Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,827   Posts: 191,312   Members: 6,701   Active Members: 267
Welcome to our newest member, driph.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to Decide on an EDC Bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to Decide on an EDC Bag

My wife and I just got back from a 6000mi road trip, we drove from our home in Nashville North and West to Vancouver, then down through Seattle (Hi Tom Bihn) and Portland, then across to Salt Lake, Colorado and home... This whole time I carried a Triple Aught Design Lightspeed... But I found the size to be a little too small, and the organization to be lacking... So I thought maybe it's time to give TB a shot. Here's what I carry:

A MBP 13" Retina
    A Pouch of various tools and medicines...think leatherman, little tube of grease and one of locktite (I collect custom knives and they require maintenance sometimes in the field)
    A fixed blade knife
    A large Yeti water bottle
    iPad Mini
    Various Pens and pencils etc...
    and a camera... Either a Sony A7II or a Ricoh GR. I'd love a solution that allowed carrying the Sony most of the time, but realize that may not be possible in these bags.

I am looking at the Synapse 25, but not sure if it's what I need... It seems to have a great degree or organization that I could mold to my use... any thoughts on carrying a camera, and maybe an extra lens in one of these??

Thanks in advance,

-A

Yes, the Synapse 25 is you best bet.

Comment

I agree with rafoster: the Synapse 25 is a great choice. Depending on the lenght of your lens, you could store that one either in the bottle pocket or the main compartment. I use an ape case camera insert to protect my Nikon within a larger bag but whatever brand/type of protective layer you prefear, they will fit into the main compartment if not too deep. I use the lower front compartment for easy acces to a waterproof or extra layer if it gets chilly.

The Smart Alec would work great too, but as you mention a large Water Bottle I'd go with the Synapse, because having the heavierst weight centered helps a lot I feel.

Ilkyway
      “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkyway View Post
        . I use an ape case camera insert to protect my Nikon within a larger bag but whatever brand/type of protective layer you prefear, they will fit into the main compartment if not too deep.
        I had never heard of these. This might be just the right thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Alright, just placed my order for a Synapse 25 Black Halcyon/Iberian, Snake Charmer, and Halcyon Packing Cube Large (A30)... We'll see how it works out. :-)

-a

Comment

I learned about the ape case on this forum too. This forum is a HUGE anabler for all sorts of things ;-)

dbla I would love to hear how you like your Synapse. I alternate between a Smart Alec and a Synapse 25 and after traveling with the SA I am just back in my S25. After each swap it is like YES home!! But than after a while I start missing a feature of the other one... But I am a known bag-nutt...

Ilkyway
            “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

Working...
            X