Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,741   Posts: 190,276   Members: 6,602   Active Members: 265
Welcome to our newest member, Cycw95.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need an EDC for one week in Rome (and beyond)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need an EDC for one week in Rome (and beyond)

Traveling to Rome for one week. I'll be taking my Aeronaut 45 and my wife will be taking the Osprey Porter 46. I'd love to get her an Aeronaut 30, but sadly they are out of stock and probably won't be in stock before we leave in two weeks!

I'm trying to figure out the best bag for an every day carry while we're in Rome. My wife has a handbag that she likes and will use it. I'm not big on carrying any bag, but decided to keep one handy this trip due to the potential weather (January in Rome). I have a Synapse 25, but would like to avoid a backpack because I am traveling with the Aeronaut 45.

With that said, I'm leaning toward a co-pilot but am not sure it's big enough. I have the Bose QC-35, which are too big for the bag but can fit in my wife's handbag. My EDC items in Rome will mostly be a a couple snack bars, bottle of water, rolled up rain coat or small travel umbrella, and possibly my puffer jacket which compresses into a small pillow sack.

I thought about the Pilot, but am thinking it's just too big to lug around everyday. We usually walk everywhere so size/weight of handbags are important factors.

I'd love to be able to use the bag in my daily commute to work (suit/tie) in which I carry a lunch box but no laptop, if that matters. I currently use my Synapse for that but don't love it for that purpose.

Any thoughts or recommendations? I need to place an order this week.

Thanks!

Wearing a backpack in Rome will definitely mark you as a tourist, so a smart shoulder bag of some sort will blend you in a bit better...
    The CP would work well as a smaller EDC, but you'd want to check the size of your lunch box to the depth of the largest compartment and/or be flexible in what you carry...
    good luck!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

If your lunch box can fit, the Medium Cafe Bag would be ideal, it can be transported inside the A45 and looks smart.

Comment

Originally posted by backpack View Post
        If your lunch box can fit, the Medium Cafe Bag would be ideal, it can be transported inside the A45 and looks smart.
        Thanks. My lunchbox is the lowest priority because I still have the synapse and other bags. I probably shouldn't have put that requirement in there. I just know that once I buy a bag I'll want to use it everyday! :-)

I'd love to buy the MCB but they only have it in one color right now, which is some variation of purple and that's too far outside my color spectrum.

Comment

I used one of my Pilots for our trip to Italy...which included several days in Rome....a few years ago. In my opinion it is a perfect choice for doing the tourist thing in Italy. It’s small enough to be pretty inconspicuous but big enough to carry much of what an overly prepared guy like myself would want to carry around. I also like that most to the zippers can be secured to one another with small Niteize carabiners. Whatever you take though be warned that our experience was that you will need to check in in pretty much every museum or gallery type of place you go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

If you want something more minimalist, the Daylight Briefcase is a good choice. It doesn't have a dedicated water bottle pocket, but there's space for one. It's surprisingly light yet roomy.

Comment

Originally posted by SIM View Post
              I used one of my Pilots for our trip to Italy...which included several days in Rome....a few years ago. In my opinion it is a perfect choice for doing the tourist thing in Italy. It’s small enough to be pretty inconspicuous but big enough to carry much of what an overly prepared guy like myself would want to carry around. I also like that most to the zippers can be secured to one another with small Niteize carabiners. Whatever you take though be warned that our experience was that you will need to check in in pretty much every museum or gallery type of place you go.

Thanks. I love the Pilot and your photo is great. If I don't get a Pilot now I certainly will in the near future. To me, it's a must-have in the bag inventory!

Originally posted by Rocks View Post
              If you want something more minimalist, the Daylight Briefcase is a good choice. It doesn't have a dedicated water bottle pocket, but there's space for one. It's surprisingly light yet roomy.
              I was actually looking at the DLBC a few minutes ago and will give it a try. Think I will place an order and just try a variety of bags and send a few back.

Comment

Originally posted by alio View Post
                I was actually looking at the DLBC a few minutes ago and will give it a try. Think I will place an order and just try a variety of bags and send a few back.
                If you've got the time and are planning to try-and-return anyway, you may want to throw the purple MCB into the cart just to try the size out for yourself. If it works, you could then grab a black one when they're back in stock. I've traveled with a Large Cafe Bag all over for nearly a decade now, and the cafe bags really do blend into most environments beautifully. ETA: I've also never had to check a cafe bag. FYI: There are Small Cafe Bags available in black and deep blue right now, but while they'd hold the snacks and water and possible the small umbrella (depending on its size), you'd have to hand-carry a jacket.
                Last edited by kmw; 01-09-2018, 08:55 AM.

Comment

I vote for a Pilot. I used one for Berlin, New York and California, big enough when you need it and light enough when you don’t have it full, but doesn’t look out of scale. I use mine, everyday for work, play and travel. A true edc bag, and for what you said you need to pack will be comfortable. (P.S. Bose QC35 fit perfect)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks all for the replies. I placed an order last week for the Pilot and the Daylight Backpack (and, of course, a few other accessories). I love the co-pilot and want to try it, but given that it doesn't hold a 13 inch laptop or the Bose QC35's it's probably just not a good decision. I will, however, be looking to trade for a co-pilot in the forums, or pick up one used on eBay.

My order will be here Tuesday so I'll let everyone know how it goes. I'm not sure if I'll take the Pilot to Rome - it's a little too big for what I want as an EDC on vacation but it is a bag that I have been wanting to use for work and other travel. The DLBC, however, is a neat little bag that I'm looking forward to playing with. I'm also looking forward to trying out the medium cafe bag on a future trip. As luck would have it I saw TB briefly had a black one in stock after I had placed my order but alas it was too late.

My inventory of TB products is growing so I think I'm off to the swap forum to start posting some trades!

Comment

You could always try calling TB and see if they have a MCB in stock in a different color. There is also a Ristretto on eBay that would work nicely (black/wasabi).

Depending on your clothing, the Co-Pilot (or Pilot) may look too much like a briefcase and look odd. I've found that the Cafe bags/Ristrettos fit better with non-business attire but also work well in business settings (depending on color and gender). My wife's purple Cafe Bag is fine for me with casual clothing but looks odd on me with with a business suit - it looks just fine on her with a suit.
                      When in trouble, obfuscate.

Comment

There is currently a Medium Cafe bag in black on ebay..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tom-Bihn-Me...MAAOSwBjdaSvch

Comment

No love for a Maker's Bag? I just ordered one to see if I can use it as an EDC as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Genkiba View Post
                            No love for a Maker's Bag? I just ordered one to see if I can use it as an EDC as well.
                            I love my Maker's Bag. It was EDC for quite awhile until I had to start taking my 15" MacBook Pro home again after work. I switched back to my Synapse 25 for the time-being. The MB should definitely work as an EDC
                            Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

Comment

Originally posted by Genkiba View Post
                              Definitely pack it up with real-life stuff to see how it works for you and your unique needs. I'd been dreaming of a Maker's Bag forever, but once I tried it on packed up, it just didn't work right. Something about the combo of the weight and shape of what I need to carry and the depth of the bag just makes my carry uncomfortable. It's a beautiful bag and works great for many (I envy them!); you just can't know for sure for you without trying out real-world combos.

Comment

Working...
                              X