Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,682   Members: 6,662   Active Members: 270
Welcome to our newest member, lesleypelka.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you use and pack your Side Kick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you use and pack your Side Kick?

I use mine for birding. I am VERY new to this activity.

I had tried to make the SE work, but it was just too small. I tried a PCSB with a camera insert to give it organization. It sort of works, but not quite.

I finally got the Side Kick last week. The most I packed into it:

1) Front pocket - empty.

2) Left pocket with O-Ring above - 2 spare camera batteries in a mini OP. I clipped the OP to the O-Ring hanging between the 2 pockets. Housekeys (3 keys + nail clipper on a split ring attached to a 16-inch key strap), clipped to the O-Ring above this pocket.

3) Right pocket - camera (Panasonic ZS60), no case.

4) Main compartment - pair of binoculars (Zeiss ED Terra 8x25) in a small TSS. 1 pair each of prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses in their cases.

5) Big back pocket - small DOP (carries coins + pen in front pocket; bills, etc.) clipped to the O-Ring on the far end of the pocket. COW (carries cards) clipped to the O-Ring located mid-way above the pocket.

I packed the pockets attached to the big back pocket with:
    1) Pen pockets on the left - empty; I carry a pen in the DOP from habit.

2) Middle Pocket - my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 2) - perfec5 fit.

3) Right pocket - car key.

General Verdict:
    1) Like other TB bags, the SK swallows a LOT. The downside to this is that the bag gets heavy pretty quickly.

2) When I load the bag as described above, it is too heavy to carry on one shoulder.

My solution:
    1) load the SK only with the camera, spare camera batteries, binoculars, COW (because my drivers license is in it) and prescription eyeglasses or sunglasses in a case that fits both. I will be wearing either pair. So I don't need to carry 2 cases.

2) The rest, I put in my backpack (DLBP or S19) along with a water bottle and a first aid kit. Backpack is easier to carry.

Wish:
    While I noted that the SK swallows a lot, and thus, it can get heavy pretty quickly, I still wish that Tom Bihn considers making a bigger version - the size of the PCSB would be perfect. So I can carry a small water bottle in it.

Front pocket: Travel itinerary, boarding passes that are needed immediately, coupons and shopping list, pocket calendar, name tag for work. I swap out only what I need for that day.

Main compartment: Double organizer pouch attached to a keystrap attached to a center o-ring. Contains my driver's license and one credit card in the front, and cash in the back.

Long internal pocket: Small organizer pouch attached to a keystrap attached to an o-ring. Contains my other credit cards and my insurance cards. Wrapped in aluminum foil for RFD protection.

One big pocket: Car keys on a key strap.
    Other big pocket: Small pack of tissues, lens wipes.

Pen pocket: Fisher space pen.
    Center small pocket: iPhone 5
    Other small pocket: Rubber tooth pick thingies, small dental floss, lipstick. Slip of paper for making notes if necessary.

My SK is practically empty, but the ballistic holds its shape. I have room for gloves or scarf or rain poncho if necessary in the main compartment.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 01-02-2017, 05:47 AM.

Comment

I haven't picked mine up. It's waiting for me in the 'States. Looking forward to picking it up in February.

My idea is to use it for two similar purposes:

1. In-flight organizer. I'll throw in my Kindle, phone, passport, wallet, chapstick, noise cancelling headphones, hand cream, mints, melatonin, ibuprofen, and everything else I need on a flight (maybe even a 3oz flask of whiskey!). Right now, I'm using an ebags travel pouch for that purpose. The idea is, it's small enough to just put on the side of the underside of the seat in front of me and still have everything organized. It's smaller than my briefcase, and I can just put it inside my carry-on until I'm boarded. When I've traveled business class (or sometimes long-haul coach) they always give you these little pouches of goodies, and that served as my inspiration for getting a side kick.

2. Day bag. Or, dare I say, a man-bag. I'm not a regular man-bag carrier. In part that's because in the 'States, it's embarrassing and I seldom carry around a ton of crap. But if I'm going out on a day trip while traveling, I'll want my passport, maybe a light crushable jacket, plus possibly a guidebook. At this point, well, I do it. North America is the only place where it's unusual for men to carry bags anyway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_n3h4y8R3e01rm4mpho1_500.png
Views:	1
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	300990

Comment

^^ I use a Side Effect for your #2 currently, mainly for day trips into NYC. I think the Side Kick may prove to be too purse-ey for me (not that there's anything wrong with that).
        --------------------------------

Comment

Hope @Walker doesn't mind that I stole the framework for this post:

1) (Outside) Front pocket - pocket pouch with subway pass, work ID, Oyster card, etc., if the SK is my only bag. If I'm carrying the SK in a larger bag, I'd place this somewhere more accessible on the larger bag.

2) Left pocket - lip balm, hand sanitizer and mini flashlight

3) Right pocket - cell phone

4) Main compartment - Bose earphones, spare battery for my phone, tiny notebook (now Muji), keys, and a few other things

5) Big back pocket - cash

Pockets attached to the big back pocket:

1) Pen pockets on the left - usually, 1 pen

2) Middle Pocket - Chums wallet

3) Right pocket - contact cards
          Last edited by bchaplin; 01-04-2017, 01:25 PM.
          ----
          All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
          Edmund Burke

Comment

Front compartment keys on long keystrap. Money randomly ends up there.

Attached to o-rings and kept in big divider section where iPad mini could fit.
            Mini org pouch - change
            Mini org pouch - credit cards/medical cards
            Small mesh org pouch - paper currency

Pen in holder

Apple AirPods in one of the bigger pockets.

Glasses case in middle big section.

Phone wherever it lands in the bag but mostly not in the bag at all.

Comment

So, as I unpacked my Side Kick in order to transfer stuff to my S19 for a shopping trip I documented what I had in there:

Name:	IMG_09162.jpg
Size:	955.6 KB
ID:	301023

1. Davek New York mini umbrella
              2. Tissues
              3. Pentel Super Multi-8 pen
              4. Hand sanitiser spray
              5. Zip lock baggie - mainly for the coffee cup after use, but has also held a half eaten Pretzl that was just too good to waste
              6. House key and mini loyalty cards on long key strap
              7. Micro pouch on long key strap for change
              8. Stojo collapsible coffee cup
              9. Fluffy the Unicorn
              10. Shok-Ka-Kola caffeinated chocolate
              11. MiFi - because my iPad is wifi only, also comes in handy for protracted Pokemon sessions (data is cheaper than that on my phone)
              12. iPad mini in cache
              13. Field Notes size notebook in leather cover
              14. Flashlight attached to tritium tube so it's easy to find in the dark
              15. Bellroy wallet

16. Tile and Aspro (container for soluble Aspirin) attached to .....
              17. Mini pouch containing .....
              18. Credit card sized cutlery
              19. Victorinox Nail Care Jelly Card
              20. Hand wipes

21. Hand cream
              22. Battery pack with USB output and Apple Watch charger - those protracted Pokemon sessions wreak havoc on my phone and watch batteries
              23. Micro USB/Lightning short cable

This is how it all packs up:

Name:	IMG_0915.jpg
Size:	954.2 KB
ID:	301024

The small pouch and keys go into the front zipper pocket, Fluffy and the flashlight hang off a carabiner attached to the end webbing. Everything else slots into the main compartment. I'm not sure a Ballistic SK would have enough give to pack all of this and be able to retrieve it easily, the Halcyon is perfect.

Comment

Are you sure you're not a boy scout, ceepee? You seem pretty much prepared for anything!
                A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Comment

@PaulT00 actually I was a Brownie

Comment

Originally posted by ceepee View Post
                    So, as I unpacked my Side Kick in order to transfer stuff to my S19 for a shopping trip I documented what I had in there:

14. Flashlight attached to tritium tube so it's easy to find in the dark
                    Holy cow!
                    And, isn't tritium radioactive?
                    ----
                    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                    Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
                      Holy cow!
                      Only mildly. It's long been used for glow-in-the-dark bits on watch faces and the like...
                      A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Comment

Originally posted by ceepee View Post
                        18. Credit card sized cutlery
                        I like the concept. That'd be a good addition to carry beside my spare take-out chopsticks I carry for when I need utensils and the take-out place doesn't provide any. Where'd you find them, and any idea if they're TSA approved?

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
                          Holy cow!
                          Makes ME easy to find in the dark

@Kaadk I got mine from survivaldepot.co.uk but search for SIMBA TEC CARD CUTLERY and you might find them elsewhere, they're made in Germany I believe. I always remove it when I'm flying because I wouldn't want to get it confiscated. Technically, I believe that it's not legal to carry in the UK since the knife is a fixed blade ...... however, there is a get out clause that if you can justify a need to carry then you are allowed ..... I would cite that I don't like using disposable cutlery as my justification and hope the tiny size and the fact that I'm not waving it around left, right and Chelsea would work.
                          Last edited by ceepee; 01-13-2017, 09:42 AM.

Comment

So, you're not allowed to carry any fixed blade regardless of size? Hmm, I guess that means I'll have to leave my long sword at home the next time I visit the UK. (j/k)

EDIT: so, it looks like Amazon.ca does carry the Simba Tec. Now to decide if it's for me. I rarely need to knife anyways, but fork wise, it's a lot smaller than this option I had been considering:

Portable Tableware
                            Last edited by Kaadk; 01-13-2017, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaadk View Post
                              So, you're not allowed to carry any fixed blade regardless of size? Hmm, I guess that means I'll have to leave my long sword at home the next time I visit the UK.
                              Unless you want to risk arrest and detention at Her Majesty's pleasure.. that would be a good call.
                              The UK has very strict rules about carrying knives - haven't checked the regulations recently but many types of knife, blades over certain length, particular features very illegal etc. If in doubt, the rule is generally *don't*. There used to be an offence of 'going equipped' (implicitly to do bad things) etc, or 'carrying an illegal weapon'. The law enforcement people get very twitchy about public carry of edged weapons of any sort bigger than a penknife in the UK, unless you are e.g. a gamekeeper carrying suitable tools of the trade in a secure manner while going about your business. Best just not to go there really.

If really interested, see https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives
                              Last edited by PaulT00; 01-13-2017, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X