Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,581   Posts: 188,347   Members: 6,547   Active Members: 296
Welcome to our newest member, ChantalSte.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing chewing gum from S19 in ballistic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing chewing gum from S19 in ballistic

So I took my S19 in black ballistic on its inaugural voyage to San Francisco this week, and on day 2 it got attacked by chewing gum while riding the Muni back from Golden Gate Park. Google research points me to olive oil, Goo Gone(!) and even peanut butter followed by mild detergent as the way to get it out, but before I attempt any of these home remedies, I thought it might be prudent to reach out to you folks for any real life tips?
    Attached Files

Just to get things started ... I have no idea, so I"ll post so people can say I"m wrong:

* I'd be hesitant to use anything oil-based like olive oil or peanut butter as I'd be afraid it'd cause a huge stain as the material absorbs the oil
    * I'd probably try putting it in the freezer for a few hours and then use a softer plastic thing, like a recyclable spoon, and I'd try to gently scrap it off
    * For what's left, I'd use very warm water on a cotton rag and then first I'd lay the rag on to heat up the gum, then use a second warm water rag to try to gently transfer it off - i.e., don't scrub, try to brush firmly once to transfer it and then use a new section to try to transfer again.

Comment

nasty - that stuff should be banned.

Would some strong packing tape help remove it - perhaps after freezing ..

I got some quite persistent adhesive off clothing recently using tape ... took a few feet of tape but it worked.
      List under construction ....

Comment

I once had a pack of gum sort of melt and gunk up one of the front pockets of my Imago. I gave it a bath using plain castile soap and it came right out - even the oil stain from the gum.

The oil based solutions (olive/coconut oil, peanut butter) do work well to get gum out of things, and dawn dish soap works wonders on oil stains if regular soap doesn't take care of that.

Comment

https://www.cleanipedia.com/gb/laund...m-from-clothes

Website for getting chewing gum out of fabric.

Of all the recommendations on that website, I would either do freezing, or vinegar. Stay away from lemon juice. It's a bleach and there's not telling what it would do to the color. And mayo just sounds gross, especially since it's oil and lemon and eggs.

Vinegar, on the other hand is amazing. I use it to clean the metal parts of my sinks when they start to show mineral or soap buildup. They get nice and clean and shiny. Vinegar also removes rust or mineral stains from the porcelain parts of my sinks. It's also great for getting soap out of wool or silk clothing in the final rinse of the wash. Great rinse for your hair, too. Go with distilled white vinegar only. It won't stain, and it won't smell after you rinse it out.
          Last edited by BWeaves; 10-25-2016, 12:03 PM.

Comment

I'd try a freeze approach first. Lay an ice pack on that spot, maybe wrapped in a facecloth, for a while and then scrape it like GrussGott talked about. I don't think you'll risk damage to the fabric.

An oily adhesive cleaner like GooGone is great on hard nonporous surfaces but I would hesitate to use it on fabric unless other options had already failed.

Comment

Oh BUGGER! My first though was freeze it too. But I am not sure it would work with the gum beeing so "streche out". Please, if your time allows, let us know what worked.

So sorry this happend to you. Gum on bag is one of my pet-peeves and the reason why I hesitate puting bags under the seats :0 but I do realise I am being sille ;-)

Ilkyway
              “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

I've had success using an ice cube to get the gum pliable and then picking at it with your fingernail; it's gross, but it beats the alternative of leaving the gum in place

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi everyone - thanks for all the advice and tips. Finally got home yesterday (my SF trip was followed by a business trip across the Pacific). The good news is that quite a bit of the gum had worn away over the course of the last two weeks. The bad news is that what was left, was well ground into the fabric. I put it in the freezer overnight, and took it out this morning to attack. Picking it off didn't work, so I went with olive oil, and finished by washing it with dish detergent and hanging it to dry. It's not good as new, but much better than it was.

Comment

TravellingOttawan I was hoping for better knews but thanks so much for the follow up. Glad you could reduce it substantially though.

Ilkyway
                    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

Yeah, I think freezing the gum only really works for a fresh wad, not ground in dregs.

Comment

Working...
                      X