Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,676   Members: 6,660   Active Members: 268
Welcome to our newest member, lesleypelka.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on a backpack for hiking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on a backpack for hiking

I have several bags already for everyday use and travel ( AE45 & 30, copilot, daylight briefcase, small cafe). What I'm needing is a daypack meant for hiking. I have an osprey that I take on long backpacking trips but would like something for my day hikes that can handle water bottles, snacks, change of clothes, rain gear, first aid kit, etc. Any suggestions as to what works for you as a daypack?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use a Synapse 19 for summer day hikes; here's a post about my packing list, which is mostly the same three years later. Sometimes I'll take a Daylight Backpack, especially on shorter hikes or walks.

As we ease into late fall / winter, I find I'm taking my Guide's Pack on most hikes, especially when I'm hiking up in the mountains. I'm actually planning on going on a hike tomorrow and snapped this photo of my current Guide's Pack packing list:

Click image for larger version

Name:	guides-pack-load-out.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	300653

Yes, I really carry a large Stanley (hot tea) and a full water bottle. I don't mind carrying extra weight in exchange for those luxuries. Depending on the hike and the conditions, I may or may not bring the water filter.

Ichiro's head is obscuring my rain pants in the photo/load out. I think he came over while I was taking this photo because there's a bag of One Spoiled Dog Treats near the top there. I'm carrying a full bag or two of these treats lately because Lily's (my other dog) osteosarcoma is advancing and some days she doesn't have much of an appetite -- except for these treats!

What's potentially missing from this photo is Big Red (a huge puffy red Feathered Friends vest that, through some miracle, I found used at Seattle's Second Ascent for an amazing price... maybe because it makes the person who wears it look like a giant tomato; I pack it in my car bag and sometimes end up stuffing it into my bag if I'm feeling I'll be extra cold, or I let someone else borrow it) and lunch I might or might not make it home beforehand or pick up on my way to the trail (a sandwich or slice of pizza or something).

All of my first aid and emergency stuff is in the red First Aid Kit.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

I just love the Ichiro photo bombing. Made my afternoon. What a sweet face!
      Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is my Black Halcyon Zeitgeist with a Cobalt Cerylon 3DOC as my "purse"/

Comment

Much loving care to Lily, Ichiro and Darcy!

It is so good that you found treats that boost Lily's appetite.

Ichiro photo modeling: "If I look gorgeous and sweet, can I have a treat?" pose is precious.

Happy Trails with dogs and tea! Darcy.

<3

Comment

At first glance, the guide's pack seemed too big but after looking at posts and pics, this may be the bag for me. I'm heading up to Mt. Leconte in the smokies next month for a couple days I think this might work!

Comment

Last week I dismissed the SA because it lacked a padded hip (but now one is available), so instead…
            REI Trail 30: car camping and heavier hiking (e.g., DSLR), travel bag, maybe an emergency bag when idle

I also have an Osprey for backpacking and a Deuter for EDC and lighter hiking.

(The SA missed it's chance; I'm waiting to try a Co-Pilot as my next TB bag.)

Comment

Done! Just bought the guides pack and can't wait!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sturbridge View Post
                I just love the Ichiro photo bombing. Made my afternoon. What a sweet face!
                Okay, twist my arm, I’ll share more Ichiro photos…..

Here’s my favorite this year so far. Everywhere we go — whether that’s a city park or a trail or a friend’s house/yard — Ichiro must stop and roll in patches of grass. People initially think he’s found something gross to roll in but, in fact, he selects only the most pristine, dry, and soft or thick patches of grass to roll in. He is the essence of bliss when he's rolling in the grass.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ichiro-grass.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	300656

Originally posted by backpack View Post
                Much loving care to Lily, Ichiro and Darcy!
                Thanks backpack! I am glad you got to meet the dogs way back when

Originally posted by heatherj View Post
                Done! Just bought the guides pack and can't wait!!!
                Yay! Let us know how it ends up working for you either way.

As a side note, I find I’m really enjoying carrying the extra weight in my pack, which hasn’t always been the case for me. It’s more of a workout and I’m rewarded with some hot tea at the end. And my binoculars came in handy: I watched an American Dipper for a while on the river.
                Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
                  Okay, twist my arm, I’ll share more Ichiro photos…..

Here’s my favorite this year so far. Everywhere we go — whether that’s a city park or a trail or a friend’s house/yard — Ichiro must stop and roll in patches of grass. People initially think he’s found something gross to roll in but, in fact, he selects only the most pristine, dry, and soft or thick patches of grass to roll in. He is the essence of bliss when he's rolling in the grass.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16822[/ATTACH]

Thanks backpack! I am glad you got to meet the dogs way back when

Yay! Let us know how it ends up working for you either way.

As a side note, I find I’m really enjoying carrying the extra weight in my pack, which hasn’t always been the case for me. It’s more of a workout and I’m rewarded with some hot tea at the end. And my binoculars came in handy: I watched an American Dipper for a while on the river.
                  So wonderful to see Ichiro, he looks so handsome and happy!

I am due for a a return visit.

What kind of binocular do you use, Darcy?

Comment

Working...
                  X