Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,767   Posts: 190,597   Members: 6,651   Active Members: 259
Welcome to our newest member, learn2route.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Padded pouch and external HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Padded pouch and external HD

Happy New Year! Has anyone tried to put a external hard drive in a padded pouch? Wondering if a small or medium would hold my 1TB WD Passport Ultra external drive.

I store a Seagate GoFlex, which is 3+" x 5", in a small padded pouch (5" x 7"). I have to unhook the USB cable from the drive and store that on top of the drive in the pouch. I don't travel with this, just keep it in my desk drawer when not using it. Works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman157 View Post
      Happy New Year! Has anyone tried to put a external hard drive in a padded pouch? Wondering if a small or medium would hold my 1TB WD Passport Ultra external drive.
      For most current, thin, laptop format external hard drives, the Small Padded Organizer pouch will work. I looked up the specs of the Western Digital Passport Ultra, and found this image:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	wdsfMP_UltraMetal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	298083

Here's a picture with the G-Drive hard drive, which is longer than the WD Ultra dimensions given above (5" long vs. 4.33"), and the same width:

Name:	IMG_2929.JPG
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	298077
      That's a G-Drive Mini hard drive lying on top of the small padded pouch in the bottom left, and above it , a similar sized hard drive is being slipped into the small padded pouch. The medium size padded pouch is the size of two small padded pouches, and is shown to the right.

Name:	IMG_2930.JPG
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	298078
      If I needed to use a larger pouch, I'd probably opt for the one designed for the Mac SuperDrive, although I don't see it currently listed in the drop down menu for the Padded Pouch product page. However, this picture shows the small padded pouch, zipped up and containing one of the drives shown above. To the upper right is the SuperDrive padded pouch with the old style G-Drive mini on top. (The mini had additional external supporting structure that made it slightly larger than the current hard drives.

I could fit a hard drive roughly 1.5 times as thick (maybe up to about 0.75" thick, with the same length and width of 5" x 4.15") as the one I showed into the small padded pouch.

Alternatively, you can follow @AVService's suggestion, and just wrap your drives in bubblewrap that is taped closed.

HTH

moriond
      Last edited by moriond; 01-01-2016, 06:55 PM.

Comment

That's exactly what I use my small padded pouch for. It fits the WD MyPassport drive just perfectly, and still has room for the stock USB cable in there along with it. The TomBihn pouch provides way more padding and protection than the WD case, and I love being able to clip it into the bag I'm carrying for more security... and to limit its ability to "float" around the bag.
        See the picture below: this is a 1TB WD MyPassport drive peeking out of a size Small Padded Pouch. Still room for the cable on top, especially if you position the cable's ends in the open space.
        Hope that helps!
        Chuck

Name:	2016-01-02 09.25.38-SNAG-.jpg
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	298081
        Synapse 25; Tri-Star w/FS; Aeronaut 45; Pilot; Small/Med Cafe Bags w/FS; Snake Charmers; Travel Trays; DLBC; DLBP; Side Effect; Side Kick; Empire Builder; Parental Unit
        (Caches; Stuff Sacks; Packing, Mesh & Clear Cubes; Passport & Organizer Pouches)
        -------------------------------------------------
        Proud to display "Tom Bihn -- Made in USA" no matter where I travel in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by AsiaChuck View Post
          That's exactly what I use my small padded pouch for. It fits the WD MyPassport drive just perfectly, and still has room for the stock USB cable in there along with it. The TomBihn pouch provides way more padding and protection than the WD case, and I love being able to clip it into the bag I'm carrying for more security... and to limit its ability to "float" around the bag.
          See the picture below: this is a 1TB WD MyPassport drive peeking out of a size Small Padded Pouch. Still room for the cable on top, especially if you position the cable's ends in the open space.
          Hope that helps!
          Chuck
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]14285[/ATTACH]
          YES! This is exactly what I was looking for! That solves it. Thank you very much!!

Comment

Working...
          X