Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,582   Posts: 188,368   Members: 6,552   Active Members: 301
Welcome to our newest member, LucaDebenh.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Night Flight Travel Duffle questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a little late to the party, but I'm starting to wonder about the Night Flight Travel Duffle. For those of you who have traveled with one:

How does the Halcyon compare to the ballistic? Does Halcyon hold its shape and look sharp in this bag, or is it a little droopy vs. ballistic?

If filled to capacity, is the NFTD heavy to carry? How is the shape, in terms of "wearing it" while walking?

I've been using the Aeronaut 30 for my trips, and the problem I have is that the A30 gets heavy for me. I'm wondering if the NFTD plus a Synapse or Smart Alec would be more manageable. Has anyone tried this combo? Is it more awkward to carry two bags, or convenient in terms of dividing your things and having half of them available at your seat during the flight?

Do you have any photos of your NFTD in real-life use? There are some great TB videos already, showing what fits inside. My question is more concerned with how it looks from the outside when filled, and how it carries.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

I fly with NFTD/Imago every week. I have everything on the flight with me because the bags fit side by side under the seat. The NFTD is from the original run. I took the lining out and there is plenty of "give" in the ballistic version. I never considered dyneema, even though I love it in other bags. Even when it's packed full, NFTD still hugs me at the side/front. I put the Imago on first and then NFTD. I can angle NFTD in front of me in this configuration and maneuver really easily down the aisle and in a crowd. I find the handle strap really handy on NFTD for this purpose, whereas I never use it on Imago. One week I had a longer trip and took the A30 instead. I missed NFTD so dearly on that trip! The A30 seems cumbersome by comparison when you're used to my compact system. I am in the airport tomorrow and I can take some "in action" pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kkintea; 02-28-2017, 08:39 PM.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *

Comment

I use mine a lot:
      Recently Night Flight Travel Duffle & an ultralight trip  – fredlets travels

And for quick work trips by itself:
      2-3 days in the Tom Bihn Night Flight Travel Duffle – fredlets travels

fredletsTravels.com

Comment

The NFTD is my favorite travel bag for short trips (although most of mine are in a car). I have an original grid Halcyon/UV and it has plenty of structure to maintain its shape. I did have a ballistic one for awhile but found it easier to access the end pockets in the Halcyon one. However, I think either material works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy G View Post
          The NFTD is my favorite travel bag for short trips (although most of mine are in a car). I have an original grid Halcyon/UV and it has plenty of structure to maintain its shape. I did have a ballistic one for awhile but found it easier to access the end pockets in the Halcyon one. However, I think either material works great.
          @Amy G, with your NF in Halcyon, are you keeping the attached foam inside? Or does it maintain its shape without it?

I'm really torn between which material would be best. I do like the idea of having something that would stand upright in a hotel room or on a plane, like the Co-Pilot does, because I find it makes it easier to keep things organized and accessible. But I also like the idea of matchy bags, and my backpacks are all Halcyon.
          ----
          All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
          Edmund Burke

Comment

I will try to get a better two-bag photo. This one was a selfie because I was hesitant to ask a stranger for a bag photo...

Comment

If it helps, I've given up matching. There are too many variations of "steel". I also have both styles of black halcyon, as well as original Nordic in the mix.

Comment

All my bags are halcyon as well. I leave the foam in but the NF will maintain its structure in height fairly well without the foam. It can be compressed from the ends without the foam if there is nothing inside. That actually works well if you want to pack it empty in another bag.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	NFTD.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	301156Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160413_195213654 (2) (800x450).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	301157

Comment

Not sure how well anyone answered the weight once filled.

I carried mine (coyote ballistic/steel) filled with clothes for five days (work), a jacket, 3-1-1, and pair of sandals. I didn't weigh it but it couldn't have been more than 10 pounds. My guess is less. It was light. I also had a Large Café Bag with a computer inside and I could carry both on the same shoulder. The two bags were lighter than having it all packed inside an A30. That combo also fits nicely under the seat on the plane.

Comment

Thanks so much for all the feedback and photos; this is really helpful!
                    ----
                    Edmund Burke

Comment

One more question -- and sorry, because I'm sure this has been covered but I can't find it:
                      Does the Side Kick fit in one of the end pockets of the Night Flight Travel Duffel?
                      ----
                      Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
                        One more question -- and sorry, because I'm sure this has been covered but I can't find it:
                        Does the Side Kick fit in one of the end pockets of the Night Flight Travel Duffel?
                        Not very well. I could squeeze my empty Halcyon SK in but I think it would be difficult if it was full or Ballistic.

Comment

I have a question to tag onto this thread. I purchased an A30 a month ago and I have not used it yet, and I am a minimalist packer. While it looked small in the beginning, now it seems it might be too big for my needs, I am just not sure. The night flight being the same kind of duffel system, has anyone gone from an A30 to a Night Flight successfully?

Comment

Originally posted by anna2222 View Post
                            I have a question to tag onto this thread. I purchased an A30 a month ago and I have not used it yet, and I am a minimalist packer. While it looked small in the beginning, now it seems it might be too big for my needs, I am just not sure. The night flight being the same kind of duffel system, has anyone gone from an A30 to a Night Flight successfully?
                            I have both the A30 and NFTD. I find the A30 too much bag for 3-4 days unless I am taking extra shoes and winter wear. I routinely travel for long weekends with the NFTD and have plenty of room. My post above shows a typical packing list of 2 packing cubes for clothes, a small bag for underthings and socks and a SSK for toiletries. I can also fit womens size 7.5 Teva sandals in one end pocket. I am a middle of the road packer, neither a minimalist nor a doomsday take everything type. The NFTD is my most used travel bag which I did not expect when I purchased it.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy G View Post
                              I have both the A30 and NFTD. I find the A30 too much bag for 3-4 days unless I am taking extra shoes and winter wear. I routinely travel for long weekends with the NFTD and have plenty of room. My post above shows a typical packing list of 2 packing cubes for clothes, a small bag for underthings and socks and a SSK for toiletries. I can also fit womens size 7.5 Teva sandals in one end pocket. I am a middle of the road packer, neither a minimalist nor a doomsday take everything type. The NFTD is my most used travel bag which I did not expect when I purchased it.
                              I agree 110%. I have definitely pared down my packing after TB indoctrination, but I also did not expect NFTD to be my most used travel bag. I can go longer than 3-4 days, but on one pair of shoes. I have been traveling with a jacket in one end pocket (rolled), a 3D clear cube for toiletries and a water bottle in the other end pocket, and clothes separated in the A45 laundry stuff sack in the middle compartment.

Comment

Working...
                              X