Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,827   Posts: 191,313   Members: 6,701   Active Members: 267
Welcome to our newest member, driph.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying this again... Briefcase/Backpack Combination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying this again... Briefcase/Backpack Combination

Hi all,

First post. Well, second. For some reason the first one was blank after I hit post.

I searched the forums but did not find anything that quite fit my question.

I've been researching bags for quite a while and came upon Tom Bihn within the last couple of months. I am probably a terrible person for this, but I have purchased and returned at least 10 TB bags recently, looking for one that might be the perfect EDC bag.

I think I was looking for something I could bring to the office but also to the library on the weekend, etc., or light weekend-by-car trips. After some deliberation, I have decided that I really do not want a backpack for my formal workplace. It's perfectly acceptable to most here, but I still think it is awkward. I am particularly susceptible to looking like a 12 year old going to school when I have a backpack.

So I decided I will probably get the Navy/NWS cadet when it comes back in stock, and either stick with a S19 I got last week or a Daylight Briefcase. Ideally, I would love it if Tom Bihn could come up with a combination briefcase/backpack that works for the office. Topo Designs has a product that is similar to what I am talking about -- it is rectangular like a briefcase, but with attachable straps. Unfortunately, it's a bit too small for my needs and I'm hooked on the design and quality of Bihn products. I would love something I can carry with a handle while at the office, and then attach straps for after work or biking to a coffee shop on Saturdays. Something with clean lines, ballistic nylon, that kind of thing.

The Western Flyer almost fits the bill. Wow, if I had to travel AT ALL on a regular basis, this is the bag I would use. Beautiful! However, I don't carry that much with me to the office (laptop, cord & mouse, Maxped fatty organizer with EDC stuff, couple notebooks) so it's just too big.

I don't know that I have a question here. Just a thought I'd love to pass along.

Welcome to the forum zephyr!

If I understand you correctly, you looking for a convertible bag - a bag that can be used as a briefcase but has hidden or removable backpack straps that can be used to "convert" the briefcase into a backpack. Am I correct in my understanding?

What I love about the Western Flyer is that it can be briefcase and backpack and is made of the best Ballistic Nylon.

However, for something smaller and still wanting to be in the "TBverse", I have seen a slightly different approach from other forum members that could accomplish the "convertible" nature you are looking for - the "bag in bag" approach.

If you get a Daylight Backpack (DLBP) and a Daylight Briefcase (DLBC), one can fit in the pocket of the other when needing either a briefcase or a backpack. The Halcyon versions are especially good at being folded and fitted into each other while not taking up much space. Also, instead of the DLBP, you could also get the Pack Cube Backpack (PCBP).

Here is one thread that talks about this:

Using DLBP and DLBC together?

moriond also has some great posts and pictures of the DLBP/DLBC combo:

The new Black (Dark Grid) Halcyon Daylight Briefcase

You can do something similar with a Pilot instead of the DLBC is liking the Ballistic Nylon option (my favorite). See the video link below - beginning:

TB Forums Bag Hacks - Part 1

Alternately, if you like the Cafe Bags, there is a hack to take the shoulder strap and make it a backpack. Go the video link below - about 1 min 30 sec into the video.

TB Forums Bag Hacks - Part 2

Also, perhaps just go with cross-body, stabilizer strap approach. The Cafe Bags and Ristretto (my personal EDC carry) all work well that way. IMHO, the backpack configuration is mainly needed if your EDC is very heavy. If, as you mention, your EDC is light, you may not need a backpack - just an option to convert to messenger style bags.

As you may have guessed, I like convertible style bags. In fact, that is how I first got interested in bags. Even so, I have found that the Ristretto with the stabilizer strap a perfect combination and do not feel that need for a backpack option. For reference, I work in a more conservative banking environment.

From my experience, I have found that small convertible style bags are not needed as much as their small footprint prohibits you from carrying anything heavy enough to need the support of a backpack. Of course, this does not apply if you have back issues. YMMV and, of course, I am not taking into account if you like the small backpack style.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

tpnl,

Thanks for such an informative response! I actually ordered a couple DLBP last night for comparison. I really like the S19 that I got last week (still in my living room), but as you said, a backpack is generally used for heavier things. I just love the simple look of the DLBP. I like the straight lines of it compared to a regular backpack. I could see myself keeping it even if I keep the S19, maybe to keep for traveling if I have excursions on the trip, but don't want to bring an extra, full-sized bag.

I think, for work, I'm "resigned" to using the navy Cadet when it gets back into the office. I have a laptop brick that I'm not sure will fit in a Pilot, or if it does, won't let me fit in anything else. The design of the green one I looked at a couple months ago looked amazing, but I prefer another color.

Off work, since I'm mostly looking for something to bring to a coffee shop or library, I think the DLBP might actually work really well. And since I would mostly have my smaller T460s Lenovo, it isn't that heavy.

Sidenote: I could totally see using the DLBC if I traveled to different offices and wanted to have a bag I could store. I can see how you people spend all day on this site...

Comment

zephyr

Do you know what size is the "laptop brick" you mention?

Cheers!
        TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

tpnl

It's an HP Elitebook 8470p. The dimensions on HP's website are 13.31 x 9.11 x 1.34 in. It's really more "heavy" than "large." It's about five pounds.

I believe I tried it out on a Pilot but there wasn't much other room. I think Mike told me it'll fit a 6Z cache but not physically attach within a S19. Honestly I'm not too concerned about fitting it on a cache, it's fit in every TB product I've tried. It's just heavy. If anyone wants to steal it out of my apartment so IT can give me a sleek replacement, PM me and I'll give you my address.....

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by zephyr View Post
            It's an HP Elitebook 8470p.
            I'm almost certain the Pilot will fit the 8470p without a cache as there's a video with what looks to be an HP EliteBook 840 (the new slimmer version of 8470p - but not that much, I've had both) AND a 13" MBP AND power bricks. As I said, I've had both and I have a 13" MBP as well, so if both of them fit, the 8470 should easily fit.

Look at the 2 laptops sitting to the left of the person (laptops at 8m mark)

Last edited by GrussGott; 09-14-2016, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zephyr View Post
              tpnl

It's an HP Elitebook 8470p. The dimensions on HP's website are 13.31 x 9.11 x 1.34 in. It's really more "heavy" than "large." It's about five pounds.

I believe I tried it out on a Pilot but there wasn't much other room. I think Mike told me it'll fit a 6Z cache but not physically attach within a S19. Honestly I'm not too concerned about fitting it on a cache, it's fit in every TB product I've tried. It's just heavy. If anyone wants to steal it out of my apartment so IT can give me a sleek replacement, PM me and I'll give you my address.....

Brian
              I have a similar laptop and a cadet. I couldn't be happier with my choice, holds a ton with good organization up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks brian22. That's probably how I'm going to go for work. I really liked the one I looked at earlier, just needed a different color. I've got a few organization items coming in the mail. I'm hoping to get that down so I can swap out my EDC stuff from the Cadet to a backpack almost instantly.

Comment

I'd definitely recommend getting the Absolute strap - I just started using that over the Standard with my Pilot which is about 25lbs fully loaded, and it's a real game changer.

Comment

Working...
                  X