Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,827   Posts: 191,312   Members: 6,699   Active Members: 269
Welcome to our newest member, driph.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I want a Side Effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I want a Side Effect?

yes/no?

I would not use it as a purse...I would use it to organize travel things (id, and other purse things) when flying because I prefer to pack my purse and I like I can use it in my S25, I also like that I can attach it to my bike handlebars (with 2 keystraps) because I don't have a good way to carry keys, phone, etc. when biking and I need at least my keys with me. Basically I like the option to have it do purse things when I am using a bigger bag (shop bag, backpack) because it looks nondescript and will serve its purpose well.

Everyone needs at least one Side Effect.
    All the uses you mention are excellent uses for the bag.
    I prefer the Halcyon versions because they are more pliable especially nice when being used inside another bag.
    You could use a 3D organizer pouch but the pockets and zipper compartment on the SE set it apart.

Comment

I would agree with @tebnewyork. I have used it in the manner you have described when I am in need of some bag organization. The Halcyon versions are especially good at this.

Comment

Seems to me you've answered your own question! The SE is a great bag-in-bag especially if you want to occasionally (or more) use it as a stand-alone bag.

Comment

I specifically bought the original Halcyon version to hold my iPad mini...although I have a bigger ipad now I so use my Side Effect everyday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
          "Go forward and never lose sight of your dreams."

SE (2), SC, DLBP (2), Swift, LS, Spiff Kit, SK, SCB, MCB, LCB, LSB, SSB (2), PT, FJN (2), Pilot, BB, Synik 22, Strap Keepers, Synik 30, TT (6), TSS (lots), COW, PCSB, 3DOC (2), Smart Alec, Cubelet, Pocket Pouch, GWP and other pouches/cubes

Comment

In short yes, yes you do. Everyone needs at least one Side Effect. I've said it before, I'm a kitchen sink purse kind of girl but I've come to absolutely adore my SE. It's my single most used bag. I like that I can carry it alone if I'm just running out quick but I love it more as a nesting item in a larger bag (MB, Swift, etc) and I LOVE how it fits in the pocket of a shop bag. It's all around useful. And really is a Tardis bag. I'm continually surprised at how much it holds.

thought: is there a what's in my SE thread? If not there really should be. *runs off to look*

EDIT: Found it!
            https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...de-effect.html
            Last edited by jess; 06-24-2016, 01:53 PM.
            Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

Hoping for a return of Hunter and Sage...

Comment

I've always used big purses. I really didn't think I could use a SE, but as people say, I use it every day because it fits inside a bag or goes on its own. I don't use a crossbody strap because that would add too much "tangle" in the larger bag. I use a 16" keystrap as a short strap.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Comment

ACK! You all convinced me to add a SE to my recent order. These forums are dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by BWeaves View Post
                  ACK! You all convinced me to add a SE to my recent order. These forums are dangerous.
                  But wait, you only ordered one? Very restrained!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have only ever used my Side Effect as a purse, using the skinny strap that comes with it and wearing it on my shoulder or crossbody. Sometimes I have packed it inside my backpack or Co-Pilot to take out when I get to work and don't want to carry a bigger bag across campus.

Until today.

Went grocery shopping with the husband and the kiddos, and it was raining and everyone's hands were full, and I happened to grab the waist-strap from my DLBP to transform my SE into a fanny pack. I don't have a use for the waist strap on my DLBP but now I am thrilled that it came with it. My SE was comfortable, easy to access, covered my tummy nicely, kept my hands free for other things, served as a little pillow during an impromptu breastfeeding session, made me look like the hipster I once was. I LOVED IT. I will use the shoulder strap for "fancy" "grown-up" occasions, but I'm never looking back on the fanny pack style for everyday/weekend. Get yourself a SE. My husband requested one. He has never shown any interest in my SE before (when it was in purse mode) but now wants one to use as a fanny pack. Life changer.

Comment

Originally posted by doesntmakememadonna View Post
                      I have only ever used my Side Effect as a purse, using the skinny strap that comes with it and wearing it on my shoulder or crossbody. Sometimes I have packed it inside my backpack or Co-Pilot to take out when I get to work and don't want to carry a bigger bag across campus.

Until today.

Went grocery shopping with the husband and the kiddos, and it was raining and everyone's hands were full, and I happened to grab the waist-strap from my DLBP to transform my SE into a fanny pack. I don't have a use for the waist strap on my DLBP but now I am thrilled that it came with it. My SE was comfortable, easy to access, covered my tummy nicely, kept my hands free for other things, served as a little pillow during an impromptu breastfeeding session, made me look like the hipster I once was. I LOVED IT. I will use the shoulder strap for "fancy" "grown-up" occasions, but I'm never looking back on the fanny pack style for everyday/weekend. Get yourself a SE. My husband requested one. He has never shown any interest in my SE before (when it was in purse mode) but now wants one to use as a fanny pack. Life changer.
                      The SE also makes a great minimalist hiking bag with the waist strap. It won't hold most water bottles, but easily fits keys, ID, license, glasses, and snacks. I also use it at the beach/lake for holding keys, sunscreen, etc.

Comment

Thanks all. I ordered a halcyon one and it comes next week. Next order I am adding a waist strap. Will the one from my s19 work?

Comment

Originally posted by sarahlin View Post
                          Thanks all. I ordered a halcyon one and it comes next week. Next order I am adding a waist strap. Will the one from my s19 work?
                          Yep. That's what I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocks View Post
                            Yep. That's what I use.
                            Woo hoo! Excellent.

Comment

Mine goes in the vertical pocket on my synapse 25 when it isn't cross body. Fits 2 altoids kits (make up and electronics) keys, wallet, iPhone etc when I am using it. Best. Travel. Purse. Ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X