Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,528   Posts: 187,816   Members: 6,492   Active Members: 296
Welcome to our newest member, caw.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aeronaut 45 for 14 days ski trip and wedding trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aeronaut 45 for 14 days ski trip and wedding trip

Hi, I am a newbie of Tom Bihn's bags, but as I explained it to the TB'staff via email, I'm searching for a go-to carry-on bag.

It took me a while to process the how-to's, but after reading tons of reviews and watching hours of videos on the-it-which-shall-not-be-named-video-platform, I feel really excited about travelling with a carry-on bag only (I've never liked the good ol' suitcases). My wife calls me nuts when she sees how much time I spend looking on the Internet for just a bag. But we're clearly not speaking of just a bag.

I watched how people cram their Aeronaut with cubes full of clothes and miscellaneous stuff and I got convinced that I could make it.

I also came across a few challenges people threw at themselves to pack their life for a month of travel in that bag and it got me thinking : would I be able to get to every kind of vacations with this bag ? I guess the most challenging would be a skiing trip of 14 days so 12 days of skiing.

Let me tell you exactly what I need to bring.

I will travel by train, I already paid for my skibag (which will hold my two pairs of skis, ski sticks, camera tripod + back protection and helmet and it's really full this way !), and I am allowed to take 2 pieces of luggage with me. The first one will be my ski boots bag which will hold my two pairs of googles for sunny and snowy conditions, plus my camera with camera lens detached. In that way, they're really protected in the boots

So, in the Aeronaut should be :
    - snow shovel, probe, and my avalanche transceiver and my ski pack (empty for sure which is the exact size of the A45 : 555 x 355 mm) see picture below
    - 1 pair of ski pants
    - at least 2 pairs of ski socks
    - at least 2 sport thin tees (first layer)
    - 2 second layers for warmness during ski tours (quite thick)
    - 1 pair of pants to chill out at the apartment
    - 1 warm jacket or pullover for inside use
    - 4 pairs of socks
    - 6 pairs of boxers
    - 3 tees (or 2 plus 1 button down shirt)
    - toiletries, one-day lentils for 12 days of skis, sun screen and sun protector lipstick
    - travel towel
    - iPad, charger for iPad, charger for camera without cable, audio splitter
    - 50 mm camera lens (quite small - Pentax) (tripod goes with skis) - 2 memory cards, 2 batteries
    - 1 map
    - earbuds
    - 1 beanie, 1 neck protection (don't know the exact word in English)
    - 1 fat pair of ski gloves, 1 thin one and 1 pair of first layer gloves
    - wallet
    - small notebook plus pen
    - sun glasses
    - flip flops... if there any room left

I'll be wearing my ski vest + snow shoes, denim pants plus sweater during travelling plus beanie and phone on the train.

What do you think ? Would it fit ??? If manageable, I'd prefer the whole camera to be in the bag (iow : 1 body camera plus 2 lenses...)

Some might say the A30 should enough (really ???) but I have a wedding planned for march and I'll get a EC Garment Sleeve to keep it protected (not really confident about the results of the bundle methods and all...). So I think only the A45 might fit ???

Thank you very much to the people who will take time to read all this and might even answer me and may they excuse all the incorrect spelling and grammar...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	snow gear2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	457.1 KB
ID:	312024

ETA: Welcome to the forums!!

One more bit of information which might help people answer your question - how tall are you? Which is to say, how bulky will your clothes be? (Because at five feet tall, I can fit more of my clothes into any given bag than my husband who is 5'10".)

Based on your list, I should think the clothes will fit. I have no experience packing the ski equipment that you pictured (nice job labeling, by the way!!) so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in. Wondering though - since you said the ski pack is the same size as the A45 - can you put one inside the other, and then pack everything else inside? (So kind of like a double-walled bag, then you just unpack at your destination to use the ski pack?)
    Last edited by haraya; 12-02-2015, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by haraya View Post
      One more bit of information which might help people answer your question - how tall are you? Which is to say, how bulky will your clothes be? (Because at five feet tall, I can fit more of my clothes into any given bag than my husband who is 5'10".)
      It looks like I'm the equal size of your husband, as I'm 5'10" too.

Originally posted by haraya View Post
      Wondering though - since you said the ski pack is the same size as the A45 - can you put one inside the other, and then pack everything else inside? (So kind of like a double-walled bag, then you just unpack at your destination to use the ski pack?)
      The length and width of the ski bag are the same as the A45, but it's not the same height. I was thinking about laying it at the bottom of the A45 with the walls up or rolling it inside one of the compartments.

Comment

Working...
      X