition, there is an o-ring in each of the outer zippered pockets.
          Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful. — Shaker Philosophy

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
            In the Copilot (at least, in the newest version), there are actually 6 o-rings total: 3 in the main compartment-- one on the center middle wall, and one above each of the open inner pockets. In addition, there is an o-ring in each of the outer zippered pockets.
            @Amy, You're correct, and I was originally looking for @taminca's post Co-Pilot surprise continues with its picture:
            Originally posted by taminca View Post
            I got a huge surprise Friday when I walked into the TB Store and saw an Aubergine Co-Pilot, hereafter known as THE FIND, as named by @Ilkyway. In packing THE FIND for a business trip tomorrow, I just discovered a second surprise. Check this out...

There are TWO additional O-rings in the main compartment, one each over the inside back pockets!!! That makes a total THREE O-rings in the main compartment. When did this happen? Was it announced on the site or Forum? Was I asleep?

My Nordic Co-Pilot only has the one O-ring in the main compartment and I've had to clip 3 or 4 key straps to that one ring. They get tangled quite a bit so I LOVE the additional O-rings. I checked the Co-Pilot webpage, and it reads "There are four total O-rings in the Co-Pilot" but there are SIX in mine! Awesome!
            I remembered that there was a change in the number of O-rings about the time the Aeronaut 30 debuted, and when they first re-offered co-Pilots in Aubergine, but I couldn't quickly find the thread, so I answered based on my own (older) Co-Pilots.

HTH

moriond

ETA: I love the way that the later posters in that thread casually hinted that @taminca's Nordic Co-Pilot, with only one O-ring in the main compartment, would clearly no longer be of use to her, and clamored in with offers to take it off her hands. There's a disadvantage to being an early adopter, since I can only track these revisions by memory of what I read in the forums, and not because I own the new bags (because, of course, the old bags don't wear out.). Also, I wasn't sure whether the source of @ladyinblack1964's co-pilot was a swap or re-homed older Co-Pilot (pre-July 2014), since I figured extra O-rings would be obvious. It does suggest that the Co-Pilot product page description should be updated, because it does currently state "There are four total O-rings in the Co-Pilot."
            Last edited by moriond; 11-10-2015, 12:54 PM.

Comment

I'm jealous! We have two Co-Pilots in the house with only one O-ring in the main compartment. I'm sure we can get by though
              Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

Comment

Mine is a rehomed CP. Not sure when the original owner bought it. But I don't see rings above the pockets.

Comment

Working...
                X