Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,683   Members: 6,662   Active Members: 270
Welcome to our newest member, lesleypelka.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EDC Bag for My Wife - Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDC Bag for My Wife - Help Please

My wife is looking for a new bag. We currently have two S19s and a Brain Bag, but the S19 is too small and the BB too big. She will be carrying work clothes (she works out in the morning at work), sundries, lunch bag, iPad Air, purse, umbrella, water bottle, and a few odds and ends. We are contemplating 3 bags: Smart Alec, S25, and Western Flyer. Sometimes she has to bring clothes that must be folded, like a suit. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel A45, Black Dyneema/Wasabi A30, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema DLBC and DLBP, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes.

Originally posted by Tizi View Post
    My wife is looking for a new bag. We currently have two S19s and a Brain Bag, but the S19 is too small and the BB too big. She will be carrying work clothes (she works out in the morning at work), sundries, lunch bag, iPad Air, purse, umbrella, water bottle, and a few odds and ends. We are contemplating 3 bags: Smart Alec, S25, and Western Flyer. Sometimes she has to bring clothes that must be folded, like a suit. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    My suggestion would be the SA with packing cubes for her work clothes. She can use an ipad case to protect her device. I also use a PCSB to organize/corrall books in my Synapses. I think the open area in the SA would be a better fit for her good clothes because the Synapse 25 would maybe be a tighter fit. I'd also suggest a Laundry Stuff Sack for her sweaty clothes after her workout.

Comment

I second the SA.

I actually just -downsized- from it as an EDC because I stopped needing to lug a computer with me. It's cavern of an interior will be the most flexible for what she needs.

Comment

I third the SA, just b/c it is so flexible. It can clothes flat like with an Eagle Creek packing folder, or in bulk in s stuff sack at the bottom (or top!) of the bag.

The attached picture has a full size Eagle Creek Packing cube in the SA.
        Attached Files

Comment

I will fourth the SA. It was my first thought when you first posted but I thought I'd let the more experienced chime in. The SA held everything i needed for a whole week and then with the bungee shrinks down for carrying a smaller load. It was the first TB bag that I bought and I was so thrilled with it that I switched to all TB for my travels. I'm partial to it in Dyneema because I like the way it looks when it isn't fully packed.

Comment

Another SA vote here. It's just such a versatile bag, and also makes a great travel bag.
            Eat well, travel often.

Comment

I would also recommend the Smart Alec. My daily carry is nearly the same and the SA handles these items perfectly.

Comment

We are leaning towards the SA, now materials: Dyneema or Ballistic?
                Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel A45, Black Dyneema/Wasabi A30, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema DLBC and DLBP, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes.

Comment

Ballistic stands up better if the SA is half-full, but is slightly heavier than the Dyneema version. Ballistic also can have the two-tone look (if you go for a colorway other than black), where the Dyneema version is the same material all throughout.

Comment

Mine is Dyneema and I love the versatility of being able to squeeze that last item in there as the fabric gives a wee bit more. Also, I'm a Dyneema whore so I wouldn't be caught with a Ballistic Bihn.

Comment

I'll vote for S25. In response to previous post about packing cube, my s25 swallows an eagle creek full size cube, plus a half and a quarter cube just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the responses. We are going to go Dyneema!

Comment

We decided to try our A30 in Dyneema this week. She used it today and loves the bag and being able to lay it flat to get stuff out of it. Neither the SA or S25 can lay flat. I am wondering if the WF might be better?

Comment

Originally posted by Tizi View Post
                            We decided to try our A30 in Dyneema this week. She used it today and loves the bag and being able to lay it flat to get stuff out of it. Neither the SA or S25 can lay flat. I am wondering if the WF might be better?
                            It depends on the capacity you need. The packing cube backpack for Tri-Star/Western Flyer (which is slightly larger than the large packing cube for Western Flyer) can fit into the Smart Alec. You can also put in a medium Eagle Creek Folder into those packing cubes, or directly into the Smart Alec, but they'd be carried vertically against the back wall of the bag, on the side opposite the backpack straps. One advantage of the Smart Alec is the amount of space in the main compartment volume for other items (e.g., bulky things like shoes, or irregularly sized lunch containers. But you do have to provide the separate organization inside that backpack.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Well, thanks for all of the replies. My wife borrowed my A30 and loves it. She has been using it as described above and has had many compliments on it too. Picked her up one in Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet today at the store.

Tom himself helped me! I enjoyed talking to him and seeing the passion he has for his people and company. He recommended the purple pulls, thanks Tom! Bye the way the remodel looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X