Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,637   Posts: 189,054   Members: 6,624   Active Members: 294
MartyAuste
Forum Member
Welcome to our newest member, MartyAuste.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tom Bihn as a Diaper Bag: which do you use, how do you organize it, tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    FoxValleyDame
    Forum Member

• FoxValleyDame
    replied
    RDR3, thank you so much for the side by side photos of the S25, S19, and DLBP. That is very helpful. I was trying to gauge the visual size difference between these based on the pictures and videos on the site, but your picture is exactly what I wanted to see. I'm stuck because now I think I really need two backpacks. One smaller one for every day carry and quick outings, and a bigger one for longer outings and overnight trips. I think I will start with the S25. Just wish they had it in my first color choice of aubergine. I think my back up color choice is the black halcyon.

Leave a comment:

• FoxValleyDame
    Forum Member

• FoxValleyDame
    replied
    Originally posted by luthercale View Post
    As an aside, that exploding at inopportune times thing doesn't stop happening. I live overseas in South America and just last week was at an important meeting at the U.S. Embassy to do an interview with them to get my daughter's U.S. citizenship and passport finalized. This was a meeting we had been waiting a month for with lots of applications and supporting documents and back and forth. Well, it was finally time for the interview with me, my wife, and daughter and wouldn't you know the exact second we sat down with our in person interview with the officer ... BOOM! Explosion of all explosions (not subtle in either sound or smell). I mean, how did she know? I know most babies are smart and all, but she timed that sh#% (literally)
    This seriously made me laugh. How is it that the little ones can plan these things so perfectly? Today I put a fresh diaper on the baby right before setting her up for her 3 month photo shoot we were doing in my brand new rocking chair. She blew out the diaper within 10 minutes of starting the pictures. On the new chair that has off white fabric. And now I have it documented on camera. ��

Leave a comment:

• RDR3
    Forum Member

• RDR3
    replied
    Same water bottles, SE and PCSB fit in the S19, just a tighter fit and less space inside for your DSLR.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	569.2 KB
ID:	301239

Here's a comparison of the S25, S19 and DLBP
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	787.8 KB
ID:	301240

I find the DLBP works great as a diaper bag now that my son is older, less gear, and I'm more likely to be chasing after him than carrying him. If you have cubes and stuff sacs to organize the gear, there's less chance of the items moving around.

Parenting is truly a learning and growing process because every child is different and your life, personal and professional, is constantly changing. You just take your time adjusting to what you and your family needs to function Let me know if you need more pics. Photography is a foreign language to me but my husband has camera gear as a hobby so I can ask him and play around with different bags/configurations if you'd like.
    RDR3
    Forum Member
    Last edited by RDR3; 03-21-2017, 07:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• luthercale
    Forum Member

• luthercale
    replied
    Originally posted by FoxValleyDame View Post
    Thanks for insight! I do carry my DSLR with me in my bag and it will need a home in the new diaper bag. I haven't seen the Peak Design camera accessories before, but they look pretty nifty. I love the leash and anchors you mentioned, especially because I'm not crazy about my current strap and it seems to take up a lot of unnecessary room.

To solve the dirty clothes issue (since my little one currently seems to be plotting when she can fit in a diaper blow out at the most inopportune times) I am using a cheap small packing cube that I got on Amazon that has a built in plastic pouch for dirty clothes. I am able to pack an outfit for me and two for her in it, and stuff the carnage into the plastic area when needed.
    I think the Synpase is a great choice for diaper bag. Knowing what I know now, I would have started with that one (19 or 25 based on personal preference and how much you'll need to carry. My choice would be 19 as I like to roll as light and nimble as possible).

As an aside, that exploding at inopportune times thing doesn't stop happening. I live overseas in South America and just last week was at an important meeting at the U.S. Embassy to do an interview with them to get my daughter's U.S. citizenship and passport finalized. This was a meeting we had been waiting a month for with lots of applications and supporting documents and back and forth. Well, it was finally time for the interview with me, my wife, and daughter and wouldn't you know the exact second we sat down with our in person interview with the officer ... BOOM! Explosion of all explosions (not subtle in either sound or smell). I mean, how did she know? I know most babies are smart and all, but she timed that sh#% (literally)

Good luck with everything. It's true what everyone says - it is such a special time and it changes you forever.

Leave a comment:

• Fulton
    Forum Member

• Fulton
    replied
    I absolutely understand the desire to carry stuff. But I heartily recommend a Daylight Backpack for anyone who can get by with the size.

I found it perfect for a diaper bag. We are hopefully aging out of diapers soon, and the DLBP will remain my bag to go out with my son.

The advantage is that it is big enough to carry what I need, but smaller and easier to carry (and climb and run) than my Synapse. The key is using stuff sacks with key straps. A change of clothes. Snacks. Toys to entertain him at a restaurant. Each one fit into a sack. When they were clipped to the bag, I never lost anything. I love the bag. I preferred the Backpack to shoulder bag. And I will use ithe Daylight for long after I give up diapers.

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...iaper-bag.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• afsheen
    Forum Member

• afsheen
    replied
    I used a Smart Alec as my diaper bag, and like just about every other new parent, started out carrying everything under the sun, but eventually wound up wandering around with a mostly-empty bag by the time he was six or seven months old.

What worked for me, was carrying a Skip Hop diaper clutch, which is basically a sturdy changing pad that also holds 4 diapers and a couple travel packs of wipes (along with a roll of biodegradable bags and, if you need it, a tube of diaper cream). That was great to quickly pull out for diaper changes, and it made it very convenient to keep everything in one place.

The diaper clutch went into the main compartment of the SA, along with a dry bag holding a change of clothes, and then I kept frequently accessed stuff (sunscreen, hand sanitizer, bib, snacks) in the outside pockets, so I could get to them quickly.

I already had the Smart Alec, but if I were going to buy a new bag, I would have probably gone for the S25.

Leave a comment:

• FoxValleyDame
    Forum Member

• FoxValleyDame
    replied
    Originally posted by mcumeda View Post
    I use a Synapse 25 for my kids. I have a 2 and 4 year old. We need less stuff than you though. I have a snake charmer where I keep diapers, wipes, a bib, and hand sanitizer. It fits in the bottom pocket of the Synapse. We take it out of the Synapse and just carry the snake charmer when we need to change our two year old. I am hobbyist photographer. I always carry a small mirrorless camera and strap. I have attached two Peak Design anchors that I can attach my camera strap to if we need to change her hands free. I use a Peak Design Leash. It is tiny and can fit in the palm of my hands rolled up.

I would just use some ziplock bags for extra clothes. If they spit up and need a change, I wouldn't want those clothes to roam free in my bag.
    Thanks for insight! I do carry my DSLR with me in my bag and it will need a home in the new diaper bag. I haven't seen the Peak Design camera accessories before, but they look pretty nifty. I love the leash and anchors you mentioned, especially because I'm not crazy about my current strap and it seems to take up a lot of unnecessary room.

To solve the dirty clothes issue (since my little one currently seems to be plotting when she can fit in a diaper blow out at the most inopportune times) I am using a cheap small packing cube that I got on Amazon that has a built in plastic pouch for dirty clothes. I am able to pack an outfit for me and two for her in it, and stuff the carnage into the plastic area when needed.

Leave a comment:

• mcumeda
    Forum Member

• mcumeda
    replied
    I use a Synapse 25 for my kids. I have a 2 and 4 year old. We need less stuff than you though. I have a snake charmer where I keep diapers, wipes, a bib, and hand sanitizer. It fits in the bottom pocket of the Synapse. We take it out of the Synapse and just carry the snake charmer when we need to change our two year old. I am hobbyist photographer. I always carry a small mirrorless camera and strap. I have attached two Peak Design anchors that I can attach my camera strap to if we need to change her hands free. I use a Peak Design Leash. It is tiny and can fit in the palm of my hands rolled up.

I would just use some ziplock bags for extra clothes. If they spit up and need a change, I wouldn't want those clothes to roam free in my bag.

Leave a comment:

• xtoq
    Forum Member

• xtoq
    replied
    Doh! Reading comprehension was low yesterday. XD

Leave a comment:

• FoxValleyDame
    Forum Member

• FoxValleyDame
    replied
    Everyone's suggestions so far are great. I haven't purchased anything yet, so it really helps to hear from experienced parents who already have "tried and true" methods of diaper bag organization. Since I am a new mom, I seem to still be living by the method of having every conceivable item that could possibly be needed conveniently stashed away in my diaper bag. With time and practice I'm sure I can cut down to more streamlined methods like those mentioned here. I'm still leaning towards the synapse, as it seems like it would be the best for an every day carry bag for me to keep my hands free. It sounds like a packing cube or two inside will help me out my diaper "kit" together best for convenient use. Plus the side kick to use for my personal items. Any other suggestions are very welcome!

Leave a comment:

• luthercale
    Forum Member

• luthercale
    replied
    Somewhere in Ambato, Ecuador, a nice taxi driver is strutting around with a beautiful purple Parental Unit (and an ultralight Android smartphone). Enjoy brother!

Like a previous poster, I also cut the normal kit down to a Eagle Creek Specter Cube with just the basics (changing pad, some extra diapers, a little cream). This made it super easy to throw into whichever bag was being used that day (or sometimes no bag at all, just the cube in the pocket of the stroller). It also made it easy to share duties back and forth between me and my wife when out and about.

I got my wife a beautiful blindingly pink GoRuck bullet (10L) to use as a minimalist diaper bag, but she ended up always grabbing the red Synapse 19 for the extra space it provided.
    luthercale
    Forum Member
    Last edited by luthercale; 03-19-2017, 09:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RDR3
    Forum Member

• RDR3
    replied
    We had space inside to put a soft sided insulated bag for pumped milk and put a mug with hot water in the middle water compartment to heat up milk when we were on the road. This boy3 had a lot more GI issues than my other 2 so we pack everything he may need when we travel. When we took him to Disneyworld 2 years ago, I split up his things into a Co-Pilot that I hung on the stroller and S19 on my back.
    Hope you find the bag that fits your needs

Originally posted by FoxValleyDame View Post
    Thank you for your reply and photos! I was on the fence about the S19 vs the S25, and I'm glad to hear that you settled on the S25 as well for the same space reasons I was considering. I like your use of the PCSB as a mini diaper bag or a grab and go changing bag. I'm thinking that might be a good option as well. Also It looks like the bottles fit perfectly in the side pockets. Now if only that middle back pocket was insulated, and there were o rings on the top of the back panel (for stroller straps) it would be the world most perfect diaper bag IMO.

Leave a comment:

• yeg780
    Forum Member

• yeg780
    replied
    I know you are asking for a backpack but I thought I'd throw in what I do for a diaper bag.

I use a LCB. Inside I have a rolled up change of clothes, 3 diapers, some snacks, and some hand sanitizer. The inside has plenty of room to spare. The outside has the change pad with a pack of wipes. Zipper pocket has a multi tool, spoon, and a few odds and ends.

The LCB works perfect for my situation. That being said, I'm only ever away from home for a few hours so I'm not needing a cooler or anything like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• terayon
    Forum Member

• terayon
    replied
    Over time I actually found that I carried less and less paraphernalia for the kids because I usually just didn't use it. Eventually I settled on a Clear Quarter Packing Cube (I believe I've posted pics but I just can't get the search function to find them) with about three diapers, a wipes package with about a dozen wipes, a little bottle of hand sanitizer, change sheet (not a pad, just a plain sheet with waterproofing on one side, so it folded up very small), two rolled-up sets of clothes (one for the baby, one for the older kids), and one t-shirt for me. This diaper kit went into whatever bag I carried for the day with my own stuff - usually a Synapse 19 (I prefer backpacks when out with kids too).

I preferred this because I could just take the diaper kit out and hand it to my husband if he was going to change the diaper, or leave my pack with him and just take the diaper kit if I was doing it. It also was easy to make sure it got restocked when I got home, and if I was leaving the kids with my mom, I could just hand her the diaper kit and she'd have what she needed for them and I'd have my stuff. It's sort of the reverse of what you're thinking - instead of leaving the bag with the kid and taking the kit (Side Effect) for you, I left the kit with the kids and kept the bag with me.

I think a Cache for a change pad is overkill myself, but YMMV of course. There are lots of places in the Synapse to stash things like that. A bottle will fit in the water bottle compartment (of either size Synapse) easily, and a small cooler will be able to fit in the main compartment.

I dearly love both my Synapses, but I don't think a kid will be able to manage a S25 until they're quite a bit older - it's a big bag even for me. The 19 is still big on my eight-year-old (she's pretty petite, mind you). If you are a backpack person, you may find that even when the kids are older, you still prefer hands-free bags. Personally I would pick the bag that works for me rather than planning to pass it on - though these bags are so useful and well-made that I suspect you'll be able to pass it on anyway if it's not your thing in a few years.

Leave a comment:

• FoxValleyDame
    Forum Member

• FoxValleyDame
    replied
    Originally posted by xtoq View Post
    Have you looked into the Parental Unit? It's a TB diaper bag, although it has appeal past the diaper stage or for those who don't have kiddos.
    The parental unit looks great, but I want to go with something that is a backpack style to keep my hands completely free, and to help offset the weight of the baby on my chest when I have her in the carrier. I used a backpack diaper bag in Costa Rica and it was a life saver, especially when it seemed like I had a thousand things to carry plus baby!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X