Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,576   Posts: 188,295   Members: 6,534   Active Members: 280
Welcome to our newest member, Skysarwer.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting a co-pilot to a backpack style carry- anyone done this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting a co-pilot to a backpack style carry- anyone done this?

I really need a backpack instead of a shoulder bag it seems. Anyone tried something like this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I "convert" mine by putting it in an A45 Packing Cube Backpack. It fits! Or I fold up the PCBP and put it in one of the front pockets of the Co-Pilot.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Comment

Greetings,
      The Co-Pilot might fit in the Daylight Backpack. Perhaps someone with both bags would test this and post photos. I don't have a Co-Pilot, but I do this with my Pilot and Packing Cube Backpack for the Tristar. elisa

Comment

The Co-Pilot does fit into the Daylight Backpack. It is my favorite way to convert it to backpack-wear if I have a long walk.

Originally posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
        Greetings,
        The Co-Pilot might fit in the Daylight Backpack. Perhaps someone with both bags would test this and post photos. I don't have a Co-Pilot, but I do this with my Pilot and Packing Cube Backpack for the Tristar. elisa
        ----
        All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
        Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
          The Co-Pilot does fit into the Daylight Backpack. It is my favorite way to convert it to backpack-wear if I have a long walk.
          Hi @bchaplin, do you carry your dlbp folded up somewhere in the copilot, and if so where does it fit? I'd be interested in ordering and pairing the two for when I want multiple carrying options, but am worried a folded dlbp would hog too much space in the cp. I like the internal organisation offered by the dlbp, but I'm assuming it doesn't fold as well as e.g. one of the varieties of packing cube backpack.

Comment

It's true that the DLBP takes up a lot of space in the Co-Pilot.
            On the days where I've tried it, I often ended up just wearing the empty DLBP on my back, since it's hardly noticeable, when the Co-Pilot is not actually inside it. It's possible that one of the packing cube backpacks would work better for this type of arrangement, folding up even smaller, because they don't have that inside layer of fabric?

--Beth
            ----
            All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
            Edmund Burke

Comment

What about something like this? https://www.thinktankphoto.com/produ...version-straps
              I'd clip the "bottom" of the straps to the side strap holes on the copilot.

In a pinch, I've also simply threaded a long cross body strap through the top handle loop and attached at the normal points to create a backpack style option. I did that with a non-TB bag though, the straps on the TB bags I have aren't long enough and/or I'm too big.
              Last edited by Kelly S; 08-04-2017, 10:29 AM. Reason: Forgetfulness?

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly S View Post
                What about something like this? https://www.thinktankphoto.com/produ...version-straps
                I'd clip the "bottom" of the straps to the side strap holes on the copilot.

In a pinch, I've also simply threaded a long cross body strap through the top handle loop and attached at the normal points to create a backpack style option. I did that with a non-TB bag though, the straps on the TB bags I have aren't long enough and/or I'm too big.
                Yeah I have strapettes for a hip bag but it doesn't fit on as well.
                I've yet to find a crossbody strap long enough to make it comfy as a backpack.
                Maybe I could ask for a super long TB strap to accomplish this for my birthday wish! (Id sew one myself but I don't trust my "skills".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                fredletsTravels.com

Comment

What about the Stowaway? Seems like it is exactly what you may need, and will give you a bit more room too.

Comment

Originally posted by anna2222 View Post
                    What about the Stowaway? Seems like it is exactly what you may need, and will give you a bit more room too.
                    It is, but I currently lack the wherewithal to get one trying to make do with what I have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I've said this before, but I would love a 3-way carry briefcase/backpack from TB. Something rectangular. A smaller WF, maybe around 16L, I don't know.

Comment

I have my eye on the pilot, copilot and parental unit, as they all have zippered tops and can carry bulky items. The Stowaway sounds promising, but at 830g for 12l of carrying capacity it looks to be quite a hefty bag.

Comment

@zephyr - I agree with you. A bit bigger then Pilot, but with backpack and slip straps.

I worry that the teeth on the Stowaway zippers would snag clothing when it's in backpack mode?

Comment

@fredlet,

This isn't a real solution to your wanting to carry the Co-Pilot backpack style, but have you considered using a Q-AM strap? @tpnl showed pictures of this in the Q-AM Strap and Pilot / CoPilot thread. What might make this more comfortable for you in a cross-body carry is that the Q-AM strap has a long, padded section that is in contact with your body, so the weight gets distributed across that length. They still have the Q-AM strap in stock -- at least a few dozen -- even though it is no longer advertised on the web site, since the other bags it was designed for (ID, Imago, Ego, Super Ego) have been retired, and the original Parental Unit design modified so as not to use this strap.

@tpnl also has a hack to carry the Pilot with the Q-AM strap, high up on your back. It does work, and is his preferred way of carrying the Pilot, but it isn't as effective for shorter people. (I have to adjust the strap length and position so exactly to get this to work, that I don't find it worthwhile. The main difference is that in bags originally designed for the Q-AM strap, the strap ends are threaded into the sides of the bag, and not connected with snaphooks. On larger and heavier bags, if you add snap hooks to the strap ends, and you are under 5'4", the connection between bag and strap tends to "flex" at the connector point, unless you adjust the strap closely.

But this strap might work better for you on the Co-Pilot. Because the nylon along the long, padded length of the Q-AM strap is smooth, it's easy to swing around the bags that are on your shoulder to access them and adjust their position. This is my favorite strap for the Imago.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Hi everyone! This is my solution to convert DLBC (pretty neat dimensions to Co-Pilot) to backpack - Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Day Pack. Weight only 68g and ultra compact.Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	512.3 KB
ID:	302146Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	629.0 KB
ID:	302147Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	302148