Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,822   Posts: 191,271   Members: 6,717   Active Members: 268
Welcome to our newest member, dougwierzba2.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Synapse 25] Halcyon vs. Cordura

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lani
    replied
    I'm such a Dyneema/Halcyon fan that I don't think I could "do" Cordura...

That said, we're taking off for 10 days this weekend... spending the first half in Venice, then the second half in Paris (and will be running the inaugural Disneyland Parks Half Marathon). My plan is to pack everything into my Synapse 25 (in original steel Dyneema).

You'll all get a chuckle out of this. I'm in a discussion group for the race, and someone earlier today posted that they needed to try to limit what they take to "just" their carryon and only 5 kilograms, and people were COMPLETELY FREEEEEAKING OUT (I mean, like screaming out loud and pulling down the fire alarm level). For people who have never traveled lightly, I guess it's a totally foreign concept. Hehe.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Originally posted by egodrunk View Post
    Which material has a more rigid build? I don't like when my bags get the droopy look when it has stuff in it. The cordura looks to be sturdier.
    With the Synapse it doesn't matter so much because the bag has so much structure. I have a 19 from back in the day when they were made from 200D Halcyon (not today's 400D), and it doesn't droop. Then again, "droopy" is a subjective category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• adalangdon
    replied
    BTW. Those who are curious about the qualities of cordura vs halcyon may want to ask for free fabric samples to be mailed to them, if the bag isn't needed urgently. The samples are small squares (though I'm sure they wouldn't mind giving larger pieces?), but nothing beats having the real thing to get a feel of the colour, texture, etc.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 09-12-2016, 08:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• egodrunk
    replied
    Which material has a more rigid build? I don't like when my bags get the droopy look when it has stuff in it. The cordura looks to be sturdier.

Leave a comment:

• adalangdon
    replied
    Re pet hair-- cat hair doesn't show easily on grey cordura. I've got 2 cats at home-- 1 cow and 1 flame point (i.e. buff coloured)-- and I can't see the hair on my husband's grey/wasabi S25. It also doesn't show dirt easily, unless they're very dark marks. Grey is smart-looking and low maintenance :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by adalangdon; 09-10-2016, 08:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Saltgirl
    replied
    I carry knitting needles so cordura all the way. Halcyon gets pierced.

Leave a comment:

• bchaplin
    replied
    I don't think it's a huge problem, just something to consider. I have two cats and I use my cordura cafe bags all the time. Sometimes I have to run the lint roller over the bottom of the bag when I leave the house, particularly if the bag has been sitting on the floor. The same is true, often-times, with my clothes as well. Pet owners generally have a lint roller on hand.

All the Tom Bihn materials clean up pretty well, but the Halcyon products seem particularly wipe-able should they get really dirty in the outdoors, or from a dirty airplane bin or conveyer belt, etc... I think this is more of a consideration than the pet fur issue.

Leave a comment:

• d.markwig
    replied
    Originally posted by capncat View Post
    if there's even a remote chance you'll ever be around animals that shed, it's halcyon hands-down. cordura is a total hair and fuzz magnet, in my experience, whereas nothing of that nature seems to stick to halcyon (not for lack of trying on the part of my white cat vs my black halcyon s25). otherwise, they're both just fine! just comes down to what you prefer aesthetically.
    That's an interesting insight. I have a rather fuzzy Maine Coon.

Having said that, she hasn't spoiled my Café Bag so far. But maybe that's just a question of time ...

Thanks for all of your comments. It's rather hard to decide as I generally prefer the more "natural" feel of Cordura over Halcyon ...

Leave a comment:

• skoobdo
    replied
    Originally posted by Rocks View Post
    Halcyon any day. Unless you're carrying barbecue skewers or knives or any other poky object (why would you) the abrasion resistance is fine. The weight difference isn't great, but I prefer the texture of Halcyon over Cordura. I have an old Cordura Synapse and an original Dyneema Synapse. They both take a beating. I don't worry about either of them, but prefer the lighter and more flexible Halcyon.
    Agree 100%! Love my halcyon and how light and flexible it feels.

Leave a comment:

• capncat
    replied
    if there's even a remote chance you'll ever be around animals that shed, it's halcyon hands-down. cordura is a total hair and fuzz magnet, in my experience, whereas nothing of that nature seems to stick to halcyon (not for lack of trying on the part of my white cat vs my black halcyon s25). otherwise, they're both just fine! just comes down to what you prefer aesthetically.

Leave a comment:

• hachkc
    replied
    I have both (grey cordura & original black halcyon). I think the decision is probably more around color and look preferences. Either is plenty durable but some colors may be more prone to showing dirt, stains, etc and I think cordura may be a bit tougher to clean up if it gets dirty. Functionality and weight are basically identical between the 2 options. A black cordura vs black halycon will behave identically from my experience.

Leave a comment:

• melonpan
    replied
    i have bags in both. theyre both very tough. i prefer halcyon mostly because its much lighter.

Leave a comment:

• bchaplin
    replied
    I like Halcyon because it is easier to clean, over Cordura. I think it is a great material for a backpack. I only buy things in Cordura where I prefer it aesthetically (for my small cafe bags, for instance).

Leave a comment:

• Rocks
    replied
    Halcyon any day. Unless you're carrying barbecue skewers or knives or any other poky object (why would you) the abrasion resistance is fine. The weight difference isn't great, but I prefer the texture of Halcyon over Cordura. I have an old Cordura Synapse and an original Dyneema Synapse. They both take a beating. I don't worry about either of them, but prefer the lighter and more flexible Halcyon.

Leave a comment:

• d.markwig
    started a topic [Synapse 25] Halcyon vs. Cordura

[Synapse 25] Halcyon vs. Cordura

I'm currently in the decision process for a new light-travel-bag (1-3 days) ... I've decided to go for a Synapse 25.

Now, my question is: rather go for Cordura or Halcyon as an exterior material? (Btw: that would be either grey Cordura or black Halcyon )

Maybe people in the know can elaborate a little on their preference when it comes to weight, tear/abrasion resistance, and general durability. This is a bag that will be shoved into plane overhead compartments, travel in the footspace of busses, planes, and trains, etc.

Thanks for your insights!

Daniel.
    Last edited by d.markwig; 09-08-2016, 01:00 PM. Reason: Typo
Working...
X