Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,657   Members: 6,660   Active Members: 268
Welcome to our newest member, frogmore.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super sticky urethane pockets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my pockets arent sticky any more either! baby powder and a blush brush worked like a charm. Just a super light coat. You cant see any of it and they feel much better.

Comment

Originally posted by tebnewyork View Post
      I don't think the mesh would be a menace to knitters.
      Of course many people use the Swift for purposes other than knitting, but as a knitter mesh would be a deal-breaker for me for two reasons: first, the mesh is rough enough that it does affect particularly delicate yarns, and second, small knitting or sewing/darning needles are hard to see and can slip through the mesh very easily.

Comment

What about one urethane, and the other halcyon--urethane only sticks to other urethane, right? And then, everybody gets what they like, and some stuff can be hidden if desired.

Comment

I have been using my swift as my EDC for 3 weeks now and still notice a lot of sticking. I spent some time in the last couple of days looking at the pocket construction and the overall bag construction to see what I might be willing to do with the pockets. I am handy with a sewing machine and I am really tempted to take the bag partially apart and completely replace the urethane. But it would be easier to just sew mesh over it.
          At any rate, I will wait a few weeks since I have another longish trip coming up (2 weeks to Atlanta and a little tour of the Deep South to satisfy our "states list" before ending up in Nashville for the International Barbershop Harmony Competition!), so the swift will get lots more use in the meantime.
          Even though I am considering modifications, I still love my swift. It just suits my style of carry. I load that baby up and don't feel the weight the way I did with the LCB.

Comment

Originally posted by tebnewyork View Post
            Funny the mention of mesh. I'd actually thought of sending that in as a suggestion. I would love the see the pockets in the swift in mesh instead of urethane. I would use the same mesh as in the organizer cubes. I don't think the mesh would be a menace to knitters.

no that would be very very bad. I can imagine crochet hooks and scissors and knitting needles poking right through the mesh.... PLEASE DO NOT PUT MESH IN THE SWIFT POCKETS

Comment

Originally posted by ConnieSue View Post
              I have been using my swift as my EDC for 3 weeks now and still notice a lot of sticking. I spent some time in the last couple of days looking at the pocket construction and the overall bag construction to see what I might be willing to do with the pockets. I am handy with a sewing machine and I am really tempted to take the bag partially apart and completely replace the urethane. But it would be easier to just sew mesh over it.
              At any rate, I will wait a few weeks since I have another longish trip coming up (2 weeks to Atlanta and a little tour of the Deep South to satisfy our "states list" before ending up in Nashville for the International Barbershop Harmony Competition!), so the swift will get lots more use in the meantime.
              Even though I am considering modifications, I still love my swift. It just suits my style of carry. I load that baby up and don't feel the weight the way I did with the LCB.
              Just give it a light dusting of baby powder

Comment

I know it was mentioned before here and in the Ravelry group, but I was wondering if there had been an official response from @Darcy or the TB Crew about the straps on this recent batch of Nordic and Black Halcyon Swifts? I used mine for the first full day today and I have to say the scratchiness of the straps is hard to easily overlook. At first I was wearing a tank top and while I noticed the roughness of the fabric I didn't think anything of it until my friend noticed that my shoulder was all red (not painfully but noticeable enough that she commented). Then I put on a light weight shirt (thin cotton button-down) and when I got home I noticed that the fabric had pilled where the straps rubbed. It sort of reminds me of my old Plum/Black/Steel cordura Swift. One side of that bag (I don't remember if it was the purple or black but it wasn't the straps) would pill my sweaters horribly. I'm hoping that this is just an odd bolt of fabric since my (also recently purchased) Aubersky Swift doesn't have the problems, but if this is the new black cordura this could put a serious damper on my bag collection
                Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

Hoping for a return of Hunter and Sage...

Comment

@jess, I don't think that the material is Cordura. My guess that it is pack cloth that was reinforced. (See @adalangdon's response in this thread). One solution that I posted up on Ravelry, but which doesn't seem to have gotten a lot of attention, is to use the neoprene handle wraps @celtical originally recommended that were mentioned recently in this post.

The COSMOS neoprene padded handle wraps are short enough at 5.3”/275 mm to work as padded grab handle wraps for the Cafe Bags, Synapses, Daylight Backpacks, etc. as well as for the webbing handles of the Daylight Briefcase. I’ll add that this will also work as a strap wrap for the Swift, although I’ve never had to use one for my Swift or Little Swift.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3045.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	381.4 KB
ID:	300041
                  Here’s a picture of the COSMOS neoprene padded handle wrap around a Swift, with the unwrapped handle wrap shown to the right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3044.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	300042
                  Demo photos showing that this wrap is soft and flexible enough to work with many other webbing handle loop uses -- such as for a Synapse or for a Field Journal Notebook. Again, an unwrapped handle wrap is shown in the upper right. It’s a little longer than the length of a Mini organizer pouch or clear organizer wallet. A size #4 Knitting Tool Pouch is slightly larger, but better approximates the unwrapped size.

On the Swift, it’s the fact that the padded portions of the handle are under the wrap that makes the wrapped section look straight -- not the fact that the handle wrap lacks softness and flexibility. The usual issue with finding a good handle wrap to use for these purposes is that they’re too long and/or too stiff to work well. So, while I can’t give you a “feel” of the wrap in these pictures, I can show instances where it is really flexible.

If you read the original post I linked, there are links to other colors of handle wraps, or you can search for them yourself. Black should work for most purposes.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Thanks @moriond! I'm a little confused about the packcloth though--do you mean the new Swift handles are packcloth or that it was part of my old Swift? Because the new Swift handles don't seem like packcloth to me. Or at least it doesn't resemble the material on the handles of the shop bag I got today. I did see the post about adding the handle wraps but I feel like that is a lot of unnecessary bulk, especially to put two of them on the Swift (I wouldn't want the handles stuck together at all). I don't know, I guess I'm just really curious if this is going to be ongoing because it's making me not totally love my new Swift. And I do <3 Black Halcyon with the power of a thousand suns.

Comment

Scratchy Swift Straps

I called the TB Crew about the scratchy Swift straps just a little bit ago and they are on the case. Hopefully they can figure out why these are so different from the others.

If anyone else has gotten a Swift recently with or without the rough straps and hasn’t commented, I’d encourage you to do so so that they can see how widespread the issue is (or isn’t). Maybe add the color combo and date of purchase? It may be helpful. THANKS!

For the official record, my Black Halcyon/UV Swift is the one with the scratchy straps, purchased last week.
                      My slightly older Aubersky Swift has the normal straps, purchases April 5th.

Comment

Originally posted by jess View Post
                        I know it was mentioned before here and in the Ravelry group, but I was wondering if there had been an official response from @Darcy or the TB Crew about the straps on this recent batch of Nordic and Black Halcyon Swifts?
                        This is so strange! We haven't changed the straps. Materials are the same, construction is the same... we're examining the Swifts we have here at the factory to see if there's any difference that we can perceive.

An re: the clear urethane pockets.... the urethane we use hasn't changed at all. And as far as I could find out, we're still working through a roll of urethane that we've had for a while, so it's not a new batch. I compared the pockets on various color combos of Swifts we have now and couldn't tell a difference between any of them in terms of stickiness (or not). Maybe it's a matter of the pockets feeling less sticky over time, after the bag has been used for a while? Note: there's no plans to change the design of the Swift.
                        Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

@Darcy, I really appreciate that you and the crew are taking the time to look into this. The urethane I can understand, and the powder trick definitely helped but the straps may drive me nuts. And I don't think it's a matter of my Aubersky Swift being more broken in and hence softer straps--I used it for less than two weeks before switching back to my MB. It's been sitting in a box since the end of April.

Comment

I have the same scratchy straps on my Black Halcyon/UV Swift. It was the first thing I noticed when I tried it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Darcy,

I have the new Nordic/UV Swift, and the material along the strap handles and trim definitely feels rougher than standard Cordura. Admittedly, the last new Swift I bought was when the original Nordic Swift first debuted over 3 years ago, but this really feels different.

The clear pockets feel fine to me, though. The fabric of these straps are definitely more abrasive.

moriond

Comment

I'm wondering if the urethane feels sticky right now due to heat and humidity in the US?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X