Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,814   Posts: 191,173   Members: 6,704   Active Members: 261
Welcome to our newest member, chrisdc.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCB B's LCB...I need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MCB B's LCB...I need help!

Hello All!
    Been lurking around for awhile and finally just decided to join, you all seem like an amazing bunch of folks who absolutely love their TB gear so I am honored to grace the presence of this forum.

Now on to my question.

I have been eyeing the MCB/LCB for quite awhile (it will be my first TB purchase) for an EDC bag. I have gone through most every brand & model of most other common bags (maxpedition/5.11/Timbuk2/mountainsmith/you get the picture) and haven't found the one that has made me (and my bank account) happy.

Then a few years ago I moved to the Puget Sound area and discovered TB! I cannot believe I had never come across them before.

Fast forward to today and I have finally gathered the funds for the purchase but I cannot decide between the MCB or LCB.

Here is a general idea of carry & use:
    -EDC bag: I like to carry with me everywhere so I don't want too bulky or big, if that is the case the bag gets left in the car.
    -travel carry on: I frequent back home to MT taking the little puddle jumper planes. They are VERY tight on space and I like to keep busy during a flight so I want a bag that I can easily access and not have to struggle with.
    -travel EDC: after lurking around the forum I'm glad to see I am not the only one who changes bags/setups for air travel vs car travel vs edc. I am a bit of a camera nerd so I would like the ability to carry a DSLR if needed.

Normal carry (things in the bag at all times):

Gum, Chapstick, Altoids minis, small hand sanitizer, hand lotion, travel Kleenex, hanky

Protein bar, nuun tabs (electrolytes), small water bottle (16 oz or under)

Wallet, keys

iPod classic, earbuds, charging cable.

Kindle or tablet (never both - just depends on what I'm reading/working on at the time), charging cable.

Cell phone, charging cable

Point & shoot camera, spare battery, lens cloth, selfies stick or gorilla pod.

Space pen & notebook

Compass and map of immediate area. Yes I know cell phones exist but sometimes I like old-fashion navigation.

Streamlight Protac 2AAA flashlight, Princeton tech headlamp, spare AAA batteries.

Small boo boo kit, advil.

Pending the weather a beanie or umbrella.

Now of course there are occasionally items that come and go but that is generally what the bag will need to carry. I want it to be easy enough to carry anywhere from work, the movies, the store, or vacation. I also don't like to carry a stuffed bag, I just don't like the look and I prefer a little wiggle room.

I have looked EVERYWHERE for pics, videos and reviews to compare the size of the MCB to the LCB and I haven't found anything definitive.

All suggestions and options are welcome and thanks in advance for the help!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hi gnarley.jeep... What kind of jeep?

I'm not the best person when it comes to the bags. Personally I have a Maker's Bag and LCB. This summer I've been using my LCB more and more as an edc bag as I'm on vacation. The LCB will easily fit (I think) your carry.

My edc in the LCB includes an iPad 2, 3 diapers, wipes, change of clothes for baby, sweater for oldest child, umbrella, some snacks, sunglasses, mints and the like, and there is still some room to play.

You could order both, fill them, and return one... or keep both

Comment

My work EDC is the makers bag which looks like the horizontal equivalent of the LCB. I routinely stuff all of my purse like crap in it, but also add water bottle, lunch, and folders/computer/sometimes add the iPad. If my computer isn't in it I can fit a sweater with the rest of the load. My EDC when not worked by or when I don't need the computer and lunch is a MCB. I daily carry: iPad, water bottle, wallet, side effect somewhat full (computer-projector dongles, jackberry, extra cords, toiletries, etc). A small shop bag is tight with the iPad so I usually throw in a foldable Chico stuff sack. If I move the stuff from SE into the front pocket I can fit a sweater in a stuff sack (I'm a petite 5ft). I don't think you'll be able to fit your list in it comfortably, but it's the perfect size to hold my daily and few things I pick up throughout the day.

Comment

Oh and traveling which I do several 2-3 overnights of 1-2 nights each per month I've fallen in love with my night flight and packing cubes. I couple it as a personal item with my 22 inch rolling osprey when I fly. I shove the SCB in one if those bags for use at the location & carry any files or computer needs in a large shop bag once I'm on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by yeg780 View Post
          Hi gnarley.jeep... What kind of jeep?

I'm not the best person when it comes to the bags. Personally I have a Maker's Bag and LCB. This summer I've been using my LCB more and more as an edc bag as I'm on vacation. The LCB will easily fit (I think) your carry.

My edc in the LCB includes an iPad 2, 3 diapers, wipes, change of clothes for baby, sweater for oldest child, umbrella, some snacks, sunglasses, mints and the like, and there is still some room to play.

You could order both, fill them, and return one... or keep both
          Originally started with a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and now a 2008 Jeep Commander.

And thanks, I'm leaning towards the LCB because of the extra room. Do you ever find it uncomfortable for long carry (a few hours)?

Comment

Originally posted by kayaking View Post
            Oh and traveling which I do several 2-3 overnights of 1-2 nights each per month I've fallen in love with my night flight and packing cubes. I couple it as a personal item with my 22 inch rolling osprey when I fly. I shove the SCB in one if those bags for use at the location & carry any files or computer needs in a large shop bag once I'm on the ground.
            I was thinking of trying that the next time I fly. I like the idea of still having a normal EDC bag at my destination. I have eyed the night flight a few times and it definitely has some appeal!

Comment

Originally posted by gnarley.jeep View Post
              Originally started with a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and now a 2008 Jeep Commander.

And thanks, I'm leaning towards the LCB because of the extra room. Do you ever find it uncomfortable for long carry (a few hours)?

I find it very comfortable to carry... but I'm also 6'2" 220ish lbs. The longest I've carried it would have been 5 hours.

My other love is jeep. I'm driving a 95 wrangler. Although it'll soon be a 2017 with all the new parts going into it

Comment

Originally posted by yeg780 View Post
                I find it very comfortable to carry... but I'm also 6'2" 220ish lbs. The longest I've carried it would have been 5 hours.

My other love is jeep. I'm driving a 95 wrangler. Although it'll soon be a 2017 with all the new parts going into it
                I do love the old Wranglers, just couldn't ever get one because I like more room 😃

And good to know on the comfort. I'm about the same build and typically don't have issues with carrying for a long time but I may just have to add on the absolute strap just to be sure.

Comment

you might also add a small or medium Freudian Slip for some extra organization. the smaller sizes would add less weight, and could go in the front pocket and corral your smaller items.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Comment

While I have never found the MCB to be too heavy when carrying many of the items on your list, I have found it is tempting to overload the LCB due to the extra capacity. If you go with a LCB, I would recommend upgrading to the absolute strap.
                    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
                    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Comment

Originally posted by NWhikergal View Post
                      While I have never found the MCB to be too heavy when carrying many of the items on your list, I have found it is tempting to overload the LCB due to the extra capacity. If you go with a LCB, I would recommend upgrading to the absolute strap.
                      Thanks NWhikergal! That is one of my main concerns. I have a tendency to collect items in the bottom of my bag that hitchhike around until the next cleaning and with the larger bag I can see that happening (if you could see over my shoulder to the current EDC, my Timbuk2 Medium classic messenger with countless receipts, sticky notes, grocery lists, I'm sure countless pens 'oh that's where that wound up').
                      But the devil sitting on my other shoulder keeps whispering things like 'spare room,' 'what if you buy something?' ha ha. I think that is the dilemma most of us go through, the too much vs not enough room debate.

Comment

I finally decided to make my first TB purchase! LCB black/blue interior with the absolute strap. I figured I'd START (because I'm sure this is the beginning of a new nylon obsession) with the LCB as I have a trip to Victoria coming up Labor Day weekend. I really wanted the extra room for my camera and travel items. We are taking the Clipper for the first time so I wanted to travel as light as possible.

Comment

Working...
                        X