Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,582   Posts: 188,358   Members: 6,552   Active Members: 301
Welcome to our newest member, MerryAlcal.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you have similar bags, do you ever grab the wrong one out of the closet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that I have an A45, I'm thinking about getting an A30 for shorter trips. That raises the question of what color it should be! On the one hand I like the Aubergine/Island combo of my A45 and could happily choose that combo for an A30 too, but on the other hand I'm concerned I'd get them mixed up (pull the wrong one out of the closet, and so forth). If you have multiple bags in the same color combo and similar styles to each other, have you had trouble with mixing them up?

(I'll probably go with ballistic again for this, but I'm not absolutely set on it.)

P.S. If bag confusion is an issue, of course there would be ways around it--put different luggage tags on them, put cord zipper pulls on one and not the other, etc. But I'm curious whether it even is an issue or not, and if it is an issue, what others do about it.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Okay, so you pull the A30 out of your closet when you want to use the A45 ... you realize it's not the right bag so you put it back and grab the 45. You're not factoring in the scale and proportion of different sizes and how that affects how each bag looks and feels. Height, width, depth, and weight all are immediate indicators of what bag you have in your hand just as much as color.

I say this as someone whose TB collection is almost all burnt orange or zest, and now with a sprinkling of black halcyon. That's a lot of orange to potentially confuse. I have never confused my S19 for 25, my mini Q-kit for my small, my small OPs for my Mediums, or my sizes 1-3 zest stuff sacks. Do other people? Yes, all the time. But I know my bags, so it's never been a problem for me.
    Last edited by Aeon; 03-29-2017, 06:47 PM.
    Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

EDC: Side Kick, Everday Cubelet, DL PCSB (planner pouch); Travel: Smart Alec + Side Kick, Small Yeoman Duffel

Comment

I keep my A45 and A30 together in the closet. They are both black ballistic nylon. However, the size difference is enough I never confuse them when reaching for one.

Now I have packed one completely and then decided to switch to the other. I do that quite a bit. [emoji1]. That is the biggest issue with having both -- deciding which to use!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you both! And @sujo, I expect I'll also do the "pack one and then decide to switch to the other." :-)
        I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Comment

We had this happen ones: I have the A45 and A30 both in Aubergine and my husband was packing for the trip. He was suposed to use his and my A45. When I came back from some errands there was a relaxed A45 in Forest and a very stuffed and stressed looking A30 in Aubergine. I asked why he took the smaller of my Aeronouts. His look went from buzzled over denaile to stubbern "now we are yousing this one".

Mind you my A45 has a Steel lining amd my A30 a Wasabi but these kind of details tend to escape him.

Ilkyway
          “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

I don't confuse the bags. You pull out both and it become apparent which one is larger.

However, I'm in the camp of packing one and then deciding that everything will fit better in the other one.
            But since everything is in packing cubes, it makes it easy to swap to the other bag (unless I also need to change which packing cubes I'm using, and even then it's not a big deal).

Empty TB bags are light compared to pulling a rollaboard out of the overhead in my closet and then realizing I drug out the wrong one.
            Last edited by BWeaves; 03-30-2017, 07:25 AM.

Comment

@ Ilkyway: Details, details. :-)

@ BWeaves: ...I suppose you're right, it would be lighter than pulling out the wrong rollaboard! But my rollaboards look distinct enough to me, even though they're the same color, that I never pull out the wrong one. Maybe that will be the way with Aeronauts too. (My rollaboards are a color that's even prettier than Aubergine! I know those may be fightin' words around here, though. They're the old Sunset color from Briggs & Riley, it's this glowy burgundy.)

Comment

Working...
              X