Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,766   Posts: 190,570   Members: 6,642   Active Members: 253
Welcome to our newest member, vihattechin.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new Synapse 19 strap placement - measurement please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello guys,

I've read in other threads that the S19 has reverted the strap placement to "the older one", which is more suitable for petite folks (like me), but also, it isn't as close as before (or something along those lines), but closer than the wide placement ones

I was wondering if you could upload a picture of the new placement (with a ruler?) or measure the new placement on your new S19.

Much appreciated!!!

I'm sure one of the mods (moriond ) will be along shortly, but in the meantime this is a pretty good thread ("Bewbs") to read regarding the strap placement.

And here is my post on that thread (#27) with pictures showing the measurement of the gap between the straps for different models, as well as images of how a couple different models of S19 fit on me.

Hope you find one that works for you!!

Comment

Originally posted by haraya View Post
      I'm sure one of the mods (moriond ) will be along shortly, but in the meantime this is a pretty good thread ("Bewbs") to read regarding the strap placement.

And here is my post on that thread (#27) with pictures showing the measurement of the gap between the straps for different models, as well as images of how a couple different models of S19 fit on me.

Hope you find one that works for you!!
      Thanks haraya, yes I saw your post! I want to highlight that haraya's 2 measurements are the old placement (narrow), let's call it 1st gen. And wide placement, let's call it 2nd gen. Now this one is the 3rd gen, narrow placement, but someone somewhere commented that it is between 1st gen and 2nd gen, rather than reverted to a 1st gen placement. Hope this doesn't confuse anyone...

Also, @Ilkyway commented somewhere that the new S19 doesn't have the suede pocket anymore, it is replaced with Halcyon. If you have the older and newer S19's to compare, please post the differences too! The key for me, though, is the measurement for the 3rd gen placement.

TB forums have helped me a lot in making my decisions, so I want to thank all of you kind TB'ers... because of the detail in dimensions shared, I am able to make a bulk (one-time?) purchase of what I need (errrr... want) instead of over a few purchases of trial and error (which not only hurt the pocket but also end up with a lot of frustration ...I guess that's why we all love the TB forums so much), especially so in my case, shipping is extra-expensive because I'm halfway around the world from Seattle... so a BIG hug to y'all TB'ers!

Comment

I'm 5'2" on a good day (and the last one of those I had was probably a few years ago; it really isn't fair that short people shrink, too!). Narrow shoulders (for which I compensate with my hips, but that's not relevant here). I decided to take the risk and order my first TB, a beautiful Synapse 19 in black Halcyon. So, first bag, first post.

My best measurement between straps is 4 cm., about 1 9/16 inches.

Just arrived this afternoon, and I haven't had a chance yet to load it and walk around. I think it's going to be comfortable with the sternum strap.

Comment

Posting a picture of the old and new pockets, fwiw (since Ultrasuede is not an option any more ). Here are three S19s:

- Indigo/Solar - Portable Culture - Ultrasuede pocket (gen 1.0?)

- Black Cordura/UV - Portable Culture - Dyneema (Halcyon) pocket with QR code (gen 1.5?)

- Steel Dyneema (Halcyon)/UV - "Made in USA" logo - plain Dyneema pocket (gen 2.0)

S19 pocketses

Originally posted by Chill View Post
          Thanks haraya, yes I saw your post! I want to highlight that haraya's 2 measurements are the old placement (narrow), let's call it 1st gen. And wide placement, let's call it 2nd gen. Now this one is the 3rd gen, narrow placement, but someone somewhere commented that it is between 1st gen and 2nd gen, rather than reverted to a 1st gen placement. Hope this doesn't confuse anyone...

Also, @Ilkyway commented somewhere that the new S19 doesn't have the suede pocket anymore, it is replaced with Halcyon. If you have the older and newer S19's to compare, please post the differences too! The key for me, though, is the measurement for the 3rd gen placement.

TB forums have helped me a lot in making my decisions, so I want to thank all of you kind TB'ers... because of the detail in dimensions shared, I am able to make a bulk (one-time?) purchase of what I need (errrr... want) instead of over a few purchases of trial and error (which not only hurt the pocket but also end up with a lot of frustration ...I guess that's why we all love the TB forums so much), especially so in my case, shipping is extra-expensive because I'm halfway around the world from Seattle... so a BIG hug to y'all TB'ers!
          Last edited by haraya; 12-22-2016, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wordsalsa View Post
            I'm 5'2" on a good day (and the last one of those I had was probably a few years ago; it really isn't fair that short people shrink, too!). Narrow shoulders (for which I compensate with my hips, but that's not relevant here). I decided to take the risk and order my first TB, a beautiful Synapse 19 in black Halcyon. So, first bag, first post.

My best measurement between straps is 4 cm., about 1 9/16 inches.

Just arrived this afternoon, and I haven't had a chance yet to load it and walk around. I think it's going to be comfortable with the sternum strap.
            Please let us know how it goes after loading it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just referenced @haraya's post. 2" apart = 5.08cm (though if you look at the picture taken it's 2" and a bit more.
              Per @wordsalsa's post, 4cm = 1.57"

I just measured my S19 with wide placement, it is about 2 and 1/8 inches, which converts to about 5.4cm (slightly rounded up).

I hope the new strap placement resolves the uncomfortable "falling" straps...
              Last edited by Chill; 12-22-2016, 11:51 PM. Reason: added pic

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0790.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	300963Sorry, still haven't found the time to play with my bag, but figured I'd upload my photos of the strap placement measurements for you to see the evidence.
                Last edited by wordsalsa; 12-26-2016, 08:13 PM. Reason: duplicate photo

Comment

butterfingers here ... a photo of cm. measurement, which looks like what TB must be using.

Comment

Thank you wordsalsa! It looks like 1.5"

But the pics in the last post (the cm) didn't show?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

trying again!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0791.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	300967

Comment

Thanks wordsalsa! Your measurement photos are very appreciated!!

Have you tried your S19 yet ;D

Comment

Just in the house, as yet, Chill. The straps feel a bit stiff compared to the old REI woman-specific book bag I've been carrying around. So I'm still dithering about whether to keep it and have faith that the straps will soften some over time -- or send it back.

Comment

Originally posted by wordsalsa View Post
                            Just in the house, as yet, Chill. The straps feel a bit stiff compared to the old REI woman-specific book bag I've been carrying around. So I'm still dithering about whether to keep it and have faith that the straps will soften some over time -- or send it back.
                            From my experience, the straps will "soften", actually they aren't soft, but they will season with use. Perhaps you can try carrying a heavier load -- not necessarily to pack it full, but to put denser items (like gold bars hehe), so that you can feel the straps better and the bag against your back.

Comment

Thanks Chill. I carried the bag today on a 3-mile walk. It was comfortable -- but over a jacket, and only with the sternum strap connected. Without the sternum strap, the outside edges of the straps actually reach the side of my arms and feel hard. Not painful, but they're there. And without the fleece I was wearing, might rub. The shoulder straps on the women-specific REI bag I have are more padded and they curve in slightly more, which is better. But I've decided to bite the bullet and keep the Synapse 19 and have faith it'll keep getting better. Sucker for the organizational beauty of it. Especially the water bottle pocket.

Comment

Working...
                              X