Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,492   Posts: 187,428   Members: 6,453   Active Members: 342
Welcome to our newest member, parisbandarq.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ID Bag Now or Wait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID Bag Now or Wait?

This forum has been awesome and helped me narrow down my choices to an ID Bag.

I was literally about to order one of the remaining ID bags this week and found a thread that said they were retiring the ID, with several new bags coming out "soon."

The ID Bag from what I can tell has had small upgrades here and there. Should I go ahead and order one when something potentially with a better feature set may come out soon? Does anyone know if a ton of new bags similar to the ID Bag in size and feature set are coming?

Thanks for any opinions.

Originally posted by K.E.P. View Post
    This forum has been awesome and helped me narrow down my choices to an ID Bag.

I was literally about to order one of the remaining ID bags this week and found a thread that said they were retiring the ID, with several new bags coming out "soon."

The ID Bag from what I can tell has had small upgrades here and there. Should I go ahead and order one when something potentially with a better feature set may come out soon? Does anyone know if a ton of new bags similar to the ID Bag in size and feature set are coming?

Thanks for any opinions.
    Regarding whether we know if the new bags include a bag with Id-like features, the answer is no. If you hang around here leading up to 30/11, you may get some hints from the forum since the TB staff and moderators (when they receive their bags-- they get the new releases ahead of time) as to what the bags are like, but that is about all.

Given that TB has a 60 day return period, you could order the Id, see if you like it, and hang on to it until the new bag comes out in 15 days' time. If the new releases include something that you might like better, you could always return the Id in tip-top condition if you're ambivalent about it. Or you might just decide that you like it so much that you want to forget about waiting for the new stuff. The Id is frankly not a massive seller the way some of the other bags are, so I don't think there's anything objectionable about getting one first, trying it out and adopting a "wait and see" approach.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 11-14-2015, 06:50 PM.

Comment

@K.E.P., You might call or send an email to customer support and ask them how many ID Messenger bags are left in stock, and in which colors. I'll just point you to my post to @Jeff A about the trend for new bags to be towards smaller bags. Frankly, I was scared to death that he would decide to wait, and then end up kicking himself because of missing out on the size bag he wanted, especially in the color combination he was considering. What tends to happen on the forums, is that when bags that are in shorter supply get discussed, especially when there are pictures posted, a lot of people who lurk on the forums, and were on the fence about buying, suddenly decide to make a purchase.

Originally posted by moriond View Post
      @Jeff A, I don't know whether this is a factor, but increasingly the trend for the newer bags has been to accommodate the smaller laptops and tablets that have become more commonly available now. For example, when people have asked about the new cross-body knitting bag that is supposed to debut, we've generally been told to expect that it's around the size of the Little Swift -- or, at least, that was part of the rationale given for retiring that bag in the first post of the (Bye) Little Swift (Hello in 2015) Cross-Body Knitting Bag thread. And we also get people who like the idea of the Daylight Briefcase and Pilot as minimalist carry bags, but who think it would be perfect if there were more room for their 15" laptops. So, my question to you would be, if none of the new bags are designed to accommodate a 15" laptop, how bummed out would you be that you lost the opportunity to get an Ego, especially knowing that you'd have the possibility of returning the Ego if there were a really cool new bag that would work for your 15" laptop at the debut and getting that instead, but that you'd likely not be able to get an Ego if you decided to wait and sit tight? I find that asking myself these kinds of questions helps a lot to clarify bag buying decisions and minimize regrets.

Of course, there's always the possibility of something new, great, and totally unanticipated showing up. And maybe your current backpack options for carrying your 15" laptop are all you need.
      If you think this is a bag you would like to order, I would go ahead and get this now, and exercise the ability to return (multiple) items within the 60-day period for a flat $10 UPS rate (if you're in the United States), that is taken off your credited refund amount. (I assume you might order a matching shoulder strap, and perhaps some organizer pouches). Customer service is really good about assisting you in the decision process, so I would call them for advice.

HTH

moriond

Comment

I should have taken your advice. Waited too long and now the ID Bag is retired. Any other similar bag/size recommendations now that ID Bag is gone?

I guess Cadet, empire builder, Makers's Bag and Pilot are my available options?

I still have to occasionally carry a MacBook Pro 15'', which is limiting my selection.
        Last edited by K.E.P.; 11-30-2015, 11:50 AM.

Comment

The Maker's Bag will be too tight for 15" MacBook Pro -- It's length is less than the Pilot, which is tight for holding a 15" MacBook Pro. The Cadet and the Founder's Briefcase would be possibilities. You can also try calling customer service to ask about the likelihood of someone returning an ID Bag.

The Egos and ID Bags sold out about a week ago.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Working...
          X