Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,824   Posts: 191,287   Members: 6,721   Active Members: 266
Welcome to our newest member, willydgil.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PCSB as a backpack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCSB as a backpack

I'm considering ordering the A45 PCBP to use as a backpack, in large part because I am in love with the color Fjord, and also because I'm looking for a lightweight alternative to my S19 to use in the summer when I don't want to otherwise carry a bag. We spend a lot of time out and about walking around flea markets and farmer's markets and I wonder how the PCBP would work out for this. I figure I could put a bottle of water in the bottom zipper pocket of the A45 PCSB.

I'm also thinking about getting a A30 (there's currently 2 options with Fjord interiors) - would the A45 PCBP fit in the main compartment as a packing cube or is it too big?
    Last edited by anarchone; 03-30-2016, 07:29 PM. Reason: Correcting PCSB to PCBP - it's late and I'm tired!

Everything is more fun on a Vespa! 🛵

Originally posted by anarchone View Post
    I'm considering ordering the A45 PCSB to use as a backpack, in large part because I am in love with the color Fjord, and also because I'm looking for a lightweight alternative to my S19 to use in the summer when I don't want to otherwise carry a bag. We spend a lot of time out and about walking around flea markets and farmer's markets and I wonder how the PCSB would work out for this. I figure I could put a bottle of water in the bottom zipper pocket of the A45 PCSB.

I'm also thinking about getting a A30 (there's currently 2 options with Fjord interiors) - would the A45 PCSB fit in the main compartment as a packing cube or is it too big?
    Darcy has already answered that they don't plan on making the Packing Cube Backpack for TriStar/Western-Flyer in any if the limited edition Dyneema colors (I know that the current web page doesn't show this information when you select the TriStar-Western Flyer Option with the new colors, but this is the case; it's a limitation in the new web site, that has only been up for less than 2 weeks, and all the bugs are not out).

Yes, you can order the Packing Cube BackPack for Aeronaut 45 in Fjord, but no, this size packing cube really doesn't fit the Tri-Star or Aeronaut. yes, it's true that you might find the PCBP for Tri-Star/WF easier to carry as a Backpack, and closer to your Synapse usage, but it's not available.

They only had a limited amount of the limited edition Halcyon, and my guess is that they decided to support a limited run of a few PCBPs for the Aeronaut, because they sell a larger number if Aeronauts than other travel bags. That's also why there are no debut TriStars or Western Flyers with interior linings in the limited edition colors. You can use the PCBP for A45 in an A30, despite its slightly larger size. But it's difficult to use well as a backpack in the way you are planning.

I hope @Lani answers this post, because she has a lot more experience with this. But it is problematic balancing the use of the lower pocket of the PCBP for A45 with the other loaded compartment, if you want to try carrying a water bottle.

You'd be better off getting a Daylight Backpack for your envisioned usage. (And yes, I know that the Dyneema versions of the DLBP have not been in stock since the end of February, and won't be back for some weeks, but you'd be better off with this than the PCBP for A45, even if you get a Cordura version, in my opinion).

HTH, and that you get other responses that can address this more specifically.

moriond

ETA: I know that you mean PCBP (Packing Cube BackPack) for A45 -- not PCSB (Packing Cube Shoulder Bag)

ETA2: Here's Darcy's quoted reply that the PCBP will not be made in the Limited Edition Dyneema colors in the Tri-Star/Western Flyer version:

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    Just popped in to say: only the Aeronaut 45 Packing Cube Backpack is available in Sitka, Monarch, and Fjord, and we don't plan to make the Tri-Star Packing Cube Backpack in these colors (unless one of them is voted as the color we'll keep, in which case we will!)
    ETA3: Here's one of Lani's quoted posts from yesterday, before Darcy's response:
    Originally posted by Lani
    I got Packing Cube Shoulder Bags in the three new colors. I would've bought all three colors for the Packing Cube Backpack but alas the Aeronaut version doesn't work for me (for one thing, I carry Tri-Star and Western Flyers, and for another, the Aeronaut version of the PCBP sits on my back really weird unless I pack a lot of stuff in the bottom pocket, which I normally don't).

So here's hoping they'll decide to offer PCBPs in the new colors for the TriStar model!
    Last edited by moriond; 03-30-2016, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks so much, @moriond! I did see http://forums.tombihn.com/general-ba...+as+a+backpackand see that currently there is a 400 Original Halcyon TriStar PCBP available. Perhaps that would be the best choice right now as a DLBP in Halcyon isn't currently available. I so wish for one in Fjord, but need it to function for a backpack as well as a packing cube. Yesterday I ordered a TT and PCSB (yes, this time I really mean PCSB) in Fjord - so I'll be happy on Monday when they're expected to be delivered.
      Last edited by anarchone; 03-30-2016, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Here's one more post from @Lani on the Packing Cube Backpack for the Aeronaut. She uses it for a gym bag, because the bottom pocket can be used to carry shoes. Other people (e.g. @NWHikergal) use the Packing Cube BackPack for Tri-Star/Western Flyer for this purpose.
        Originally posted by Lani View Post
        Trailrunner -- what size shoes do you wear? I ask, because the one Tom Bihn bag that has been my "miracle gym bag" has been the Packing Cube Backpack for the Aeronaut.

The trick is to use the bottom compartment to stash your shoes. It ensures that your shoes will be separate from the rest of your stuff.

You sound like you have various packing cubes and whatnot; I'd play around with the configuration to see how you can pack the main compartment. The smaller stuff, you can clip onto the O-ring with a strap.

The amusing part is that, as much of a fan as I am of the Packing Cube Backpack, my love affair is with the Tri-Star/Western Flyer model, NOT the Aeronaut model. I've never liked the bottom compartment because if it's empty, your backpack winds up looking really funky.

It was really a lightbulb moment when I realized I could fit my running shoes in there. Then everything fell into place!

That said, it's the ONLY time I ever use it... but it sounds like you're an Aeronaut fan, so the Aeronaut PCBP will probably fit right into your collection!
        @anarchone, I totally "get" wanting to get a bag in Fjord that you can use as a Packing Cube and as a Backpack, and it might be worth your while to get the PCBP for A45 in Fjord to use as a convertible packing cube for your A30. But overall, the Daylight Backpack functions much better for your outlined use. The advantage of the original PCBP for Tri-Star/WF and for Aeronaut (45) was that they could be dual purpose for serving as both a packing cube and as a light-weight backpack. With the Tri-Star/WF PCBP, you could add some additional organization by inserting a (Vertical) Freudian Slip (now called Freudian Slip for Brain Bag/Smart Alec to give it more structure and organization. But the reason that the Daylight BackPack works so much better as a BackPack is that it include tiered pockets that both balance the weight of contents and gives you extra organization (e.g., everything you put into the BackPack doesn't slide down to the bottom of each compartment), and so it is much more flexible as a way to carry things in backpack fashion at your destination.

Again, I hope that @Lani weighs in with some suggestions for you.

moriond

Comment

Originally posted by anarchone View Post
          Thanks so much, @moriond! I did see http://forums.tombihn.com/general-ba...+as+a+backpackand see that currently there is a 400 Original Halcyon TriStar PCBP available. Perhaps that would be the best choice right now as a DLBP in Halcyon isn't currently available. I so wish for one in Fjord, but need it to function for a backpack as well as a packing cube. Yesterday I ordered a TT and PCSB (yes, this time I really mean PCSB) in Fjord - so I'll be happy on Monday when they're expected to be delivered.
          @anarchone, as you can tell from the thread that you linked, @Lani is definitely a fan of these! She's also one of the people who asked Darcy specifically about whether they'd make the PCBP for Tri-Star/Western Flyer in Fjord. The model of PCBP for Tri-Star.WF that she likes is the one in "Original Halcyon"= the heavier and more cloth-like 400d Black Dyneema that is also used for the Original Halcyon Daylight BackPack.

I've outlined some of the reasons that people prefer to use the Daylight Backpack (which is easily folded or rolled, and inserted into a side pocket or into the BackPack Strap Pocket of an Aeronaut 30. (You have to fold it to get it into an A30 BackPack Strap Pocket because of the "hour-glass" shape of the compartment, that is too narrow at its narrowest section to let the entire DLBP slide in - the A45 is wide enough for you to slip this in unfolded).

There are some additional tricks to using the Packing Cube Backpack for Tri-Star/Western Flyer if you want to carry around either a Co-Pilot or Pilot as your personal item, and switch to carrying it inside the PCBP in BackPack style. Take a look at my post (#15) in the Just when I thought I had it all figured out... thread that gives a few excerpted pictures and links to threads on how some of these bags can fit inside each other. Here's a sample picture from the Pilot fits into packing cube backpack and vice versa thread that I link to there. You can also do similar things with the Daylight Backpack (e.g. see DayLight BackPack & Pilot: Perfect Match!!. You can also carry a Co-Pilot this way (although I think a PCSB would have to fit inside the Co-Pilot main compartment -- not the back pocket -- and it would be a tighter fit if completely full).

There are lots of different options, depending on what you want to carry! The first Just when I thought I had it all figured out... thread I linked to has other pictures showing the relative size of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag to other accessories, too.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Any idea what size Q-kit the PCBP will fit in? I've been tempted get a matching one to hang on the handle of my Pilot, since I use the back pocket for other stuff.

Comment

By the way it *IS* possible to convert a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag as a backpack! I've done it! You essentially take short 1-inch straps and sew them in and thread D-rings through them. You then turn your PCSB into a very small women's "purse backpack."

You just have to really reinforce the primary point because the bulk of the weight is on it. And by "primary point" I mean the spot that, when you turn your shoulder bag vertical, turns into the top. The point is located in the center, very close to the existing D-ring location.

Kind of hard to describe. I did a hack of it with one of my shoulder bags once. I haven't used it in years and I'll need to find it to look at it again.

I've thought and thought and thought and I'm still passing up on the Packing Cube Backpack. I love the new colors, but the Aeronaut version just doesn't work for me.

Comment

I ended up ordering a 400d original Halcyon PCBP last night. I'll give it a try. @Lani I'll keep your PCSB "purse backpack" in mind! I ordered one in Fjord on debut day - it will be my first PCSB and my first TT! I'm already making TB converts of my co-workers. Spread the joy!

Comment

To anyone here, does the pcbp for a45 fit into the brain bag? I ordered the Fjord already cause a bag in that color is a must but I am trying to figure out which backpack can use it when it's a packing cube.
                  Currently Own:
                  Shadow Guide [Black], Guide's Edition S25 [Black], Large Cafe Bag [Black Halcyon], Brain Bag [Grey/Steel]

Shared:
                  A45 [Nordic Halcyon], PCBP[Fjord Halcyon], Small Shop Bag [Original Black Dyneema]

Comment

Originally posted by Fever39 View Post
                    To anyone here, does the pcbp for a45 fit into the brain bag? I ordered the Fjord already cause a bag in that color is a must but I am trying to figure out which backpack can use it when it's a packing cube.
                    @Fever39, Yes, the Packing Cube BackPack for Aeronaut 45 (PCBP) does fit into the Brain Bag. I'm going to refer you to @backpack's post that started the old Going marsupial! TB Bags that fit inside other TB bags. thread, although I know there are other instances:

Originally posted by backpack View Post
                    Other "Marsupial Bags" I found out about.

2 Packing Cube Shoulder Bags fit in each compartment of the The Brain Bag Laptop Backpack

1 Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut): TOM BIHN fits in each The Brain Bag Laptop Backpack

The Packing Cube Shoulder Bag fits into The Swift Knitting Bag and the The Swift in Cork

Please share your own experiments of Tom Bihn Bags within Tom Bihn Bags.
                    "The Marsupials"

Hey that could be another nickname for the Top Stiches!
                    (I should probably update this thread with some of my recent observations on how the new Aether Packing Cubes for Aeronaut 30 fit into the new Maker's Bag, and into the Swift and into the Medium Cafe Bag)

HTH

moriond

Comment

@moriond thank you so much, i was using all sorts of tags with brain bag to find something like that! i am personally very set on the brain bag but to my understanding, it's split in the middle for two compartments and not sure if a s25 would be better with the packing cube. but your referred post helped plenty~! xD
                      Currently Own:
                      Shadow Guide [Black], Guide's Edition S25 [Black], Large Cafe Bag [Black Halcyon], Brain Bag [Grey/Steel]

Shared:
                      A45 [Nordic Halcyon], PCBP[Fjord Halcyon], Small Shop Bag [Original Black Dyneema]

Comment

Working...
                      X