Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,827   Posts: 191,318   Members: 6,701   Active Members: 267
Welcome to our newest member, StatsChick.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parental Unit setup shots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parental Unit setup shots?

Hey everyone. I'm a newbie to the forums, but also a bag geek...

Looking at picking up the Parental Unit soon. I've been reading a lot of reviews on it, and it seems fantastic...

I'm wondering how you all set it up (for those that own it)? Would anyone care to post a quick shot of their PU setup?

Thanks in advance!
    Andrew

Originally posted by agagliardo View Post
    Hey everyone. I'm a newbie to the forums, but also a bag geek...

Looking at picking up the Parental Unit soon. I've been reading a lot of reviews on it, and it seems fantastic...

I'm wondering how you all set it up (for those that own it)? Would anyone care to post a quick shot of their PU setup?

Thanks in advance!
    Andrew
    Welcome to the forums, Andrew (@agagliardo}

I'll point you to a few threads, but it would be helpful to know how you're considering using this bag. There have been a whole slew of different usage profiles (camera bags, knitting bags, gym bags, for carrying laptops, etc.) and it's difficult to simultaneously point at everything.

Here are some threads to get you started:

Hope this helps

moriond

ETA: The Parental Unit was released in 400d Dyneema versions about 2 months ago. If you're interested in comparisons of the Dyneema an Ballistic Nylon versions, check @adalangdon's Dyneema PU thread, which also contains links to some great pictures @Bijouxandbeads postedin the Your Photos are Needed thread. There's also been some discussion about whether the Dyneema versions of the Parental Unit can fit more in.
    Last edited by moriond; 03-31-2016, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction!

Comment

Hi, I hope no one minds bringing this thread back to life, and I hope it is seen and responded to... I am thinking about ordering a parental unit (as I have been for ages as still searching for the perfect EDC). As background, I am using a swift which I love for the cavernous stuff-it-full or carry-empty space, but really don't like the lack of cross-body strap.

I was put off the PU as I felt it may be too restrictive in pockets for carrying larger items - a book, jumper, my lunch (in a travel tray). However having looked at all the above links (thank you to the amazing TB encyclopedial Moriond!) I'm realising it carries more in its centre than I had realised. The other concern was lack of a handle, which sounds ok based on what others have said.

So questions are (and mainly aimed at people who don't use it as a nappy bag):
        1) what do you use the triangle clip for?
        2) is the strap changeable for an absolute strap? which strap do you prefer?
        3) how big is the centre space eg could a travel tray that is full and pulled closed fit in it?
        4) do you always zip it when walking around? Could it be carried open (centre or front) or would this feel too open? I'm not talking about walking around a bustling market known for pick-pockets, just everyday running around doing errands.

I look forward to any advice (enabling) that is provided!

Comment

I'd also love to see (or be pointed towards) photos of people carrying the PU. There are some on the TB website but as these are 'action shots', it is harder to see how it actually looks. I can't find just standing there types of shots like with the aeronauts and other bags.

Comment

I am mostly a backpack person but I had a small Q-kid at the triangle and for short periods (to get them out of my hand till I could close the doors) my carkeys.

The strap is changable but not as quickly as on a say Pilot. You have to thread the webbing theough the buckles. I have no prefference.

3. very much depends on what you put into the outer pockets.

4. I always zipped mine shut but you would not have to.

There is somewhere a shot where I carry the bag. Not sure at all where I had put it.
            If I can find it I'll link it.

Ilkyway

Sent from my phone
            “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

Originally posted by Kirri View Post
              Hi,
              I don't have a PU myself so I can't answer your other questions. However, it looks like the PU has been updated to now have a clip on strap like the Co-Pilots etc which means it will be easier to change straps.

I used to think that the Absolute strap was better for heavier loads since it has shock absorbency built in. However, I've recently begun to use my Standard straps more.

I find that, with the Standard Strap, I can easily move the bag around (the strap slides easily through the shoulder pad) and change how it sits on my shoulder ..... meaning I can vary the pressure points and rest tired muscles. The Absolute strap is quite grippy, so moving it means I have to actually lift it from my shoulder to reposition it rather than just sliding it around.

Comment

I had a PU for a few days before returning it. It is a beautiful bag, but my issue was that the zipper on the main compartment does not open up all the way. This design feature is great if you are going to leave the bag open and might be leaning over frequently to help your kiddos with something, and you would prefer all your stuff not fall out! But, it just felt restrictive and fiddly (is that a word?!) to me, to have to angle things in and out of the opening. That compartment can hold a lot of stuff, but really works best for many smaller items, rather than larger--I had to wedge in my hardback novel, for example. It fit fine once it got in there, but the zipper opening is tight. If you carry lots of smaller things, though, it is great and super organized. I liked the inner flap pockets that you could snap together or easily tuck out of the way as needed. YMMV! Good luck in your decision. Consider the Makers Bag. It is great--can do big things easily, carries well even if only partially stuffed, large enough for a 13" computer if needed, lots of pockets for pens/small bits, top grab handle, can easily sneak my hand under the closed flap for grabbing my phone as needed, but won't dump, can shoulder or cross-body carry with ease.

Comment

http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vid...al-unit-4.html

Do the pics on that page help?

Some search tips: I often have more luck searching within Google and Google images than I do searching within the TB site. Also, when the product is launched you get a Lot of great pics and discussions (just like what is happening now with the new products and colors)
                  What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

Comment

Hi, I hope no one minds bringing this thread back to life, and I hope it is seen and responded to... I am thinking about ordering a parental unit (as I have been for ages as still searching for the perfect EDC). As background, I am using a swift which I love for the cavernous stuff-it-full or carry-empty space, but really don't like the lack of cross-body strap.

I was put off the PU as I felt it may be too restrictive in pockets for carrying larger items - a book, jumper, my lunch (in a travel tray). However having looked at all the above links (thank you to the amazing TB encyclopedial Moriond!) I'm realising it carries more in its centre than I had realised. The other concern was lack of a handle, which sounds ok based on what others have said.

So questions are (and mainly aimed at people who don't use it as a nappy bag):
                    3) how big is the centre space eg could a travel tray that is full and pulled closed fit in it?
                    4) do you always zip it when walking around? Could it be carried open (centre or front) or would this feel too open? I'm not talking about walking around a bustling market known for pick-pockets, just everyday running around doing errands.

I look forward to any advice (enabling) that is provided!
                    I can post something on the weekend, but maybe you can provide some dimensions of your EDC items. I use the PU a fair bit (I have both ballistic and dyneema versions) and find it quite a finicky bag in terms of what it can hold, though the dyneema version is far more forgiving. How big is the book? Is your jumper the fluffy or thin kind? Etc. You do need a packing strategy if your items are a borderline fit.

Comment

Originally posted by ceepee View Post
                      I don't have a PU myself so I can't answer your other questions. However, it looks like the PU has been updated to now have a clip on strap like the Co-Pilots etc which means it will be easier to change straps.

I used to think that the Absolute strap was better for heavier loads since it has shock absorbency built in. However, I've recently begun to use my Standard straps more.

I find that, with the Standard Strap, I can easily move the bag around (the strap slides easily through the shoulder pad) and change how it sits on my shoulder ..... meaning I can vary the pressure points and rest tired muscles. The Absolute strap is quite grippy, so moving it means I have to actually lift it from my shoulder to reposition it rather than just sliding it around.
                      I don't have a PU either, but wanted to add to @ceepee's comments about the strap. It sounds to me like you want to carry it cross body. I have only liked the absolute strap for Crossbody if I know I won't be swinging the bag around from front to back. As ceepee says, it's hard to do that because of the grippy neoprene. That said, it's not often I like to carry my bag that way (I usually like to have my bag in the front) so if you carry your cross body bag in the front all the time, the AS is great. If you like to carry your bag just on one shoulder some of the time, the AS is fantastic. I'm surprised at how good the standard strap really is, but personally, I do not like this for strict shoulder carry. If I am shoulder carrying, I like the bag to sit up much higher (kinda like the Swift or a regular shoulder purse) because I have rounded shoulders and they straps tend to slip off. With the AS, you can adjust the strap length on both ends. The standard strap can only be so short because of the pad. Try as I might, I can't get the adjuster to slip through said pad so my only option is to cut off the pad and add a removable one. I know they make the ultra suede wrap, but that's sized for the small and medium cafe bags.

Comment

Oh my goodness. Last night and even during the night, I think, I had been thinking about it and was all set to buy a PU. now I am uncertain again...
                        @luvdabags that was very helpful but now I'm worried about the main opening being too small.
                        @K9TB that link to photos was great. I'll try googling, I hadn't thought of it.
                        @ceepee and pokilani the strap info was very useful.
                        @adalangdon I don't have a particular book or jumper in mind as it is more about comparing with the ability to stuff anything into the swift. But it is helpful to think that smaller things may fit larger things won't.

So thanks everyone. Maybe I should order both the makers and the PU but then I will lose money as the best option is to sell the extra on eBay at a loss. Or keep both which would be great but financially irresponsible! :-)

Comment

Oh my goodness. Last night and even during the night, I think, I had been thinking about it and was all set to buy a PU. now I am uncertain again...
                          @luvdabags that was very helpful but now I'm worried about the main opening being too small.
                          @K9TB that link to photos was great. I'll try googling, I hadn't thought of it.
                          @ceepee and pokilani the strap info was very useful.
                          @adalangdon I don't have a particular book or jumper in mind as it is more about comparing with the ability to stuff anything into the swift. But it is helpful to think that smaller things may fit larger things won't.

So thanks everyone. Maybe I should order both the makers and the PU but then I will lose money as the best option is to sell the extra on eBay at a loss. Or keep both which would be great but financially irresponsible! :-)
                          Hi Kirri, here are some set up shots that may help. I only have my dyneema PU with me at the moment and I suspect that you would find a dyneema one would manage your load better. I'm not sure how the filled Travel Tray would go in a ballistic PU. In these shots I had a light jumper at the bottom of the center compartment with the Travel Tray and SE sitting on top. In one side compartment was a paperback book, glasses case and small purse. The other side compartment contained my wallet and room for my iPhone 6+. It would depend on the size of your jumper, book etc but the dyneema has a lot of flex and I had no problem putting the travel tray in there. I love your idea of the TT as a lunch carry by the way! Looking forward to getting a Fjord one in my return from the UK for which I have already earmarked as my lunchbox.
                          Hope these pictures help a little.
                          I have the standard strap on both my PUs and comfortably carry it on the shoulder and cross body with that strap.

Last edited by djjr; 03-31-2016, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I bought my Parental Unit to try it as a gym bag. I actually use it as a cross-body messenger bag while cycle commuting.

I don't. Tried a few things on it, like a Q-kit and my bike helmet, but there are better ways of carrying them.

I have an Absolute Strap, which is one of the reasons this works as a messenger bag for my curvy form. The grip of the neoprene means I can swing the bag to the back and mostly keep it there, and the neoprene offers a fairly gentle smush against the bust, rather than an annoying cutty strap that wants to be over/under/between.

Answered above. It does depend on what else you're carrying.

I tend to zip it. You can leave the central compartment unzipped, and the bag retains structural integrity. When you unzip the two long side compartments, the bag blooms open to give access to those pockets. That's handy for access, but not so great for walking around. The side central pockets can be left unzipped without affecting the shape of the bag.

A note about the central zip not giving full-width access: you can often slip something in starting end-first, then swinging it around. I've managed to fit my Toshiba Portege into it like this. It's not a regular laptop bag, and there was no padding, but in an emergency it did the job.

In general, though, it's a curvy bag that's best holding curvy things. Used like that, it's a bag of holding that can usually accommodate "one more thing". It's not the bag to use if your load is primarily rectangular things like books, papers or laptops (but there are plenty of other bags for that).

Comment

@djjr thank you for those wonderful photos esp with travel tray, book, etc. @hanaper your description of curvy bag fitting curvy things, is obvious yet made it click for me.... So I think I'm going to go for it. Thanks everyone. It'll take awhile to get here as I am sending initially to a friend in CA but eventually I'll post on here with how it works.

Comment

Working...
                              X