Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,770   Posts: 190,605   Members: 6,653   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, bulletproofcharm.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upside down zippers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upside down zippers

I love my S25, but I have an earlier generation with the water proof part of the zipper on the outside. I think we are referring to these as upside down?

Anyway, now that I've used the bag for a couple years the waterproof seal part has started peeling. Unfortunately, I think it detracts from the bag's aesthetics because the rest of it still looks to be in perfect condition.

Anyone have any advice so it doesn't look so ratty?

I noticed the same thing on my S19. I just trimmed the pieces as they came off and it stabilized after a while. There is a small gap (about 1 mm) between the waterproof flaps, and I imagine they aren't as waterproof as they once were, but they don't look ratty to me. (Though I admit the bag fabric has a lot more "character" now!)

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
      I love my S25, but I have an earlier generation with the water proof part of the zipper on the outside. I think we are referring to these as upside down?

Anyway, now that I've used the bag for a couple years the waterproof seal part has started peeling. Unfortunately, I think it detracts from the bag's aesthetics because the rest of it still looks to be in perfect condition.

Anyone have any advice so it doesn't look so ratty?
      @tpnl posted pictures about a year ago of the results of treating his old-style (reversed) zippers with Aerospace 303, in response to an earlier recommendation in that same thread by @ceb:
      Originally posted by ceb View Post
      My recommendation is to use Aerospace 303. Dilute it 50/50 with water and you'll be leaving the surface (zippers, dashboard etc) looking as new rather than a with a shiny, slick, greasy looking surface that makes your car's interior squeak like mad.
      Originally posted by tpnl View Post
      Thanks @ceb!

I got some of that Aerospace 303 stuff and it works great on the rubber parts of the zippers - keeps the zipper rubber the same matt finish and makes them darker and more stealthy to boot! It is good to know that the rubber is protected from UV damage and kept flexible to minimize wear and tear. Also, the Aerospace 303 was easy to put on and left no residue on the bag after wiping it off.

Here is a picture of it on my Cadet. The middle section has not been done and is still "gray" while the finished parts are black. You can really see the difference.

Here is a picture of the end results after doing the full zipper including the middle section.

I love the "reversed" stealthy zippers even more now!

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Edit: I added the "final" results picture
      You can read more discussion in that thread, and maybe other forum members can contribute to the discussion.

HTH

moriond

Comment

I am really interested in this topic as well. Our Synapse bags also have this type of zipper sewing. It has not started to peel yet, but I would be very interested in some sort of preemptive measures to prevent it from happening.

Any other ideas besides the Aerospace 303?

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I guess I can get the "black" look back. But it's still disconcerting to have the zippers on a $200 bag "peeling".

Comment

Upside down zippers

Everything deteriorates over time. I had a jacket with zippers sewn in a similar way and, after several years of use, the zippers started to peel and delaminate. Eventually I replaced the jacket because, while the zippers still functioned, the jacket's overall appearance had become unsavory. It didn't matter that it had cost nearly $400 because the money I spent didn't buy me a garment that would remain eternally pristine, or immune to the ravages of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Badger; 08-20-2016, 08:43 AM.

Comment

I purchased the smallest bottle of Aerospace 303 from Amazon and dabbed it straight on the zippers. I'm not sure it will prevent the zippers from peeling but it might slow the process down and it makes them look less worn and totally black.

This was a helpful thread.

Comment

Working...
              X