Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,772   Posts: 190,625   Members: 6,656   Active Members: 263
Welcome to our newest member, basil.bourque.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daylight BP vs Packing Cube BP vs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daylight BP vs Packing Cube BP vs ?

Someone here recommended the Daylight BP when I said I wanted a wander-around-town bag while on trips. Since I'm planning to travel with my carry-on as a backpack (haven't decided between Tri-Star or Aeronaut), I don't like to have a second backpack as a personal item. Carrying two backpacks just doesn't work for me - but they are definitely handy for day trips. After some research now, I've heard people stuff the DLBP in the Aeronaut strap compartment, and the Packing Cube BP could be stored as well (as a packing cube!)

Anyone tried both or see a preference in one versus the other? I'm open to either of these packs.

What would make either of these better than any of a million other small lightweight daypacks? I'm thinking about something like an REI Flash 18 to name a popular brand.

Thanks as usual in advance for your feedback.

-Bob

I own both the DLBP and PCBP. I don't use the PCBP any more as a packing cube, I just use the standard packing cubes as the mesh ones are easier to use.

So either way, the PCBP of DLBP would be a rolled up/stuffed in to the bag as an addition anyway. In which case I'd always go with the DLBP as its just a little better as a daybag with the extra internal pockets and more streamlined shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

I have both backpacks but I prefer the Daylight for traveling/day trips and use the packing cube one for a gym bag. The Daylight backpack looks less like a climbing/sports bag and more like a casual, slim bag. I think the PCBP gets more bulges as things shift, but the organization in the DLBP keeps things flat.

Comment

I don't have the PCBP but have both the DLBP and REI Flash 18. I only use the Flash 18 for hiking. I love the DLBP and think it's better for travel and as an EDC -- it has a more comfortable shape and better organization (pockets!). I feel like everything just kind of falls to the bottom in a lump in my Flash, but the pockets in the DLBP helps prevent that. I also prefer the zip closure over the Flash's drawstring closure.

Comment

Thanks both for the direct comparisons. The REI does suffer from being a bucket with a small mesh pouch. I have too many backpacks to list here, but the DLBP sounds really nice for the organization. It also looks great in the Halcyon - wish it was in the Nordic color. ...or do I want the coyote or cocoa?

Comment

I have owned both and would suggest the DLBP in Halcyon. It easily compresses down and fits in a larger bag. The DLBP can also be used as a packing cube.

Comment

Hi Slbear

I have been wanting a DLBP ever since it came out and was waiting ever since to have it in an halcyon color I fancy (wasabi, not to mention it). I was hesitating to buy a PCBP just to get the color I wanted (as PCBP come in all the nice halcyon colors). The good thing is that black halcyon and nordic halcyon came out, and I bought the black halcyon DLBP about a month ago.

Two comment from my side:
              - I do not own a PCBP, but I'm glad I chose the DLBP over the PCBP for the size. The fact is that the DLBP is HUGE. But maybe it is due to the fact that I'm European, and anything coming from the US always seems huge (and although I am very tall). Due to the fact that the DLBP is less squarish than the PCBP, I assume the DLBP looks a little bit less huge,
              - But on the other hand, for someone who was looking for the perfect small bag to bring along as a daypack (and not end-up using an ultra light Sea-to-summit folding bag for example), I have to admit that the DLBP is maybe too big once folded, and I'm not sure it will really fit the purpose. The PCBP does not have the internal organisation, but that might make it easier to fold.

If space taken by the bag once folded is not an issue, then I assume you should go for the DLBP. It looks good, it feels good, and as far as I'm concerned, I really love the new black halcyon color. But as a daypack to carry in my travelling carry-on, I might continue to use my Eagle creek foldable bag (unfortunately).

Comment

Originally posted by slbear View Post
                Thanks both for the direct comparisons. The REI does suffer from being a bucket with a small mesh pouch. I have too many backpacks to list here, but the DLBP sounds really nice for the organization. It also looks great in the Halcyon - wish it was in the Nordic color. ...or do I want the coyote or cocoa?
                The DLBP was produced in the new gray-grid Nordic in May. It doesn't show as currently in production, but if you're not in a hurry you could wait to see if it makes a return. A call to Customer Service may be helpful especially if it's in their line up, but beyond the 2-12 week timetable which corresponds to the "in production" designation.

Comment

I have both the DLBP and PCBP. For a daytime walkabout pack I prefer the DLBP, but it has significantly less capacity than the PCBP. If I need to carry around a lot of stuff (for example, a big bulky jacket, a pair of shoes, etc.) then I carry around the PCBP.

The PCBP is *particularly* great as a gear bag when I go to races. I can easily pack a spare pair of shoes or sandals/flips flops, sweats, a towel, a pack of wet wipes, a change of clothes, etc.

By the way, this is one reason I'm hoping the fine folks at Tom Bihn might one day make a larger versions of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. I'd LOVE to see one that is the size of a large (square-ish) Halcyon Packing Cube (for Aeronaut 45), as well as version that is essentially the same size as the PCBP, but with D-rings on the sides where you can clip a shoulder strap, instead of the sewn-on backpack straps. That way you could have a larger shoulder bag when you are carrying a TB bag as a backpack.

I can keep hoping, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Lani View Post
                    By the way, this is one reason I'm hoping the fine folks at Tom Bihn might one day make a larger versions of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. I'd LOVE to see one that is the size of a large (square-ish) Halcyon Packing Cube (for Aeronaut 45), as well as version that is essentially the same size as the PCBP, but with D-rings on the sides where you can clip a shoulder strap, instead of the sewn-on backpack straps. That way you could have a larger shoulder bag when you are carrying a TB bag as a backpack.

I can keep hoping, right?
                    OH GOD YES. YES to all of this. Tom Bihn Crew: please, please, please listen to the esteemed Lani!

I really, really like the PCSB and use it as my everyday bag most of the time, and I love it for travel because it keeps things so handy. But I keep wishing it was just a tad bigger so that I could fit magazines and a bit more into it comfortably. Because I am not really a minimalist, I end up with a PCSB and then another tote bag, and it's just awkward. My last trip, I had a PCBP and a PCSB (and then the A45 as checked luggage-- I'm really not a minimalist!), and that was awkward. But if I want to read Tatler and British Vogue on the plane, what is a girl going to do?

And while we're at it, please make that dream bag (and the regular ole PCSB) in black halcyon and I will give you all my money.

Comment

Originally posted by turnleftbrighteyes View Post
                      And while we're at it, please make that dream bag (and the regular ole PCSB) in black halcyon and I will give you all my money.
                      Oh yes, please. Well, PCSB and PCBP both. IN black, as well as nordic halcyon. Hehe.

Comment

Working...
                      X