Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,814   Posts: 191,173   Members: 6,704   Active Members: 261
Welcome to our newest member, chrisdc.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2-3 large notebooks and pens - which SA Modular Pocket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2-3 large notebooks and pens - which SA Modular Pocket?

Howdy fine folks! I'm proudly carrying a Smart Alec around as my daily carry and I love it. I want to add a modular pocket to carry 2-3 moleskine type notebooks and a few pens. It would be great if there was a little more room rather than cutting it too tight. Which of the pockets will fit this gear?

The website really isn't helpful here. I feel like there were better pictures in the past. Thanks in advance everyone :-)

The dimensions are in the specs section right side of each product page. Not sure what size "large" is on your moleskines

Upper Pocket Dimensions: 8.7" x 7.3" x 2" / 220 x 185 x 50 mm
    Lower Pocket Dimensions: 10.8" x 6.7" x 3" / 275 x 170 x 75 mm

Comment

Originally posted by averon View Post
      Howdy fine folks! I'm proudly carrying a Smart Alec around as my daily carry and I love it. I want to add a modular pocket to carry 2-3 moleskine type notebooks and a few pens. It would be great if there was a little more room rather than cutting it too tight. Which of the pockets will fit this gear?

The website really isn't helpful here. I feel like there were better pictures in the past. Thanks in advance everyone :-)
      If you're asking about fitting the Classic, large, hard cover Moleskine notebooks (Product Dimensions: 5.2 x 1 x 8.2 inches) and pens into one of the Smart Alec Modular pocket, then the answer is the Lower Modular Pocket can take three of these size notebooks, and give you room to hook pens onto the edge of the Dyneema pocket at the back. I would personally find this to be an uncomfortable load carry, since that's at least and extra 2.5 pounds hanging off the side away from where the backpack straps are located (paper is heavy in a filled up pocket). But if you've completely filled up the rest of the Smart Alec and are happy with this, it will all work. The Dyneema pouch at the back is about 5" x 5", which is a convenient length for pens (or inserting a passport or my iPhone 5). The top of the Notebooks are just about at the level of the zipper.

I tried this with two Moleskines and a Leuchtturm1917 notebook (that is slightly wider and a very small amount thicker than a Moleskine large) -- all hard cover, and this fit. The Lower Modular Pocket lid and pocket has an elliptical cross section. I don't have easy pictures, but you can take a look at my post that shows how the FoxL Bluetooth feature scales to the lid of the Smart Alec LMP. (I was giving comparison size shots to items like the Side Effect and pencil pouches, and included the SA LMP because I knew Ilkyway had a Smart Alec, and it fit nicely in the LMP lid)

HTH

moriond

ETA: I guess the weight of dense paper in the LMP is not more than water bottles -- but I'm 5'3.5" tall and small build.
      Last edited by moriond; 12-12-2015, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Thank you! I am indeed talking about the standard 'large' sized Moleskine notebooks. I apologise for taking so long to reply, I was outside of the country and couldn't access the internet.

I'm hoping to carry two moleskine style notebooks, an iPad mini and a few pens. I'm already carrying a SA, so it makes sense for me, and I'm going to pick up a LMP. The goal being to keep all my daily work supplies in the detachable LMP.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
        X