Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,582   Posts: 188,361   Members: 6,552   Active Members: 301
Welcome to our newest member, MerryAlcal.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little Swift vs. Swift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little Swift vs. Swift

I'm the proud owner of an Aubergine/Wasabi Swift, which I use as my summer bag (only because it doesn't have a zipper and I don't want snow/rain getting into it). It's often seemed a bit large for me, so I'm considering getting a Little Swift in Black Halcyon (when it is available).

Those of you who own both: Can you talk to me about the difference in size? Is it really significant? I have really trimmed down on what I carry every day, so I think it might be the best fit.

I've also recently gotten rid of a few bags, as I am decluttering. So now I'm down to a few Vera Bradleys, my Swift, a Fossil bag & a couple tiny bags for travel.

Nice to have you back ladyinblack1964, can I aks if/how your trip to London was? For me London is the biggest City I have so far been to.

As for your question: the Little Swift is substantially smaller than the Swift. I did a size comparison between the two Swifts and the two Shop bags once. If I can find that picture or that post I will link it here. The LS holds less than a Small Shop Bag if that is a bag you have seen/used/owned.
    But what I feel open todes are very good at: I can always put my jacket or scarf or other large item of clothes that I want to not wear at that moment across the top of the opening meaning it does not have to go inside where it would take up valuable space.

Maybe you could list what you want to pack or messure the largest item for us to test?

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...tml#post110399 Not the post I was looking for but here you can see them side by side.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

Hi, Ilkyway! Thanks for the warm greeting!

I had a great time in London, and I'm going back for 10 days this coming spring. I took a side trip to the Cotswolds, which was wonderful, too.

I have a SSB which I like very much. In fact, I took it to London, and it was more comfortable to carry than any of the other bags I had with me (including a hip pack). I had an awful time with carrying stuff; my back was killing me (you may recall last spring I started having issues).

I'm also hoping with the LS in Halcyon, it will of course weigh less and be easier for me to carry. My back does not bother me as much lately, but if I walk around with any kind of shoulder bag for any length of time, it does start to hurt. I've found the SSB and the Swift are not so bad. I think it may have s/thing to do with the length of the handles. If anything goes as low as my hips, forget it!

I'll try and take a photo of what I carry every day when I get home. But in the meantime, the largest and heaviest thing in my EDC at the moment is my camera, in its case. It's a Lowepro soft-sided case, measuring approximately 5.75" x 4.25" x 3.5".

Comment

A bad back I sadly can relate to. Hope it keeps getting better.
        Glad you loved the trip and are going back. I started traveling a lot more than I used to due to this forum and I love it.

As for your camera: My Traveler's notebook is larger on all three diamentions and it fits fine. So your Camera will definatly too with room for smaller items around and maybe softer items underneath.

Ilkyway
        “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

Comment

The Little Swift is quite small, and tucks neatly under my arm carried on my shoulder. It never feels as though rain would get in carried that way.

I often carry it for work with a small folding umbrella, a medium diary and a wallet. I can also stuff a jacket into there if I want to, or if there's lots of stuff in there carry the jacket slung across the top, and it can hold a lot of stuff if needed, (I've shoved a laptop in there, fairly large textbooks, big water bottles - ooh, just had a thought and checked and yes, can put a pair of running shoes in there as well! (I wear 7.5s and it would take shoes up to an inch longer easily.))

Can you tell I am in love?

Audrey

Comment

The Little Swift is an amazing bag. It feels much smaller, lighter and less obtrusive than the larger version. You can still fit a lot in there, and of course, as with the bigger Swift, it's so accessible. My favorite thing about it is how easy it is to scoop everything out and transfer to a new EDC. One of my favorite good weather bags!
            ----
            All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
            Edmund Burke

Comment

I can not find the post I did, but I still have the pictures so here they go:

I should have gone for a different colour of shop bags... but hey oNordic...
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Größenvergleich.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	858.2 KB
ID:	300814

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aubergine Swifts.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	300815

Ilkyway

ETA: in the LSB and the Swift there is the sofa cushin inside the bag. It is the same size cusion that the one behind the LS.

Comment

I always like to point people to the Indigodragonfly blog page review of the Little Swift for pictorial comparisons of the Little Swift and Swift, including pictures of the two bags being carried by people of different height. (Note: this review was written in 2010, when the Little Swift debuted, so the Kiwi and Indigo color options shown there are no longer available, and the small yarn stuff sack design has changed a bit since then)

HTH

moriond

Comment

Very helpful!! Thank you.

I never got around to photographing the items I carry every day, but It sounds as if I will have no problems at all. I never carry sweaters or shoes in my Swift. The only garment I'll carry around in summer is a foldable sun hat in the little stuff sack that came with the bag.

I do tend to carry bags right up under my armpit, so perhaps worrying about rain is silly.

Comment

Oh, one more question: Will a Halcyon Little Swift tip over?

Comment

Originally posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
                      Oh, one more question: Will a Halcyon Little Swift tip over?
                      I have an old original Black Halcyon/Iberian LS and while it slightly "slouches" when empty in comparison to my old ballistic LSs, it doesn't fold over or tip like my Swift does. When filled, it's fine. I don't put a lot in the clear side pockets (iPhone 6, lip balm, pens), but if you tend to fill them with heavy items, then that will make them "droop" a bit from the weight of the items. I ordered a Nordic Halcyon/Monarch LS which will be a fun color-combo!

Comment

Working...
                      X