Jonesing for a new EDC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jonesing for a new EDC

I love love love my S25, but I've recently been carrying less and less in my daily carry. The 12.9" iPad Pro and Smart Keyboard have pretty much helped me complete the transition to being 95% iOS and I did not bring my MacBook Air on a single trip in 2016. As such, I've been toying with the idea of moving toward a non-backpack for my EDC and transitioning the S25 to be my warm-weather dayhiking bag since it's beautifully broken in.

Earlier this winter, I dug my ID out of basement storage and added a Cache for my iPad Pro. It's been mostly great, but I now see why a single-flap messenger is not the ideal carry... On more than one occasion, I've nearly lost or forgotten something that's fallen out on a plane or if the bag has tipped while in a meeting.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward a Pilot and patiently waiting until the black ones are out of production. (As much as I'd like black/iberian, I'll be cool with the imminent black/northwest sky color combo.) I see this as being a great EDC choice as well as a great complement to either my A30, WF, or eBags rolling bag when I'm traveling.

I already have a Cadet, but I want (what appears to be) more depth to the bag as I always carry a water bottle (Hydro Flask 24oz or 20oz, because I know you want to know...) and often carry other "non-flat" items when traveling. The thing that's throwing me off is that the stated capacity of the Pilot is actually smaller at 13L than that of the Cadet which is 13.5L. My hope and guess is that the Pilot is more compact side-to-side and deeper front-to-back while the Cadet is more "wide and flat."

Does anyone have pics of both bags together? And on the rare occasion when I carry my MBAir and my iPad Pro, would this be feasible in the Pilot? (In theory, I could switch bags if needed on those days, but I really try to avoid that as I'm exceedingly bad at transitioning between bags...)

Thanks in advance, TB friends!
    Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Nebulous Gray/Northwest Sky) daily carry, Original, First-Run Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi) knock-around, weekend use

Special Teams/On the Bench: Daylight Briefcase (Grey), Aeronaut 30 (Black/Wasabi), Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi), Pilot (Black/Northwest Sky), Synapse 19 (Black/Iberian), Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Original Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), Ristretto (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi), Small Cafe Bag (French Blue/Steel)

I'm sorry that I don't have a cadet to do a side by side photo but I think your instincts are right to lean to the Pilot.

I've gone through the same transition as you but to a standard iPad 9.7inch and keyboard. So I went for the Co-Pilot instead. But for either size, they are compact bags with great features. I do have a pilot also and if I do carry a laptop I use it but prefer now to go as light as possible with the iPad.

As for colour, I do like the Black/NWS and Black/Wasabi. Very cool.

All the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

Thanks for the speedy response. Sounds like I'm on the right track... At this point, I actually could easily downsize to the 9.7" form factor as well, but I'd want the Pro because I'm spoiled with the Smart Keyboard and the Pencil support. Who knows what this spring will bring... My iPad and Mac are company-issued so my hope is to be able to go with the smaller iPad and maybe even the 12" MacBook. If I had those now, I'd be looking Co-Pilot, but with my current iPad that would be a tight fit.
      Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Nebulous Gray/Northwest Sky) daily carry, Original, First-Run Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi) knock-around, weekend use

Special Teams/On the Bench: Daylight Briefcase (Grey), Aeronaut 30 (Black/Wasabi), Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi), Pilot (Black/Northwest Sky), Synapse 19 (Black/Iberian), Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Original Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), Ristretto (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi), Small Cafe Bag (French Blue/Steel)

Comment

While I do not have a specific picture of only the Cadet and Pilot together, I have a few TB Briefcase bag comparison pictures:

From Left to Right: Cadet, Pilot, Makers Bag, DLBC, Co-Pilot, 13" Ristretto

From Left to Right:Co=Pilot, DLBC, Pilot, Cadet, Zephyr, Checkpoint Flyer, Empire Builder

Here are the threads they came from if you want to see more:

Which TB Bag?

In short, I agree with @Perseffect - the Pilot sounds perfect for your waterbottle, 12.9" iPad Pro with occasional MBAir carry ... and I love mine in Black/Iberian!

Hope this helps
        Cheers!
        TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

Originally posted by tpnl View Post
          While I do not have a specific picture of only the Cadet and Pilot together, I have a few TB Briefcase bag comparison pictures:

*snip*

Hope this helps
          Cheers!
          This is super helpful and gives me the perspective that I need. I should have mentioned above that I also do have a DLBC that I love except that it's a teeny bit too small for everything that I want to carry. Looking at the pics above confirm that the Pilot is likely my next TB purchase. Slightly smaller than a Zephyr, slightly thicker than a Cadet...

I'm eyeballing the colors in production right now and will pounce when it's available in black!
          Last edited by ScottE22; 02-02-2017, 03:30 PM.

Comment

It sounds like you're in the same boat as me. I have been using a S25 as my EDC for the past year and a half or so but my usual loadout has dropped dramatically since then. I posted a similar thread not long ago and it seems like you'd be perfect for a pilot. I ordered one in Navy for a testpack and am happily returning it for the Coyote version that just came back in stock. I use a 13" MBP sometimes and an iPad Pro. 9.7", at others with a Cache for each and both fit perfectly. Feel free to look at that thread for some info and some great shots of what the Pilot can hold - seems like I've nailed a great new EDC, and it sounds like you should, too.

Comment

Use a pilot as my EDC with a SP4/Keyboard, kindle, water bottle, misc. The water bottle pocket sold me on the pilot. By far my favorite feature. I've loaded not only my work SP4 but also my personal laptop simultaneously with snacks and all my other normal things. Still had room.

I bought my Pilot right before Christmas and have been super happy with it. Hell we just ordered 2 A45's for a trip to Italy in April. the masses were indeed right, can't go wrong with a Bihn Bag

Comment

Originally posted by jhnmason View Post
                It sounds like you're in the same boat as me. I have been using a S25 as my EDC for the past year and a half or so but my usual loadout has dropped dramatically since then. I posted a similar thread not long ago and it seems like you'd be perfect for a pilot. I ordered one in Navy for a testpack and am happily returning it for the Coyote version that just came back in stock. I use a 13" MBP sometimes and an iPad Pro. 9.7", at others with a Cache for each and both fit perfectly. Feel free to look at that thread for some info and some great shots of what the Pilot can hold - seems like I've nailed a great new EDC, and it sounds like you should, too.
                Thanks! I actually thoroughly scoured that thread which helped me decide on the Pilot!

Originally posted by SirPhobos View Post
                Use a pilot as my EDC with a SP4/Keyboard, kindle, water bottle, misc. The water bottle pocket sold me on the pilot. By far my favorite feature. I've loaded not only my work SP4 but also my personal laptop simultaneously with snacks and all my other normal things. Still had room.

I bought my Pilot right before Christmas and have been super happy with it. Hell we just ordered 2 A45's for a trip to Italy in April. the masses were indeed right, can't go wrong with a Bihn Bag
                It's the "TB Lifestyle." We are flying to Alaska this summer and renting an rv for a couple weeks so I may be pulling the trigger on 4 Yeomen Duffels since you can unpack 'em and then cram them into a small space in the RV. The only question is what size...

But I digress... watching with interest as one by one the "in production" colors continue making their way over to "Available."

Comment

Just got the email that the Pilot in black/nw sky is back in stock and wasted no time placing an order! I also picked up a large and small packing cube for it, a small travel tray to complement my original sized one, and a clear organizer pouch in the pen and pencil size.

Hoping it ships out today and I might have it before my trip next week...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice! I snagged my Coyote Pilot once it came back into stock and was able to give it a test run as my EDC yesterday and it worked out very well. I should probably update my thread with my findings so far, too. It handles everything I need it to, including my lunch in a lunchbox, when I go to school each day. It also succeeds in being smaller, lighter, having a lower footprint, and I hadn't even considered the fact that it would stand up on its own which is also quite nice.

Comment

Nice!!

In related news, my Pilot should arrive Monday and I have a late Monday night flight for a quick overnight to beautiful Minot, ND. I'll be casual on Tuesday so I'll be wearing my jeans on Monday night on the flight. Besides packing my "work stuff," including my iPad Pro 12.9", all I need is a dress shirt, undershirt, unmentionables, and a small toiletry kit so I'm wondering if I can one-bag it with just the Pilot.... since I'll basically be gone not even 24 hours, I won't be bringing gym clothes or sneakers so this could be a fun experiment.

It's even more important to pack light in the near term because due to a change in my territory, I had to move away from flying SWA and start taking United which means I'm at zero status, the last boarding group, and flying in steerage. And many of the places I go, I'm flying on smaller Embraer or CRJs.
                      Last edited by ScottE22; 02-11-2017, 10:10 AM.

Comment

TB purchases always seem to come in pairs.....

So my Pilot arrived yesterday and I've been getting things "moved in" from my S25 before heading out for an afternoon meeting. Now that I have it in-hand, I don't see myself using the large packing cube or small packing cube so they're going back to TB.

My original plan was to have the large packing cube available for quick overnights, but looking at the bag, that's going to be a little tight for my needs. Quick overnights may end up being S25 + Pilot instead. The small packing cube was to be for occasional use when I know I need to be ready to present to a customer. It was going to hold my Apple TV 4, power cable, HDMI cable, HDMA to VGA adapter, and an Organizer Pouch that I've come to call my "Bag O' Dongles." All of this stuff has lived in an Original Snake Charmer for quite some time, but as my kit was gotten lighter, there's an awful lot of empty room in the SC now. Trouble with the small packing cube is that it zips around three sides which is not optimal for my use.

What I ordered instead was a small Snake Charmer (and, naturally, some other accessories to make the shipping cost palatable) because I think the small SC will be a better fit for what I currently carry and, based on the dimensions, it should fit fine in the left (while facing the Pilot) front pocket when I need it.

I also ordered some zipper pulls because I was surprised none were included and a couple of hook-to-o-ring keystraps that I've been wanting for a while but never remembered to buy when I ordered something else...

And so goes the ongoing saga of the EDC update of 2017!

Comment

Working...
                        X