Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,827   Posts: 191,313   Members: 6,701   Active Members: 267
Welcome to our newest member, driph.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I want a Side Effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I posted earlier that I had ordered a ballistic SE and sent it right back. The fabric was too thick and stiff and I couldn't get into the pockets.
    I just got a Halcyon SE, and you're right, the fabric does make a difference. I'm not a huge fan of the grid on the fabric, but I got the new black, and it's not so noticible. But I can at least get into the bag's pockets easily.

1. The cross body strap seems to be weak at the snap hooks. Has anyone had a problem with the snap hooks breaking?

2. I got a loop for carrying it in my hand. Not sure I'll use it, but sometimes, you don't want a cross body bag.

3. Should I get a waist strap, too? I'm not wild about waistpacks, but this one seems fairly slim.

Comment

BWeaves, I haven't had any issues with the original cross-body strap on the SE I left it on, but for my primary SE I ordered the OP/Tech Mini SOS Strap instead, as recommended by quite a few forum members here. It is kind of like a mini Absolute Strap, and it makes the SE (I have ballistic) super comfortable to carry even when I stuff it with a heavy wallet, phone, and re-usable grocery bag.
      Rambling On. . . . .

Comment

1. Never had a problem with the snap hooks.
        2. I would hate holding (or dangling) a bag in my hand all the time. (YMMV)
        3. If I want to wear it around my waist, I just cinch the shoulder strap down to appropriate length and wear it. I have not found it necessary to switch straps, as the bag is never really heavy enough for the added strap strength, or I want to be able to swap between cross body and waist carry.

Comment

Ah thanks! I had not thought of just cinching down the shoulder strap.

I plan on keeping this bag light and not loading it up. Just the bare necessities.

Comment

Well, I got my black halcyon SE and I love it in halcyon compared to ballistic. I tried it as the 'extra stuff' container for switching between my swifts, and little swift. It is absolutely perfect... Except I hate the colour. I'm using a clear organiser cube in orange152 which I love even though the shape is not as good.

I need the side effect to be available in halcyon bright colours!

Comment

Kerri-the Nordic is really vibrant in person. Would that work?

Comment

"3. If I want to wear it around my waist, I just cinch the shoulder strap down to appropriate length and wear it. "

Oh dear, this doesn't work for me. Maybe they lengthened the shoulder strap, because it's very long. Even shortening the strap to its shortest length, I could never wear it around my waist, and I have large hips. It would fall to the ground.

"2. I would hate holding (or dangling) a bag in my hand all the time."

As for the loop. I wouldn't carry the SE like that on a regular basis, but if I was on a trip, I probably wouldn't want a cross body bag if I was dressed nice for an event. The hand loop would work for that scenario. I figured, for $3, it didn't hurt to have it in my stash, and I might think of other uses for it, like hanging small pounches off doorknobs or hooks.
                Last edited by BWeaves; 08-30-2016, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by luvdabags View Post
                  Kerri-the Nordic is really vibrant in person. Would that work?
                  Agreed, and the background (grey) grid pattern is less evident in the new Nordic than in the new Black Halcyon. If you like Nordic/Wasabi (for a bright interior), that might be a good choice for you.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here wear their SE with the Gatekeeper waist belt?

Comment

Hi Moriond and luvdabags - yes, I think I would like a nordic SE (not as much as a zest one but dreams are different than reality!) but I can't really justify the shipping of another SE to Australia. So I will wait until I place another order someday in the future.

I agree with everyone who has said that the halcyon fabric makes it a very different bag to the ballistic. I love my other ballistic bags, but really like the softness of the halcyon when the SE is slipped in and out of my other bags.

I've been spoiled by TB and really want the bags I want in the colours I want...! (stamping foot for emphasis of course) And now I've discovered orange 152, I want almost all my bags in something like that. ;-)

Comment

Yes, I wear it that way when dog walking, but wouldn't as a regular thing as I carry a purse normally. It is very comfortable around the waist.

Comment

Originally posted by BWeaves View Post
                          1. The cross body strap seems to be weak at the snap hooks. Has anyone had a problem with the snap hooks breaking?
                          Hence why I *ONLY* use a 1-inch strap with mine. I like this particular version because the snap is almost identical to the bigger cousin you get from buying the simple strap here at TB.

Comment

They have come unhooked on occasion, but have never broken.
                            Owner of Aeronaut 45, Aubergine/Wasabi; MCB, Plum; Travel Trays, Wasabi, NW Sky & Zest; PCSB, Iberian; PCBP, Steel, black dyneema CP & Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by BWeaves View Post
                              Just out of curiosity, does anyone here wear their SE with the Gatekeeper waist belt?
                              I got my first Side Effect today and immediately tried it out with my Gatekeeper strap for a 1-hour walk. At first it felt noticeable (not uncomfortable, just--there) but after a short while I got so used to it I forgot I was wearing it. This is ballistic; I bet your Halcyon version would be even more comfortable as it would mold to the body a little more. Highly recommend getting the waist strap if you think there's a chance you'd use it.

Comment

I love my ballistic one and so far resisted getting a halcyon one too because I use the SE as a minimalist purse that I put into bigger bags. Switching between SEs themselves would be a hassle! Also, I carry my passport in the SE while in transit, and I figure the ballistic helps keep the passport from getting bent up accidentally.

I'm used to containing my edc odds and ends in a single smallish pouch. To switch bags I'd just move four things: my wallet, keys, phone, and that pouch. Now the SE has taken the place of the pouch and holds the wallet, keys, and phone too. When I'm carrying just the SE, I use the thin cross body strap, but I have the wrist strap too in case I want to simplify the SE inside another bag (but I'm usually lazy and just drop in the whole SE, long strap and all).

Thanks Lani for the suggestion to use a 1-inch strap--I think I will try it out. I don't have a problem with the 5/8 TB strap, but it doesn't work on a bigger bag like the PCSB (I currently use the 1 1/2-inch TB simple or standard strap for that). One 1-inch strap to switch between both SE and PCSB might be ideal, since that would save from having to deal with (or possibly lose) the 5/8 strap somehow when I put the SE in the PCSB.

(I also like the mini SOS strap Meglet mentioned--but I use it on my Western Flyer, which I pack to about 15 pounds!)

Comment

Working...
                                X