Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,822   Posts: 191,271   Members: 6,717   Active Members: 268
Welcome to our newest member, dougwierzba2.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meeting the Aeronaut 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• haraya
    replied
    Thanks maverick, that was a very comprehensive packing video!! Nice to see how the A30 still has room even after you've loaded it up. For reference, could you remind me how tall you are? (Taller than me, I've no doubt... )

The one thing I didn't see you pack was shoes? You did say this was a test pack for India so I would assume even in the winter you're not going to need heavy footwear beyond what you might wear onto the plane. But even so, the A30 was not stuffed to the gills so you could conceivably put in a minimalist pair of sneakers, and/or flip-flops or Teva-style sandals - would you say that's true?

Also, what personal item (if any) do you plan to take along with your A30? I've a hankering for a Maker's Bag, but I think that will have to wait till I've saved up some more pennies...

Thanks again for the overview!! I must plan a trip now so that I can pack my A30!!

Leave a comment:

• Pokilani
    replied
    I have this color combo too--it's so gorgeous!

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    Dear everyone at TOM BIHN,

I love my Aeronaut 30!!!

love,
    -m

P.S. I hope you won't mind terribly - I know I said there would be pictures, but I filmed the packing test instead...

Last edited by maverick; 12-09-2015, 03:12 PM. Reason: added video

Leave a comment:

• sarah_atx
    replied
    He won't carry more than one bag, so no personal item. With a book or two he usually wants to bring, it seems like it would be pretty tight in the A30. Sometimes I bring a tote bag for personal stuff when we travel, but we both try to keep it in one bag just because it's easier. This is going to be a big step up from using our old college backpacks!

Leave a comment:

• marytattoo
    replied
    Originally posted by sarah_atx View Post
    Thanks! That's what I was thinking, it would still be scrunch-able. I was surprised how much room just one pair of his pants took when I test packed.
    What would he be using as his personal item? A Pilot would hold some of his stuff...

Leave a comment:

• sarah_atx
    replied
    Thanks! That's what I was thinking, it would still be scrunch-able. I was surprised how much room just one pair of his pants took when I test packed.

Leave a comment:

• bchaplin
    replied
    I would get him the Aeronaut 45. These are soft bags, and they scrunch if packed lightly. I don't think the airlines stretch out the bags to measure them; it's more a matter of having them fit into a sizer. So he would have the option of packing lightly for trips on which this is a consideration. Maybe choose the dyneema version, because it holds its shape less and should fit easier?

I transitioned over to the A30 from the A45 due to weight considerations, as the larger bag is awkward for me to carry. But someone who is 6 feet tall should not have that problem.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 12-09-2015, 07:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sarah_atx
    replied
    I'm interested to see how the test packing went too!

I received my first order last night Two A30s, black and steel, both with Island interior. I was sort of trying to decide between the colors myself but my husband does need a new travel bag too so we might keep both. I was surprised how small it looked initially too, especially scrunched down in the box.

I did a very quick test pack for both of us and his size 12 shoes (sort of boat shoes, not stiff material) did fit in one end pocket. I didn't get a jacket in for him which might be a problem for winter trips. But I also didn't use packing cubes or use all the corner spaces, inside shoes, etc. I'm still wondering if the A45 would make more sense for him since he's close to 6' tall. My reason not to exchange for an A45 is that we are planning to fly on some smaller European airlines and don't want to have to pay for extra bags. Does anyone know how strict they really are? We don't have a set itinerary yet. But then again, if he can't fit everything he needs, it doesn't make much sense to keep the second A30.

I got the 1" waist strap for my bag and wasn't expecting much, but it was amazing! It seemed to me it really took the weight off my shoulders. I had the shoulder straps loose and cinched the waist strap tight and it held a lot of the weight. Not a great look but if we had to walk a mile or two it would make a huge difference. That was a nice surprise!

Leave a comment:

• haraya
    replied
    Yes, do tell, Maverick!! Are you keeping the Black/Island, or the Dyneema/Island?? Or both?

Leave a comment:

• Shiva
    replied
    Aeronaut 30

HI Maverick

I have had mixed feelings about the A30. It is perfect in some ways--I just can't handle the A45 at all; but it is a challenge for me.There was an extensive and very helpful thread on packing it on the Registered Members forum when I first got it; and lots of folks helped me out.
    I would really be curious to see your pictures and what you come up with. Your pictures in the past were what convinced me to get the Synapse 19 and I have loved that one!

Shiva

Originally posted by maverick View Post
    UPS just arrived with my TOM BIHN package! I had ordered a couple of Aeronaut 30's (Black/Island and Black Dyneema/Island), well, because I couldn't make up my mind and wanted to see them in person to help finalize the decision.

I'm blown away by how tiny they look!

After my last trip to India, I decided that I shouldn't be carrying that much weight.

I also have the Tri-Star, which I totally love. But Island called out to me, and I thought I'd get an Aeronaut 30.

But now I'm wondering whether I have the discipline to pack in the Aeronaut 30.

I know that others have moved from the Aeronaut 45 to the Aeronaut 30. I need to test pack the Aeronaut 30 as if I'm going to India and see what I end up putting inside...

Leave a comment:

• jhnmason
    replied
    Is your intention to try to one bag your trips? If so, I'd consider an A45 as perhaps being a better option. If you intend on usually having a second, personal item sized bag, then the A30 would definitely be worth making it work. I do pack a day bag, a Medium Cafe Bag, within the A45 when traveling, but considering I'll only bring one real piece of 'luggage,' so to say, I figured and am glad I have the bigger size. For what it is worth, my wife is 5'2 and fairly petite but she found the A45 comfortable to wear and carry while fully packed for a recent trip.

Leave a comment:

• djjr
    replied
    I've used my A30 for trips of up to 2 weeks and every time I pack, I'm amazed by what I can squeeze in. I am lucky in that I am only 5ft5 and wear a size 6 with size 38 (eu size) shoes. Packing a capsule wardrobe (usually black, white and blues/greys) and purchasing quality merino travel clothes really helped me to fine tune things. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• haraya
    replied
    My A30 arrived today too!! I was surprised it came in a regular TB box, was thinking it would be a bigger package. That TARDIS effect again... Can't wait to give it a whirl (although part of me thinks I should practice my self-restraint muscles and hold off till Christmas, lol). I usually use my Smart Alec for overnight or weekend trips, but don't love the top-down format when I'm living out of the bag for more than a day or two. Hoping that this will solve that tiny issue!

Also interested in seeing what it's like as a workout bag... sometimes when it's yucky out I'm not in love with toting my gear in a Shop Bag. So the duffle format should be a nice option.

It's just so pretty!! <3 <3 <3

Leave a comment:

• bchaplin
    replied
    That was my thought when I first saw mine! (It looked so tiny). However, I survived a two week trip with it (and one Pilot as a personal item). In my mind the tradeoff in weight is worth the smaller size, and I even went with a further weight reduction by acquiring a dyneema A30 which I have yet to put through its paces, but surely it will be noticeably lighter.

Good luck, @maverick. Looking forward to seeing what you think of it.

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    Yes, there will be pictures!

I'll test pack tonight!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X