Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,492   Posts: 187,428   Members: 6,453   Active Members: 342
Welcome to our newest member, parisbandarq.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cache Hack Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cache Hack Question

I searched the forum and didn't see anything about my dilemma: My current cache in my S25 is a little longer than my laptop and makes it too long for my (proposed) Pilot.

While I lack the skills, my sister could cut an inch or two off the open end to remove the extra and solve all my problems.

Questions:
    • Has anyone cut a cache?
    • If so, did you leave it unfinished or attempt to recreate the edging?

Thanks!

If there is a size of Cache that will fit your laptop, you may want to see if a forum member may want to trade for yours before you modify yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -m

Comment

I am all set on a Pilot but it is useless to me if I can't get my behemoth laptop into it.

I have a Dell Latitude e6430 and the cache is a size 1 at 10.1" / 15.4" / 1.2" (interior dimensions).

Customer Service says the proper cache for my laptop is a 4Z but it is too big for the Pilot. The largest size of cache for the Pilot (6Z) is too small for my laptop.

The interior dimensions of the 6Z are 9.1" / 13" / 1.1" and my laptop is 9.49" / 13.86" / 1.27". I don't think I can squeeze my laptop into the 6Z...

Customer Service also said that the Pilot's opening is approximately 14.3" wide so I figured it would work if I took at least an inch off the cache I have.

Any ideas?

Comment

Have a look at this thread. There are pictures of people putting in a 15" MBP into the Pilot naked and with the 4Z cache (*correction - 15" MBP retina version of the cache and NOT the 4Z). It seems to fit - but it is tight. With your smaller laptop (13.86" vs the 14.1-14.3" for a 15" MBP), your fit may work out ok. The consensus has been over years to go with a Dyneema Pilot as it has more expansion / stretch than the Ballistic Fabric.

Pilot or Cadet?

I do not have any Caches to try out but my 13.2" x 9" Dell E1440 in a 13" Thule case fits fine in my ballistic Pilot.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Edit: Any interest in a Cadet? That should fit things very well.
        Edit 2: Reading the above thread link again, the poster is using a 15" MBP retina cache
        Last edited by tpnl; 11-26-2015, 05:48 PM.
        TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

I don't know how you'd take an inch or 2 off the cache, TBH. What's the plan, exactly? Are you going to cut off the flap, chop off a couple of inches, and then sew it back on, or...?

Comment

I had though to just cut down the shape; i.e. remove material from the edge and the flap at the same time. However, I am becoming discouraged by my entire plan. I'm beginning to think my ideal TB briefcase doesn't exist:
            • Dyneema exterior
            • Fits my laptop in a cache
            • Holds 1L water bottle
            • Holds all my other stuff (would be willing to lighten my carry)

I looked at the Cadet again and like it better than the EB (the EB is so serious-looking!) but it lacks good water bottle storage. The S25 has spoiled me! The thread you linked to is useful but the cache for the 15" MBP is actually smaller than the one for my laptop.

About the EB: It weighs 4lbs?! The S25 is 1.5lbs and the A45 is 3lb. I can't wrap my mind around a briefcase that starts out that heavy.

I'm not really considering the WF or Tri-star. Their designs are beautiful but they just seem more like luggage to me.

Perhaps I just need to slow down, get the A45 as planned, and see if I really dislike carrying it as a shoulder bag with my S25.

Sorry to be such a pain. I've been mulling this over so much without anyone to bounce it off of (got the bf to listen a little bit yesterday but he's not as fascinated by the whole process as I am).

Thanks!

Comment

Do you actually require a cache? I note that you travel a lot for work, but if somehow you're not making use of the TSA-friendly feature of that system, you could always custom make a laptop case. I'm guessing that is about as close as you can get to protection for a laptop that can be crammed into a Pilot, since that bag appears to check most or all the boxes. Places like Courierware make very good stuff (though I haven't tried their laptop case... my new machine thankfully fits into the same 6Z that I had before).

The Zephyr (a smaller version of the EB that has been retired) only looks just right on my 5'10" husband. Unless you're really, really big, I would not advise getting an EB.

Originally posted by lenalvsTB View Post
              I had though to just cut down the shape; i.e. remove material from the edge and the flap at the same time. However, I am becoming discouraged by my entire plan. I'm beginning to think my ideal TB briefcase doesn't exist:
              • Dyneema exterior
              • Fits my laptop in a cache
              • Holds 1L water bottle
              • Holds all my other stuff (would be willing to lighten my carry)

I looked at the Cadet again and like it better than the EB (the EB is so serious-looking!) but it lacks good water bottle storage. The S25 has spoiled me! The thread you linked to is useful but the cache for the 15" MBP is actually smaller than the one for my laptop.

About the EB: It weighs 4lbs?! The S25 is 1.5lbs and the A45 is 3lb. I can't wrap my mind around a briefcase that starts out that heavy.

I'm not really considering the WF or Tri-star. Their designs are beautiful but they just seem more like luggage to me.

Perhaps I just need to slow down, get the A45 as planned, and see if I really dislike carrying it as a shoulder bag with my S25.

Sorry to be such a pain. I've been mulling this over so much without anyone to bounce it off of (got the bf to listen a little bit yesterday but he's not as fascinated by the whole process as I am).

Thanks!
              Last edited by adalangdon; 11-26-2015, 10:00 AM.

Comment

This forum is such a wealth of knowledge and information. Customer Service had said that my laptop would most likely fit into the Pilot in a smaller sleeve but I wasn't thrilled with buying a generic made-in-china piece of cr*p to go into my beautiful TB bag.

Adalangdon to the rescue! You are correct: I never use the rails for a simple reason: I am an "opt-outer" so TSA grabs all my stuff off the belt and, if the laptop is attached to the bag, they inevitability make a big mess of things. I used to be pre-check but that's a long story.

Anyway, Courierware's bags are all made in the USA to order so that I can get a sleeve that is only minimally bigger than the laptop.

Now we are back in business. Pilot / A45 here we come!

I've resolved to restrict my accessories purchases to another time but I really really really want a Side Effect as an EDC when I'm at home...I think I need to watch another TB video now...I hope they aren't looking at stats from my ip address for the last several weeks. I've watched the same videos over and over and over...

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me over these multiple threads.

Comment

Whoa! Glad I could be of some help.

Unless Courierware standards have fallen, it should be an excellent laptop sleeve. I had one of their cafe bag equivalents several years ago and it was seriously overbuilt, albeit kind of old-fashioned. Could you post a pic of your sleeve in the Pilot if you do get one, please?

Originally posted by lenalvsTB View Post
                  This forum is such a wealth of knowledge and information. Customer Service had said that my laptop would most likely fit into the Pilot in a smaller sleeve but I wasn't thrilled with buying a generic made-in-china piece of cr*p to go into my beautiful TB bag.

Adalangdon to the rescue! You are correct: I never use the rails for a simple reason: I am an "opt-outer" so TSA grabs all my stuff off the belt and, if the laptop is attached to the bag, they inevitability make a big mess of things. I used to be pre-check but that's a long story.

Anyway, Courierware's bags are all made in the USA to order so that I can get a sleeve that is only minimally bigger than the laptop.

Now we are back in business. Pilot / A45 here we come!

I've resolved to restrict my accessories purchases to another time but I really really really want a Side Effect as an EDC when I'm at home...I think I need to watch another TB video now...I hope they aren't looking at stats from my ip address for the last several weeks. I've watched the same videos over and over and over...

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me over these multiple threads.

Comment

You can expect lots of happy pictures from me in a few weeks!

Comment

Working...
                    X