Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sports bag recommendations: Ultimate (frisbee)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After years of sharing a cavernous sports bag with my Beloved, I'd like my own bag for Ultimate where I can find sunglasses/sunblock/water without digging through the contents. I'd also like it to be easy to check what I've got with me before I head out.

Here's a fairly typical load-out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gear-photo-1200.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	313033

Should be easy, right?

The main sticking point is carrying discs (frisbees): at least one and ideally two. They're each 27.5 cm in diameter (~10.8 inches) and 3 cm tall (~1.2 inches). It's okay if they get wet or muddy, so the only custom Ultimate bag I've seen had an external side-sleeve for them that meant they were neither on top of your gear nor buried under it.

What would you suggest I look at that could become my grab-and-go bag with organised gear, that'd sit happily and visibly by the sidelines in sun (with NZ's high UV), rain and wind (we've played in strong gales - short passes, many turnovers)?

Pop Tote? The smaller things can go in the side pockets. The water bottle looks like it'll fit in a side pocket too. The rest will fit in the body of the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocks View Post
      Pop Tote? The smaller things can go in the side pockets. The water bottle looks like it'll fit in a side pocket too. The rest will fit in the body of the bag.
      Oooh! I hadn't known that existed. Definitely worth a try.

Comment

And if you have one of those cheap nylon bags/sacks they give away at gyms, with sneakers, etc... the ones with the simple drawstring cords at the sides... that could hold the wet/muddy frisbees inside the Pop Tote... I use one like that for my flipflop/shower shoes inside my Pop Tote that I use as a gym bag...

Or get a large Shop Bag to serve the same purpose...

Having a separate bag keeps the muck away from your other stuff and if you turn them inside out and swish around in a sink of water once a week or so, it keeps things reasonably clean

FWIW, I reco the Mars Red Pop Tote so it doesn't get lost in the grass...with a large Canyon (if they make them again) or Northwest Sky Shop Bag

Cheers
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Hi there! I’m a retired ultimate player, also from a windy place - we got very good at the short passes with a lot of spin too! Some of those points were just epically long. Anyway, I think your best options are the Pop Tote or a Yeoman’s Duffle, with just a simple plastic grocery bag for muddy stuff (disks and shoes) to go inside. You might also consider a Shop Bag, which has side pockets for further organizing, to further separate things inside the Duffle.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanaper View Post
            After years of sharing a cavernous sports bag with my Beloved, I'd like my own bag for Ultimate where I can find sunglasses/sunblock/water without digging through the contents. I'd also like it to be easy to check what I've got with me before I head out.

Here's a fairly typical load-out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19720[/ATTACH]

Should be easy, right?

The main sticking point is carrying discs (frisbees): at least one and ideally two. They're each 27.5 cm in diameter (~10.8 inches) and 3 cm tall (~1.2 inches). It's okay if they get wet or muddy, so the only custom Ultimate bag I've seen had an external side-sleeve for them that meant they were neither on top of your gear nor buried under it.

What would you suggest I look at that could become my grab-and-go bag with organised gear, that'd sit happily and visibly by the sidelines in sun (with NZ's high UV), rain and wind (we've played in strong gales - short passes, many turnovers)?

Well if i were you I think I’d go for a S19... i just really like the look and the extra space it gives you, also wont you need a change of clothes?
            I really love my tom bihn bags, but maybe if you’re not convinced by any you can take a look at the “aer” backpacks!
            Last edited by Rincewind; 01-16-2018, 03:22 PM.

Comment

My Mars Pop Tote arrived after the end of the summer outdoor Ultimate season. We play a variant of Ultimate indoors in autumn and winter, though, and the bag is doing the job just fine.

Excellent suggestion. Much appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pop-tote-rotated (3).jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	303918

Comment

Working...
              X