Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,532   Posts: 187,847   Members: 6,495   Active Members: 285
Welcome to our newest member, coorysmith.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Pilot v Co-Pilot Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rae View Post
    I only have a Co-Pilot right now, but I gave this my best shot. Kit: a packed Side Effect (close in dimensions to Vanquest Husky), a really big copy of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galxay, a mini q-kit stuffed with a Chico bag, the biggest sunglasses case I own, an Anker PowerCore II 20000 (6.3 x 2.6 x 1in), Large purple Moleskine, and a Tom Bihn Clear Organizer Wallet.
    Wow! Thanks! That's a pretty good comparison. It does look similar, and does look like the Co-Pilot could take my carry, but not have a lot of extra space. Appreciate this.

Originally posted by RDR3 View Post
    Hope this helps with size references. Boy1 and boy2 prefer the MCB, MB and LCB get swapped back and forth as a diaper bag for boy3 and DH prefers the Pilot. I use the CP when it's just me using the bag and I can keep everything organized in their different compartments. Let me know if you want more pics of the inside Have fun deciding!
    I appreciate this as well! It's really helpful visualizing it. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Pilot, as I think it has the extra space, and while I could use it for my daybag purposes, I also think I could use it for work, every now and then, when I don't have to carry a lot.

I appreciate the visualizations!
    Medium Cafe Bag; Synapse 25; Aeronaut 45; Maker's Bag

Comment

I appreciate the pics too! I've been considering a Pilot for work. I carry a SK as my purse & am wondering where it would best fit in the Pilot...any thoughts? I'm assuming it's too big for one of the front Pilot pockets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current Carry: Swift (Verde/UV), SK (Steel/Iberian) & SSC (Sitka)

Comment

Originally posted by AHesting View Post
        I appreciate the pics too! I've been considering a Pilot for work. I carry a SK as my purse & am wondering where it would best fit in the Pilot...any thoughts? I'm assuming it's too big for one of the front Pilot pockets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I couldn't squeeze my ballistic SK into one of the front pockets.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	841.7 KB
ID:	301171

Size:	740.0 KB
ID:	301172
        The SE works great in the front pockets and inside pockets.

Size:	730.7 KB
ID:	301173

Size:	565.5 KB
ID:	301174

Size:	580.5 KB
ID:	301175

Comment

Originally posted by RDR3 View Post
          I couldn't squeeze my ballistic SK into one of the front pockets.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]17601[/ATTACH]
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]17602[/ATTACH]
          The SE works great in the front pockets and inside pockets.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]17603[/ATTACH]
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]17604[/ATTACH]
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]17605[/ATTACH]
          Thank you! That's very helpful. Now,do I NEEEEED a Pilot? And if so, do I NEEEEED to buy a SE and give up my perfect SK? Or just get a MB? Decisions, decisions.
          Current Carry: Swift (Verde/UV), SK (Steel/Iberian) & SSC (Sitka)

Comment

The MB is a good bag, and I still like mine a great deal. I found that the internal organization of it didn't quite fit my requirements for a carry bag, which is why I'm considering a Pilot. The MB is good, but I don't know if it'll meet your requirements. For TB people, they serve different purposes - I'm sure I'll still find a use for both.
            Medium Cafe Bag; Synapse 25; Aeronaut 45; Maker's Bag

Comment

You know, the SK will fit in the BACK of the Pilot.

Comment

I had a similar dilemma as yours and I ended up getting both.

I got the Pilot in Halcyon first because I sometimes need to carry a laptop. It is superb with a laptop stuffed inside but without, it is too much bag for its large flat shape. The Halcyon Pilot just gets floppy when underpacked with smaller, heavier items. It goes without saying that the Pilot also likes to have its contents also be relatively flat, although items of surprising depth can sit comfortably inside. In a very minimal sleeve, the older MacBook Pro Retina 15" fits just fine, with space for glasses and binoculars and a battery pack in the main compartment. This bag holds a LOT.

I wound up getting a Co-Pilot in ballistic to complement the Pilot. It succeeds where the Halcyon Pilot fails. The smaller size plus stiffer fabric means an under-filled Ballistic Co-Pilot still looks sharp, but it's still big enough to hold a day's worth of gear. The Co-Pilot holds everything you might need at easy access during a flight or road trip.

My best feel for the sizing is that the Pilot is the correct bag for when you carry a handful of full-sized papers and/or a big 15" laptop and the Co-Pilot is for all other occasions. I would also carry the Pilot if you planned to travel very minimally and kept your clothes in a packing cube in the main compartment, as the Pilot fits perfectly under a Delta 747 with the under seat media boxes.

I am currently in the middle of a 12 day trip with the Pilot and it is a brilliant bag. Every time I go in and out of it I'm impressed with its clever design. I love this bag. But with reasonable certainty, since I will not have to carry a laptop on my next trip, the Co-Pilot will take its place.

Comment

I did the buy both and decide later thing with the Pilot in ballistic and halcyon... I ended up keeping the ballistic although it was a really really hard decision. The ballistic worked out in the end because i wanted the structure it gave with taking my laptop back and forth to work every day. I love the Makers Bag in ballistic because it gives the structure, but the MB doesn't work as well for me when i want to carry my laptop. I got an S19 in halcyon for more casual running around days. The biggest problem is wanting one of everything... in all of the fabrics.... Jealous of all of you who have many... I hope to get there one day.
                  A30-halcyon/UV,, S19-black halcyon/Island, SCB-Original halcyon/Wasabi, MCB-Halycon/Wasabi, SK-black halcyon/Island, SE-Aubergine/Wasabi, LS-Aubergine Fjord, shop bags and numerous bits and bobs in as many colors as i can rationalize

Comment

Working...
                  X