Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,525   Posts: 187,787   Members: 6,487   Active Members: 306
Welcome to our newest member, cguan17.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Pilot large enough to fit a small drone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the Pilot large enough to fit a small drone?

Hi everyone, I just discovered Tom Bihn a week ago. I have a long spate of business trips on the docket for 2018 so have been looking to upgrade all my travel bags. I just ordered a Tri-star and looking for a general purpose electronics / notebook / computer bag to go along with it. For some of my personal trips, I like to carry a small DJI Spark drone in its case (170mm L x 170mm W x 56mm H). Would the Pilot be large enough to carry the drone in its case along with a laptop and small misc. items like headphones, notebook, pens, etc.?

Hi @chc12,

Welcome to the forums. The main compartment of the Pilot probably doesn't have the depth to be able to hold both your laptop and your drone. You don't state your laptop size and thickness, but although there is some give in the dividing wall between the main laptop compartment at the back of the Pilot, without relying on pushing this wall forward into the water bottle pocket and side pockets, you only have about half an inch thickness to accommodate your laptop.

Although I don't have my Pilot to hand, I'm basing my comments on my posted reply (#11) in the New Medical Bag & Suggestions for organization thread, where the dimensions are given to answer whether specific accessories can fit into the Pilot.

Similarly, your Spark drone case won't fit into the side pockets, since, with the central water bottle pocket in the middle, neither of these is large enough to handle the 170mm dimension.

You'd be able to use a Maker's Bag, if you're talking about a 13" or 14" laptop, since that bag does not have a divided interior, and has adequate depth for both laptop and drone case.

Previously mentioned bags used for carrying drones include the Night Flight Travel Duffel (OK for the drone case, but center section is too small to carry most laptops and notebooks -- maximum size fits about an iPad Air; see the query in the Night Flight internal dimensions thread).

Some people use dedicated cases for drones while traveling. See, for example, @allen2oo3's post in the Taking your hobbies with you thread:

(He switched to either a Synapse or a Daylight Backpack to carry the drone at his destination).

HTH

moriond

Comment

Working...
    X