Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,582   Posts: 188,368   Members: 6,552   Active Members: 301
Welcome to our newest member, LucaDebenh.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Night Flight Travel Duffle questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night Flight Travel Duffle questions

Originally posted by anna2222 View Post
    Thanks fredlet! Do you know of any video demos of this type of packing cube? How many compressed can you fit in the NFTD? And do you stack them vertically or lay them on top of eachother?
    I have 2 of them, let me go do some pictures hold on...

Ok here are the NFTD cube and the REI micro next to each other.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2639.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	301196

Then the micro stuffed with 8 pair of ankle socks (lol, it's what I had handy.) normally I'd pack 2-3 tshirts and leggings in one, then socks and undies + 1 more shirt in the other

Then the (mostly) full micro in the NFTD

Compare the NFTD cube with same amount of socks

I usually put the double packing cube (I have wasabi) in one end pocket, the NFTD cube in the other to contain my transcend cpap and hose then my travel tray on top of center compartment stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fredletsTravels.com
    Last edited by fredlet; 03-09-2017, 01:17 AM.

Comment

This reminds me I need to do an updated NFTD post for my latest iteration of stuff (my travel constants have evolved since my last post).
      Does anyone have a list of stuff you don't travel without in your NFTD? I'd love to compare notes!

fredletsTravels.com

Comment

And now that my NFTD's have arrived, choosing between them has been incredibly difficult:

Name:	IMG_20170310_183728.jpg
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	301215

The ballistic black/steel would not have been my first color choice. Because it's so dark inside I may "lose' things, even in so small a bag. However, the ballistic version functions better without the foam insert, whereas the Nordic Halcyon/wasabi one gets kind of saggy. Too bad, because the Nordic is so pretty, and as others have noted, the zipper on the side pockets opens more smoothly, and the end pockets seem to accommodate a bit more. Even as I type this I haven't completely made up my mind.

Had steel/UV been available when I ordered it would have been an easier decision. (Of course it is now back in stock!)

I do like the NFTD concept. I trial-packed it to hold:
        * one toiletry case in an end pocket
        * one Side Effect in the other end pocket, plus a 3D cube
        * one Eagle Creek Specter Half-Cube, either compression or regular, in the main compartment
        * a second EC cube, or an array of small pouches and stuff sacks, on top

I would probably pair it with a backpack to hold the rest of my clothes. For most of the flight situations I find myself in, this combo should be "legal". My other thought is that it can be paired with a small roller, so that even if that got checked for whatever reason, I would have my most important things, and a change of clothes, in the bag that's at my feet.

The one thing that makes me sad is that a Side Kick does not easily fit in the NFTD, particularly in the end pocket where it would be convenient. However, I get that they want to keep it personal-item-sized, and every inch matters. Obviously there are ways around this issue. I might just switch back to traveling with a Side Effect, which does fit, and a Small Cafe Bag for everyday touring.

A note about the use of the EC cubes: I already had them on hand, and when I placed the order, the TB ones sized for this bag were not in stock. Now they are back.
        ----
        All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
        Edmund Burke

Comment

I didn't even know the foam insert could be removed. When I get home from work, I gotta test pack my NFTD and see what else I can squeeze into it sans insert.
          Follow me on Twitter or Instagram @moongooseryan

Comment

I learned about that from @kkintea. If you have the patience to read back through this thread there is a lot of NFTD info!
            ---
            Actually, maybe she mentioned that in an earlier thread. But others made reference to it. Anyway, lots of great tips.
            Last edited by bchaplin; 03-14-2017, 02:09 PM.
            ----
            All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
            Edmund Burke

Comment

This is awesome. You learn something new everyday here! Almost hometime means almost trial packing time. I can't wait to take the foam out and see what else I can fit in the main compartment.
              Follow me on Twitter or Instagram @moongooseryan

Comment

I took it out Day 1 and haven't looked back. I cannot play the dangerous game of "I'll send one back". It's always "Oh, but I need TWO clearly!".

Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *

Comment

Lov the NFTD, but really wish those main compartment side panels had zippers like on the A30. Would give so much more flexibility... and (since I'm asking) I'd love a trolley sleeve like the one on the co-pilot.
                  Synik 22, Truck, Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC HLT2, Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Comment

Finally got to use my new NFTD. (I went away for a long weekend.) I was thrilled to fit all my clothes and other things in the NFTD and Synapse 19, and bragged to @ceepee about it. Then I tried to get out the door, and realized that because I was recovering from a bad cold, I needed to pack half a pharmacy to keep me from coughing incessantly, and the Synapse got too full to carry comfortably. So I transferred my clothes to my small Osprey roller, and that worked quite well for this trip, which involved just one direct JetBlue flight and a rental car. I don't mind rollers as long as I know I'll get overhead space, and I'm familiar enough with JetBlue to be assured of boarding early.

On the way there, the NFTD stored:
                    END pocket 1: iPad mini, Side Effect with wallet, cash, notebook, pens, etc., phone, earphones
                    END pocket 2: toiletry case, with a pouch of VIA packs in the smaller side pocket
                    MAIN pocket: small cube of clothes, small Snake Charmer with cords/chargers in one side, and tissues and meds in another, inhaler, baggie of cough drops, travel tray

(The suitcase had all my overflow clothes. It's a very light 19" roller and easy enough to pick up by the top handle and carry when needed.)

The other thing I should point out about the NFTD is that my sleeping quarters were somewhat cramped, and I really liked having all my odds and ends corralled in one place. It made packing up the morning I was leaving very simple, as there was little to re-pack. The NFTD lived on this office chair.

Name:	NFTD.jpg
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	301280

Of course the same was true on the flight. As others have shown, the NFTD fits great underneath a seat, and everything I needed was right at hand. I usually remember, too late, that something I wanted to have with me was left in the bag that is stored in the overhead, and that didn't happen to me this time.
                    Last edited by bchaplin; 04-11-2017, 06:38 PM.
                    ----
                    Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by Traveltech View Post
                      Lov the NFTD, but really wish those main compartment side panels had zippers like on the A30. Would give so much more flexibility... and (since I'm asking) I'd love a trolley sleeve like the one on the co-pilot.
                      This is brilliant (and could conceivably solve my shoe/magazine issues which keeps me from using it as much as I'd like.) Since the Aeronauts are being tweaked, perhaps this change could come to their little sister?!

Comment

Working...
                      X