Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,679   Members: 6,662   Active Members: 270
Welcome to our newest member, lesleypelka.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synapse Camera bag for Sony A6300 - asking the impossible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,
    In short - I really like the idea of synapse 19 as a do everything bag that can also act as my primary camera bag. I have a Sony A6300 which is a smallish mirrorless camera. My intention is to use in in a small crumpler Haven bag. I am looking for feedback on this idea. Ideally I would like to stick that Crumpler and camera in the bottom compartment of the bag. Does this sound feasible? I am not sure if that pocket consumes the entire bottom of the pack - I hope it does. Can anyone provide the dimensions of that space in the 19?

The Crumpler Haven Small is 7.87w x 8.66h x 3.84d (in inches). That is the pouch the is perfect for my camera a few lenses. Am I asking for the impossible? Is there a better solution to have a multipurpose pack, hold my camera, be a Bihn?

Thanks to all for any/all help.

T

Hi, if you are talking about the internal compartment of the bag, yes it would fit the S19. If you mean bottom external pocket, it wouldn't fit. If you want the external, you would need a S25 bag. The snake charmer fits the external bottom pocket with the dimensions of 10.5" x 5.5" x 3.5 . Here is Maverick's video of loading camera equipment in a S19 that could help. https://youtu.be/knJyh_aCqbI
    If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by wayoflife View Post
      Hi, if you are talking about the internal compartment of the bag, yes it would fit the S19. If you mean bottom external pocket, it wouldn't fit. If you want the external, you would need a S25 bag. The snake charmer fits the external bottom pocket with the dimensions of 10.5" x 5.5" x 3.5 . Here is Maverick's video of loading camera equipment in a S19 that could help. https://youtu.be/knJyh_aCqbI
      Thank you very much for the post and video link. Yes I do mean the external bottom pocket. Am I correct the internal dimensions are 10.5 x 5.5 x 3.5? Is that for the 19? Do you have the dimensions for the 25 as well? I think the 25 is more pack than I need. I am really hoping to get the Sony A6300 / A6000 in the bottom compartment with a lens one the camera and may one external lens.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

@AstroBoy, that insert would be too big to fit in the bottom pocket on the S19. A Side Effect (8.5 inx 5inx 2in) fits perfectly in the S19 bottom pocket. And there is no padding in the bottom of the S19, which would make me a bit nervous with my Sony mirrorless. I would suggest either putting your camera and insert in the main compartment of the S19 or looking at other options like the PCSB, Co-Pilot, or DLBC. Or if you are using merely camera wraps rather than an insert, a mirrorless will fit in a cafe bag. While I could fit my mirrorless in the bottom compartment of my S19 using wraps or a neoprene cover, I would not feel entirely secure about its having adequate protection.

ETA: perhaps this will help to visualize. Here is a photo of my Sony A5100 with a 20mm lens attached and next to it is a 55-210 lens. While they fit in there unprotected, there is not a ton of spare room.

Last edited by NWhikergal; 04-17-2016, 10:58 AM.
        "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
        "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Comment

Originally posted by NWhikergal View Post
          @AstroBoy, that insert would be too big to fit in the bottom pocket on the S19. A Side Effect (8.5 inx 5inx 2in) fits perfectly in the S19 bottom pocket. And there is no padding in the bottom of the S19, which would make me a bit nervous with my Sony mirrorless. I would suggest either putting your camera and insert in the main compartment of the S19 or looking at other options like the PCSB, Co-Pilot, or DLBC. Or if you are using merely camera wraps rather than an insert, a mirrorless will fit in a cafe bag. While I could fit my mirrorless in the bottom compartment of my S19 using wraps or a neoprene cover, I would not feel entirely secure about its having adequate protection.

ETA: perhaps this will help to visualize. Here is a photo of my Sony A5100 with a 20mm lens attached and next to it is a 55-210 lens. While they fit in there unprotected, there is not a ton of spare room.
          Ah - I see now. I agree the protection there with just wraps would be poor at best. I will take a look at a few of the bags your are recommending. I am really looking for an all day pack for other times, yet protects the a6300 and a couple lenses well. I want some thing that offers more utility than just a camera bag and I can wear comfortably all day.

Thanks again for the picture and advice - I will keep searching :-).

Comment

So - I have done some thinking about this - perhaps too much thinking. This has turned into paralysis by analysis!

Anyway - I have decided to use either a Tenba BOB 7 or 9. These are inserts that I am fond of.

Bob 7 - 7.5W x 5.5H x 3.5D
            Bob 9 - 9W x 6.5H x 4D

I am not sure how easy that would fit into the Synapse 19. Ideally I would like the camera to be easily accessible, that may be strike 2 against the Synapse 19. It appears the camera insert would fit best into a messenger style bag. Sorry to ask again - but now that I have the insert decided on is there perfect choice for a bag? I really want a day bag for my stuff the is comfortable! They Synapse looked perfect....

Comment

The makers bag or the night flight duffle bag would be my picks. The makers bags allow you to use you insert and the night flight has an optional camera insert designed for the bag. The brain bag pack would be another option as well.
              If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

Comment

@AstroBoy, did you end up with a setup that you liked? I have the BYOB 7 for my A6300 and it fits nicely alongside a Peak Design pouch in the Synapse 25, but that's better for travel than daily use. When I'm shooting I tuck the BYOB 7 into a Patagonia Mini Messenger.

Comment

@AstroBoy, I just bought the Sony a6300 with the Tenba BYOB 7 and am currently using it inside my Large Cafe Bag. It fits perfectly in the bag with a bit of room to the side where I've got my Side Effect filling the space. There is also room on top for my gorilla pod, accessories pouch (small q-kit) and miscellaneous odds and ends. This is working well for me so far. I do wish the LCB had a zipper top option, but the flap does make it pretty quick to get into the bag and access the camera on the fly.
                  "Here's my life. I have to mine it, farm it, trade it, tenant it, and when the lease is up, it cannot be renewed."
                  --Jeanette Winterson

Comment

Working...
                  X