Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,586   Posts: 188,402   Members: 6,562   Active Members: 320
Welcome to our newest member, mednowlabs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synapse 25 in ballistic nylon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synapse 25 in ballistic nylon...

Hello all. I have been researching backpacks for several months (mission workshop, chrome, north face, timbuk2, some other ones I'm forgetting) and landed on Tom Bihn for about a month now. I did not like the synapse initially (really liked the smart alec initially but it would be completely too big for every day) but the more I researched and look at pictures and videos that more I wanted it. I thought that the black halcyon version would be for me but the more I looked at it, the more it seemed to be very "upscale" in pictures. As in, something to wear professionally going to the office, to meetings, etc. None of the pictures I've seen of the cordura version gave it justice until I saw pictures of it up close--it looks rugged, durable, and more every day? I also noticed that it attracted dust a lot. I was still leaning towards the halcyon but now that the ballistic nylon version has been announced, I'm wondering if anyone could give me advice on which would be better or how cordura differs from the ballistic nylon. The bag is for daddy (me!) but I intend to use it as a "family bag", diapers, wipes, bottles, water, medicine, and maybe some paperwork I may need and for some weird reason the halcyon looks like it is a "dress up" bag while the cordura looks like a "let's go to the playground" bag

I guess my questions are: does the halcyon version actually look "upscale/office" in person or did I just stumble on some pictures that made it look so?

Is halcyon as durable as the other fabrics? I saw some posters note that having the halcyon version on the floor/dragging or sliding it may cause damage? I wouldn't be dragging it but don't want to be gentle (?) with it.

Will the ballistic nylon attract dust and lint as much as the cordura? What are other differences between them to warrant having the ballistic nylon and the cordura offerings? Is ballistic nylon easier to clean?

Does ballistic nylon sound cool to anyone else?

I apologize and realize that the durability questions have been asked numerous times in the forums before but I'm asking again.

Thank you all for any help and advice!

First, yes, the Halcyon (particularly in black) is completely office-appropriate, IMO. It repels dust better than cordura, and is very strong. But as Tom Bihn explain (if you poke around on the site and look at their descriptions of the fabrics), it is slightly less abrasion resistant. Probably not an issue for a backpack, but something to consider.

HOWEVER, as you found out, TB just introduced a new ballistic fabric, which the Synapse will be made in, along with the existing options of Halcyon and cordura. I can't speak about it from personal experience because I haven't seen it in real life, but it sounds very promising. They will be produced in mid-August, and the first batch will probably fly out the door quickly, so if you decide you are interested you may want to keep an eye out for the release.

Personally, I have a Synapse 19 in Black Halcyon and don't expect to replace it. It seems durable enough to me and I love how light it is. But if I was making the decision for a new bag I might go with the new ballistic, particularly if there was a color combination that really appealed to me.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Comment

Hi Nef and welcome to the forums!

The knew Balistic does not attract dust ur hair like cordura does. In that regards it is comparable to Halcyon.

I feel black Halcyon is very much both: smart looking but also at home everyplace else. My husband, a farmer, uses a Black Halcyon S25 and is very happy with it.

BUT I personaly am so exited I can not wait ti get a S25 in the knew Balistic. The Material is more structured than Halcyion and more robust (though Halcyon is plenty robust too!). Be aware though that some of the Balistic colours have a sheen to them not sure about black but hopefully @tpnl or @moriond can weigh in on that.
      I think the knew Balistic is kind of the best of both worlds: thin enough to be made into Synapses for example (the 1050 Balistic did not work there) but durable and colourfull like Cordura.

To summ up: I think you can be happy and not feel „overdressed“ with Black Halcyon. But if you have the petiance the knew Balistic might be what you are hopeing for.

HTH
      Ilkyway
      “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

Originally posted by Nef View Post
        I guess my questions are: does the halcyon version actually look "upscale/office" in person or did I just stumble on some pictures that made it look so?

Is halcyon as durable as the other fabrics? I saw some posters note that having the halcyon version on the floor/dragging or sliding it may cause damage? I wouldn't be dragging it but don't want to be gentle (?) with it.

Will the ballistic nylon attract dust and lint as much as the cordura? What are other differences between them to warrant having the ballistic nylon and the cordura offerings? Is ballistic nylon easier to clean?

Does ballistic nylon sound cool to anyone else?

I apologize and realize that the durability questions have been asked numerous times in the forums before but I'm asking again.

Thank you all for any help and advice!
        Here is a picture of my 400d Halycon S25 and 525d Ballistic Nylon S25 (and Deep Blue S19).

To answer you questions:

I have used my Black Halycon S25 at work for a year now and it is perfectly fine in my financial sector office environment - actually gives a bit on extra interest - like stripes on a business shirt. IMHO, or sleekness of the backpack contributes to its look in my work environment.

You are correct that the Halycon version is not as ultimately durable as the 1050d ballistc nylon and my initial testing of the 525d version show it to survive "dragging" on the ground for a bit where I know the Halycon version would be scratched. However, you do not have to be especially gentle with Halycon. I am not with mine - just don't drag it on unpainted concrete or other hard coarse surface.

All the ballistic nylon - 1050d and new 525d version do not attract dust or lint AT ALL as @Ilkyway also mentions. Cordura is more natural looking and rougher looking while ballistic is more "urban" and smooth IMHO. Also, this 525d black is a deeper "black" than either the Cordura or 1050d ballistic nylon. It is also a tighter weave and, from reading the material section, the strands are "twisted" so that any damage does not create loose ends. The tighter weave also makes it even smoother than it 1050d brother. It is also stiffer than Halycon and keeps its shape better and does not do that "krinkle" thing (you can see this in the above pictures happening to the bottom pocket). As for cleaning, it is easier to clean ballistic nylon from my experience. It is, however, heavier than the Halycon version and does not stretch as easily (my experience) - things that would be important if you have back / shoulder sensitivities.

One difference if ordering one right now is that the new ballistic nylon version will have the new double thick and softer handle. The already produced Halycon and Cordura ones may still have the older webbing handle (not sure about this though)

... and yes ballistic nylon sounds cool - way cool - and is part of my perfect S25 dream!

Hope this helps
        Cheers!
        TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

Thank you tpnl. The pictures are very helpful. I think I'll wait and see about the new ballistic nylon. Would you happen to be able to post more pictures of your S25 in ballistic nylon in other angles? Thank you again.

Comment

Originally posted by Nef View Post
            Thank you tpnl. The pictures are very helpful. I think I'll wait and see about the new ballistic nylon. Would you happen to be able to post more pictures of your S25 in ballistic nylon in other angles? Thank you again.
            Hi @Nef,

I'd just like to point out that the Synapse 25 product pages have already been updated to show what the new 525d Ballistic colors in production look like from the front and side (in the first three views/thumbnails). For example, @tpnl's Synapse 525d interior is Canyon (leftmost of 3 open backpacks), but black 525d Synapse 25s are also offered in the new interior color of Viridian:

So here is the view from the side (a detailed examination shows this has the new handle at the top, where the webbing is doubled over and stitched), followed by a view of the Black/Viridian color combination.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Synapse-25-Black-2_1024x1024.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	301752

Click image for larger version

Name:	Synapse-25-Black-Viridian_1024x1024.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	301753

You can select any of the other "in production 5252d Ballistic S25 models from the drop-down menu on the product page to see the new color combinations (with truly new colors, like Mars Red)-- I just pasted in a few examples here.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Working...
            X