Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,822   Posts: 191,273   Members: 6,719   Active Members: 269
Welcome to our newest member, tinacap77.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pilot vs. Synapse 25 - which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm on a business trip where my current "messenger" style bag just does not cut it anymore. I'm looking for something semi-professional that can hold the following;

4.7 lb. laptop (not everyone has an Apple computer for work
    Padfolio that's about a 1 lb.
    iPad Air w/logitech keyboard
    Anker battery charger 32000 aMhs (or however its spelled)
    Cables
    A few pens
    Bottle of water

I keep going back and forth between the 2. Pilot looks much more professional but the Synapse will carry easier thru the airports as the laptop also works part time as paper weight during tornado season. Any advice would be appreciated.

That is a tough decision, but I opted for the S25 and have never looked back. It seems that backpacks are becoming the norm in a business environment, and as far as style, the S25 looks great with its clean lines and not having any straps etc... that make it look out of place.

I don't have that large of a laptop, but do get my 13" Macbook, iPad, Anker Charger (smaller one), Cables, Water, clothes, etc... in mine for trips all the time.

Either one will be great, but thats my experience with the S25. By the way, once you buy it don't forget to "accessorize" it with some of the cool stuff designed just for these awesome bags. An innocent purchase quickly turns into an addiction.

Comment

I don't have a Pilot, but I do have an S25, which would swallow your stuff with tons of space left over. To me, that list seems like a lot of weight for a one-shoulder bag. While I do think the Pilot looks more professional, the S25 in black would still meet the "semi-professional" standard IMHO. But you know your work environment better.

Comment

I think I can fit 3 or more Pilots inside the S25 so they are sort of tough to compare directly?

Pilot looks like a Briefcase because it is a Briefcase.

Also my 17" Macbook weighs about 5 lbs so the weight does not answer the question of will the computer fit in a Pilot in the first place,I imagine you think it will but……?

And lastly you sort of imply that a Messenger bag is not right for your needs but offer no reason at all?
        I can not imagine how a big enough messenger would not be ideal for you too?

Inquiring minds want to know so we can help.

Comment

The major reason why the messenger bag doesn't work is the weight distribution on the shoulder. Looking thru all the options on the TB website, the Pilot appeals to me due to its "professional" appearance while the Synapse appeals to me due to the better weight distribution. With everything that I have in the bag for this current trip, I'd estimate the weight being 10-12 lbs. While this isn't too bad on the shoulder from hotel room to rental car, strolling around airports waiting for the connecting flight is where the weight become an true annoyance.

Comment

I have both bags and have used both for work. I prefer the S25 (mine is Black/Iberian), and have also noticed that many professionals now carry them. I spend lots of time in hospital settings, and have even seen executives carry backpacks now. It's just waaaay more comfortable, especially when weighed down with stuff. For either bag, the Cache with Rails is a must. It makes getting through airport security a breeze. And yes, the streamlined looks of the S25 help it blend in much more than the typical backpack with all its straps and water bottle pockets. Even when going into a very professional setting, no one has given my bag a second look.
            Eat well, travel often.

Comment

Another vote for the mighty S25! Mine is black cordura/wasabi and easily fits into a business environment. I'm currently carrying an Ego for EDC/work because I wanted to switch it up but I used my S25 for almost 3 years of constant business use. It's an excellent bag!!!
              Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

Comment

That's a lot of weight to carry on your shoulder!
                When I go on long business trips (week or more, especially overseas), I've started traveling with a backpack for the flight, but then use a briefcase on a day-to-day basis while I'm there. Either I carry both, or pack the Pilot in my suitcase.
                ----
                All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                Edmund Burke

Comment

I also only have a S25, but I do have a heavy laptop for work, that is to big for any cache.
                  My company provides backpacks for the employees to transport the laptop among other stuff, but the S25 swallows everything better and looks better in my opinion.

But, if I had to go through airport security, it wouldn't be that easy without a Cache, I think. It might depend on what else you have in the main compartment.

Comment

I also agree the Pilot looks a bit more professional. However, most managers and directors at my company carry backpacks now. It seems smarter to take care of your back!

Comment

Originally posted by Yosemite2015 View Post
                      The major reason why the messenger bag doesn't work is the weight distribution on the shoulder. Looking thru all the options on the TB website, the Pilot appeals to me due to its "professional" appearance while the Synapse appeals to me due to the better weight distribution. With everything that I have in the bag for this current trip, I'd estimate the weight being 10-12 lbs. While this isn't too bad on the shoulder from hotel room to rental car, strolling around airports waiting for the connecting flight is where the weight become an true annoyance.
                      Thanks for the extra info,it rely does make it easier to offer suggestions.

Clearly we are slipping here as the right answer is that you will end up getting both bags if you start down this road!?!

I know what you mean about the weight being a bigger deal the longer you need to carry it,I used to carry the Super Ego mainly when lugging my 19"MBP but it just got to be too much if waiting or running around in an Airport for any time so I now mainly carry a BackPack too..
                      I just traded my Synapse 19 for a 25 too and I have little problem getting the 17" MBP in an older Zipping Brain Cell in there along with a lot of other stuff and I will see soon if that carries well for me but I am very hopeful that it will.

I also just stick a Pilot into the S25 and it does go right in there so if the computer yopu have will fit into the Pilot the Pilot should also fit not the S25! Seems like one solution even if more expensive to have your cake and eat it too as they say?

If you want a one bag solution though the S25 just makes the most sense to me.

Rather have the room and not need it than need the room and not have it AND save the back pain at the same time.

I see no problem with the Black S25 in any setting and I am in Board Rooms and pretty formal setting a lot too.
                      A lot of the time I can't even see the S25 right in front of me as the Black is so dark it just sort of vanishes I am noticing.

Comment

Whatever messenger bag you get, make sure you have an Absolute strap for it. It makes all the difference.

My last laptop was about that weight, and the charger itself was at least another pound. Really not fun on one shoulder. IMO the S19 fits a lot more than you would think and looks more professional somehow than an S25. I have a black S19 that I take sometimes, although even the slickest-looking backpack is still a backpack. I'm always the youngest in the room at work and usually the only woman, so I kind of have to stick to briefcases. A Pilot really holds a ton. I usually take a Pilot with Absolute strap and it fits my laptop, charger, water bottle, battery packs, ipad, documents, Kindle (the little black and white one), wallet, keys, work ID etc. I sometimes also cram a small knitting project in there but that makes things pretty squishy.

Comment

A Pilot and a Synapse 25 are really different sizes-- I own both a Pilot and a Synapse 19. The Pilot holds an HP laptop (barely) in a 6z cache, my iPad, phones, wallet, keys, phone and computer charger, mouse, and notebook, along with a few small Tom Bihn pouches-- this fills it to capacity. I could maybe squeeze something else in, but it gets tight. The 19 holds all of that and a full 3D organizer pouch with room to spare. The 6z vertical cache also seems to fit my laptop better.

Sometimes work travel means I pick up items along the way- they fit in the Synapse 19, but using the Pilot means something(s) have to move into my other carryon. I could probably use a slightly larger briefcase-type bag, but the Empire Builder seems like overkill.
                          TB Stuff: Cadet (steel/iberian), Pilot (verde/steel), Synapse 19 (Black/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (New Nordic/NW Sky), Swift (Aubergine/NW Sky), Makers Bag (Black/Steel), Aeronaut 30 (Black/Zest), Aeronaut 45 (Black/Ultraviolet).

Comment

Is your job client-facing? If so, I'd recommend the Pilot. (Unless you do client meetings that are pretty informal, that is.) The S25 otherwise for many of the reasons stated above.

From my POV-- backpacks (smart-looking ones like the S19/S25) are increasingly common work EDC even in the legal industry, but solicitors will still bust out that suitcase when meeting clients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X