Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,822   Posts: 191,273   Members: 6,719   Active Members: 269
Welcome to our newest member, tinacap77.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clipping Bags to Seatback Pockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clipping Bags to Seatback Pockets

Hi,
    I have seen a few photos where people clip their SE to a seat back pocket on a plane. What clips do you use for that? Would it be possible to do that with a PCSB as well?

Thanks!

It is the double carabiner that you can find in the parts tab that has been used for this purpose. If you check out the Bag Hacks videos, one of them shows that maneuver in action.

Comment

Originally posted by sarahlin View Post
      Hi,
      I have seen a few photos where people clip their SE to a seat back pocket on a plane. What clips do you use for that? Would it be possible to do that with a PCSB as well?

Thanks!
      The original version of this Hack for turning a Side Effect into an airline seat pocket bag used Nite-Ize S-biners, but a better solution is to use Double Carabiner Clips, both because the top and bottom halves of the clips can rotate to attach at the optimal position, and also because the large loop design of these clips can also hook into the thicker triangular attachment points of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, where you would normally clip on a shoulder strap.

The Double Carabiner Clips rotate to easily hold the Side Effect in place during the flight:

For the movie demo (with the Side Effect), see Forum Bag Hacks Part I video and start watching at about 1:30 into the sequence. You need a pair of double carabiner clips.

It's possible to use this with the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, but be aware that the longer length and the unreinforced nature of the PCSB means that it can sag if you try to load it up with heavy items. It works better if you have access to 400d Halcyon versions of the PCSB (a limited production run in Spring 2014 when the supply of 200d Dyneema ran out let forum users order the PCSB in the heavier weight 400d Original Nordic and Original Black Halcyon). An alternative way to stiffen the PCSB is to get a medium size Double Organizer Pouch and insert it into the diagonal zippered pocket.

You can read more general comments in the What's the best way to do this? thread. Some people use the 5/8" shoulder strap of the Side Effect to secure it around the drop down tray.

HTH

moriond

Comment

This reply is amazing! I am using my packing cube for knitting and just want it off my lap for the flight. I am still tempted by a side effect though, different uses of course.

Comment

The double carabiners are such a nifty hack for seat pockets. I may or may not have a set of carabiners for each of my SEs...

Comment

I was all set to order them until I saw the standard $9 shipping applies so I need to wait until I "need" something else. I am debating a side effect.

Comment

It works great with a PCSB!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160513_120424291.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	722.7 KB
ID:	300076
              Navy/Iberian: A30, A45, Swift, SE Linen/Navy: SCB Olive/Burnt Orange: SCB Navy: DLBP Coyote/Navy: MF Verde/Ultraviolet: SE

Comment

Originally posted by sarahlin View Post
                I was all set to order them until I saw the standard $9 shipping applies so I need to wait until I "need" something else. I am debating a side effect.
                @sarahlin, If you're only using the PCSB to hold wool, there should be no problems in using the PCSB as your seat pocket bag. You can see from @vkigus's picture that the Double Carabiner clip loops can handle the triangular strap attachment points of of the PCSB, although an S-biner might have to be carefully sized.

A few more comments: if you order one or more Knitting Tool Pouch, they'll include a Double Carabiner Clip with your pouch order (as long as these clips are still available), so you'd only have to order one more separately. (Although, note that the price of ordering a Double Carabiner Clip from most other sources is about 2.5 - 3 x the price of ordering one such item from Parts -- try a search on "medium swivel clips" to check this.) Because the molded plastic is flattened and smooth, you can slide either pouches like the Knitting Tool Pouches (with O-ring ends) along the clip, or organizer pouches attached with snap hook ends along the clip rings (as long as you don't try to crowd too many of these on a single clip).

You could order a medium Double Organizer Pouch and insert it into the diagonal zippered pocket. Because the height of the Medium Pouch approximates that of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, and there are two layers in the pouch, it acts as a good "stiffener", and is a handy size for carrying boarding passes, travel itineraries, post cards etc.

BTW I put 5 Double Carabiners in the Cart and got charged $6 for Priority Shipping. I think including a Knitting Tool Pouch took this up to $7 for shipping.

HTH

moriond
                Last edited by moriond; 06-22-2016, 09:56 PM.

Comment

I use both a PCSB and an SE depending upon the length of the flight. For longer international flights, I always use the PCSB to corral everything because I need a little more room for the stuff I take. For shorter flights, then I can use an SE just fine. I will note that the PCSB does seem to take up more legroom, although I don't need it because I am short (4'11"). And it can sort of get in the way if I have to get up during the flight. Last weekend I did not use either because my destination was only a 50 minute flight away. All I needed was my Clorox wipes and they fit in a SCB.
                  Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Comment

The double carabiner clips are also available from third party sellers and in different sizes and in black. The size TB carries iis a medium. Check eBay.
                    Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is my Black Halcyon Zeitgeist with a Cobalt Cerylon 3DOC as my "purse"/

Comment

Working...
                    X